VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving a few weeks ago and out of no where something started to make some scrary noises. After the tranny/clutch, warms up it will make a grinding/clunking no madder which way i turn the noise continues. Clutch engaged/not still makes the noise, and whatever the noise is, it changes with the speed of the car. It has made it a few times, when it happens, is stops after about 20 sec. One of the times it happend there was a squiling noise that also changed in pitch with the speed of the car, and will stop when the car is in place. the squiling didnt stop untill i reached my destination. I didnt drive the car for a while but the other day u drove it around. it was fine accept after a while, the clunking/grinding noise came back, this time with out the squiling. It stopped after about 15 sec, and i drove straight home.

Please help me. Ive had this 91 GTi 16v for about a 2 weeks before this started, and i havent drove it much since, i think you could understand what im saying.
PS. These noises are strong enough to feel it through out the car
-Matt

· Registered
371 Posts
Re: Random loud knocking noise (85werocco)

If it only changes with the speed of the car, but not engine rpm, then it's gotta be from the diff outwards. Like the diff itself (bad news), or CV joints (noise would usually change when you turn, but not always), or wheel bearings (ditto), or it could even be a brake disc. Hard to be more specific until you experience more specific symptoms.

· Registered
371 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 85werocco »

Alright well, im not to sure what terms to use. but what kind of sounds and what symtoms would a bad diff have?

Well, it sort of makes a random loud knocking noise
, and then later it explodes, pieces fly out through your gearbox housing, oil comes flying out (possibly soaking your clutch), etc. It's sort of a rite of passage for an A2 owner.
Do a search in the forums for "bolt kit" and "SMS". My personal theory is that the 020 diff was designed by an East German defector/ double-agent.
For your sake, I hope it's a CV joint or something.
Quote, originally posted by 85werocco »

Does the fact that i can't find 5th gear mean anything. My shift bushings are complete shyt, but im not sure if thats why i can't find it.

Sh|tty bushings or a misaligned shifter can certainly be the problem. Then again, 5th gear is the first to go if your gear oil is low. Which could be caused by a rivet in the diff making a hole in the gearbox housing.
Why don't you get under the car and investigate? Look for holes in the gearbox, torn CV joint boots, etc. Jack it up and check for play in the wheels. Check the gear oil level. If everything seems OK, go for a short drive and try to localize the noise. Take a passenger, roll down the windows, listen. When the sound starts, push it through a few turns to see if that changes anything. (It sucks to have vague symptoms like that... you just have to keep looking & listening.)

· Registered
2,378 Posts

is the noise present when idling without stepping on the clutch and goes away after you step on it? if thats the case, it something internal in the tranny.

Modified by Dimitri16V at 6:04 PM 7-23-2003

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I checked them, and they are pretty loose. It seems like my right has a bad inner boot and the left is the out. The right is a lot looser then the left too. Would the CVs really be making a noise this loud?

· Registered
19 Posts

yes! Its strange how these joints make noise and the noise almost seems like a diff or something. When mine failed, the damn thing still had grease in it
. I did'nt pay a cent as this axle has only been touched by lithia vw and nobody else, so the entire axle was replaced under the powertrain warranty and what a pain in the ass that was. If the joints are bad then there will be alot of play, more that normal and most likely you'll be able to really shake the axle by moving it up and down really hard, if it moves then its your joints.

· Registered
371 Posts

Quote »

I checked them, and they are pretty loose. It seems like my right has a bad inner boot and the left is the out. The right is a lot looser then the left too. Would the CVs really be making a noise this loud?

Definitely yes, they can be as loud as any other failure in the driveline. That's probably your problem right there. Glad it's shaping up to be outside the tranny. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I had the shift linkage adjusted and 5th came back. I took it for a drive and i didnt get the knocking. I'm having a bushing kit installed and ill go from there. i dont like this mech. so i'm going to let him do this and ill bring my car to a friend to do the CVs.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well he still hasnt gotten these bushings in yet. But he drained my tranny oil and said there was a lot of metal shavings in it. does that pretty much mean im screwed?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well my tranny died
. Now im in the market for a rebuilt transmission
. I was wondering what options i have for my rebuild? What is a good price range on a rebuild?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.