VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All.
It's been a long time coming but I snagged a decent stopwatch from work and went out tonight to do some in-gear acceleration times. I was all by myself so I tried finding the most isolated place to do them....let me tell you it's hard to find a place where there is no one around.
Anyway, here are some results...all runs were performed twice on level roads. I give a +/-5% error in the results as I feel I did a pretty good job of timing them.
Conditions:
11:00PM Friday July 12, 2003
Fuel Load: 1/2 tank.
Passenger Load: Driver Only
Outside Temperature: 73 F
Modifications: None
Times listed below are averages of two seperate runs each.
Run 1: 20-40 MPH
2nd Gear: 3.16 seconds [Starting RPM = 2216]
3rd Gear: 4.23 seconds [Starting RPM = 1559]
Run 2: 30-50 MPH
3rd Gear: 5.40 seconds [Starting RPM = 2338]
4th Gear: 7.57 seconds [Starting RPM = 1829]
Run 3: 60-80 MPH
4th Gear: 4.82 seconds [Starting RPM = 3659]
5th Gear: 5.57 seconds [Starting RPM = 2969]
I would have liked to have gone to 90 but it would have been tough to do with only two hands. By comparison...an RSX-S is supposed to do the 60-90 run in 7.3 seconds (according to CAR or Top Gear or EVO...can't remember which exactly).
From what I could tell, I'd say this car would have been about a full second quicker quite easily. It really moves on the highway.
It'd be interesting to see how modifications and the VF add-on change these times.

· Banned
1,663 Posts
Re: Ran Some Preliminary In-Gear Acceleration Times. (Integrale)

I found if you do a little math you can use Road and Track to find out the in-gear acc. of cars they have done full road tests on. I've never timed mine, but based on cars I have kept up w/ and beaten that have a reputation for being faster, I can figure out pretty accurately what new cars to run and how to to get good results. IE from a roll and how fast etc. Good work. Taking a page from the RX-7 and MKIV Supra cats http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Ran Some Preliminary In-Gear Acceleration Times. (cosmosis)

Quote, originally posted by cosmosis »
I found if you do a little math you can use Road and Track to find out the in-gear acc. of cars they have done full road tests on. I've never timed mine, but based on cars I have kept up w/ and beaten that have a reputation for being faster, I can figure out pretty accurately what new cars to run and how to to get good results. IE from a roll and how fast etc. Good work. Taking a page from the RX-7 and MKIV Supra cats http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Cosmosis...
which cars have you encountered that you got good results with and what were the situations...?? Roughly speaking that is...I don't want this thread to be closed just because of a few comments as I want to share my results with all the 24valvers...

· Registered
4,593 Posts

sounds good, i was playing around with my car last night with my friend *he just got a new camero, well new to him* so we were messing around, i would have done some accel tests but i didnt have a watch on me. but considering he has a Z28, with tons of stuff done to it *he has 345 at the wheels* we were on the highway and took it up, by the end yea he was in front of me, but i was hanging with him just fine, he pulled like mad in 1st gear, 2nd 1/2 way through thats where he stopped pulling and i just stayed that distance the rest of the time, by the time he was going 125 i was going 113-115ish so 10 mph difference by that point and he has almost 2 times the horse power as me, id say this car is a damn fine compeditor up top http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
sorry i was giving you flak earlier intergrale, just got annoying how youd ask all the time, ill leave ya alone now though
and ill do some too in a few weeks, and i have mods so we will see how that affects things http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Ran Some Preliminary In-Gear Acceleration Times. (2002gtibluvr6)

Quote, originally posted by 2002gtibluvr6 »
sounds good, i was playing around with my car last night with my friend *he just got a new camero, well new to him* so we were messing around, i would have done some accel tests but i didnt have a watch on me. but considering he has a Z28, with tons of stuff done to it *he has 345 at the wheels* we were on the highway and took it up, by the end yea he was in front of me, but i was hanging with him just fine, he pulled like mad in 1st gear, 2nd 1/2 way through thats where he stopped pulling and i just stayed that distance the rest of the time, by the time he was going 125 i was going 113-115ish so 10 mph difference by that point and he has almost 2 times the horse power as me, id say this car is a damn fine compeditor up top http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
sorry i was giving you flak earlier intergrale, just got annoying how youd ask all the time, ill leave ya alone now though
and ill do some too in a few weeks, and i have mods so we will see how that affects things http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Hey no problem...I just hope more people get involved with this type of testing...it's really fun too.
The flexibility of this engine is very good...above 2500 it really begins to move.

· Banned
1,663 Posts

Yeah, lets not get this closed
Honestly,what I think is that anything north of a magazine quater of 14.3 or 14.4 is fair game. At least on the freeway if not from a light--we all know the VR can suffer out of the hole on the street or strip. Honestly I've made my fair share of Mustang (all years stock or minimal mods), E36 M3 (STOCK, walked petty good by one with @least exhaust) CL/TL type S, Boxster, Hatches w/ B16, stock WRX's etc. I look at trap speeds a lot I guess. I notice a big variation in times but traps tell more. I'm not afraid of anything that traps under 99. May not win, but its usually close.
Point is, with the fuel addition and timing advance from a chip it wakes these motors up. As far as I'm concerned the kind of aggessive programing in a chip is how it should have come from the factory. Stock I couldn't play w those and in gear punches often yield diffrent/better results for my car than an out of the hole or 1st gear roll. It's a lot of gearing issues.
Like hatches with swaps: from any thing under a third gear punch or out of the hole I get pulled, but I always pull back in my third when they hit fourth and have no probs in fourth as long as it wasn't a slaughter or B18 derivitive w/ mad work.
I find a similar thing w/ 24 valves, I think you guys have good 1-3 gears and third gear punch @ say, 60 or 65 for you puts you in a sweet spot. My ideal 3rd punch is 70 or 75. Gearing and the fact we are front wheel drive have a major effect in different conditions.
I want a clean run w/ an s2k because I suspect it'd be close to about 120/125 (horsepower/power to weight always wins). But they and the M3 guys are always like
Anyway, this is just from my experience and a little interpolation of mag times vs. playing w/ the actual car and knowing/doubting that even if I was good @ dragging and went to Moroso my car, as of now, probably would'nt be good for anything better than like a high 14.

-T-

· Banned
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I want a clean run w/ an s2k because I suspect it'd be close to about 120/125 (horsepower/power to weight always wins). But they and the M3 guys are always like

-T-

I know for a fact that I may lose to an S2000 off the line if he dumps the clutch at 6000 RPM, but I went with an S2000 once with a guy who lives about half a block away from me. I posted this a while back...on the freeway he couldn't close the gap at all.
People won't believe us so don't bother wasting your time telling some of the S2000 lovers here on the Tex.

· Registered
38 Posts

interesting stuff, but i think for the speed runs for 30-50 and 60-80, you should have dropped down another gear. In other words for:
30-50 start in 2nd
60-80 start in 3rd
if second in my car tops out just below 60 then @ 30 youd be in the sweet spot at around 3k. Likewise 4rth @ 60 is a dog, 5th is pointless. I always down shift to 3rd in the 55-60 mph range. I would imagine those times to be further improved further justifying your claim.

· Banned
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Ran Some Preliminary In-Gear Acceleration Times. (gabadoo)

Quote, originally posted by gabadoo »
interesting stuff, but i think for the speed runs for 30-50 and 60-80, you should have dropped down another gear. In other words for:
30-50 start in 2nd
60-80 start in 3rd
if second in my car tops out just below 60 then @ 30 youd be in the sweet spot at around 3k. Likewise 4rth @ 60 is a dog, 5th is pointless. I always down shift to 3rd in the 55-60 mph range. I would imagine those times to be further improved further justifying your claim.

Your advice is well taken and I'm sure the times would have improved as you suggested.
Actually the 4th gear punch at 60 isn't bad at all...relatively speaking with other cars it's quite good. 3rd of course would have been better.
I was going to get around to doing 30-50 in 2nd and so on but I was loitering too much in one place and didn't want to attract too much attention.
One thing the tests do prove is the flexibility of the engine is superb. It may be more evident if we see times for similar performance figures of other cars.

· Banned
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Didn't you used to have an Integra or a hatch w/ a swap? I know about people not beleiving, but a punch is different from a standing start...

No I've never owned an Integra...use to own a Civic though.
I agree, a punch is different. But many would unfortunately still not believe you (or me).

· Banned
12,633 Posts
Re: Ran Some Preliminary In-Gear Acceleration Times. (gabadoo)

Quote, originally posted by gabadoo »
30-50 start in 2nd
60-80 start in 3rd

Agreed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.