VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am doing my first RallyCross this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had some good tips... I have been autocrossing for a couple years, although I am not great at it, I have fun, and am still learning.
I guess what I really want to know is how should I approach gravel differently from pavement? Should I be using my handbrake? Should I use more abrupt steering input? I am sure I should probably be left foot braking and all, but thats another level for me

Should be a fun time, I have a set of moderately used MIchelin Rally tires, which should help (I assume I will just get more grip than all seasons or snow tires?)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Re: RallyCross Advice (gtivr4)

Do all of the "good things" (smooth inputs, eyes up, etc) but understand that you will just have somewhat less grip. With actual rally tires, it is surprizing how little less grip dirt provides, relative to pavement. Try to avoid doing any goofy stuff with the controls - at least none that you aren't already comfortable with - and pay attention to what the car is telling you. It is WAY better to start off slow and precise, and get faster with technique, than it is to throw yourself at the project and have to gather it up later...
Have fun!
Kirk

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Re: RallyCross Advice (VW-BMW)

It'll be nicer when I get the cup holder and clear side lights...
K
Edit - forgot to mention that I chipped it. It fell over when I leaned it on the bench in front of Starbucks, and messed up the paint on the headset.

[Modified by Knestis, 4:24 PM 10-4-2002]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: RallyCross Advice (gtivr4)

Chris Havas will be there with his 1.8t and I'm sure he would be happy to give you some help. I'm running my 80Q and don't plan on setting any records, I'm just out for a good time. Come over to our truck and look me up. I know we've talked back and forth a few times and it would be nice to meet you. I'll be the tallest guy with a Vermont SportsCar t-shirt on ( depending on weather, I may be in a jacket
)
Clint

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.