VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quote:[HR][/HR]Range Grow-Ver Is Coming
Those who think bigger is better are in for some good news – the new Range Rover will be offered in an XXL size! Land Rover is currently finalising plans for a long-wheelbase edition of its luxury off-roader.
Expected to measure some 5,200mm in length, it will be more than 20cm longer than the standard car. The extra metal is added behind the B-pillar to benefit the rear seat passengers and give the extra legroom demanded by chauffeur-driven owners. The car is being aimed at buyers who currently opt for a long-wheelbase Jaguar XJ8 or Mercedes S-Class LWB.
The off-roader will be fully re-engineered to cope with the extra weight and length, with recalibrated suspension and electronic control systems. The lengthened version of the Range Rover's high-strength monocoque shell will also be fully crash-tested. Using a custom specification list offered under Land Rover's exclusive Autobiography options package, the 4x4 will be available with DVD players, mobile phones and fax machines. Sporting owners can have gun racks, secure ammunition boxes and refrigerators fitted.
Engine choice will also grow with the arrival of the newcomer, although the widely tipped 6.0-litre V12 is not expected to make production for the foreseeable future. The Aston Martin unit is a tight fit in the Range Rover's engine bay, and its weight could spoil the car's handling and off-road ability.
Insiders suggest Jaguar's supercharged 4.0-litre V8 is more likely to debut. This 370bhp unit would offer an impressive performance boost and the low-down torque required for off-road use. Diesel fans will have to wait until at least 2004, however, when Ford is expected to launch an all-new 4.0-litre V8 oil-burner, offering 250bhp and an astonishing 650Nm of torque.
by Dan Strong
[HR][/HR]​
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/otash/newnews/newsarticle-main.php3?id=3708

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Range Rover XXL (David Votoupal)

quote:[HR][/HR]Interesting... wonder how the competition (Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan) will react
[HR][/HR]​
Mercedes will react in 2004 when the new ML will be released. But from my point of vue ( and i'm not alone.....lol) Range Rover have more off road capabillities than the ML..... Anyway MB has another range for pure off road: G Class.... but that's another story.....

I know for sure how BMW will react. in terms of dimensions: X7. In terms of power it's X5 4.6is

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Range Rover XXL (Rob)

quote:[HR][/HR]The new RR kicks ass. [HR][/HR]​
You are right.....First of all, BMW worked some years on this model

Too bad it has not a german engine too

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Range Rover XXL ( from. www. autoexpress.co.uk) 29.Nov. (Khahn)

Everyone is going XL now. From the cheapest Grand Vitara XL7 to Trailblazer EXT to Range Rover XXL which is probably the most expensive of the "XL". Mercedes will have a XL of M-Class for next model.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Range Rover XXL (Khahn)

quote:[HR][/HR]The new RR kicks ass.
You are right.....First of all, BMW worked some years on this model

Too bad it has not a german engine too
[HR][/HR]​
Oops .... Sorry

Range Rover will make it's debut next year with 2 engines:
V8 4.4 litre gasoline ( from BMW)
6 cil. 3.0 litre Diesel ( from BMW)
After 2 years will be a more powerfull V8 ( also from BMW) and a V12 ( BMW or Jaguar).
Now it's ok.

To make mistakes is human.......

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Range Rover XXL (A4Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]Not me either.

For off-roader, I would choose Land Cruiser/LX470 or current Range Rover.
For city SUV, I would choose Cayenne.[HR][/HR]​
For off-roader: new Range Rover 6 cil. 3.0 litre Diesel ( this engine on BMW's has 186 bph & 390 Nm torque).
For city SUV: Cayenne no doubt.
But, to be more realistic ( it's about price.....lol), must see the new BMW X3 ( 2004).

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: Range Rover XXL (Rob)

quote:[HR][/HR]The new RR kicks ass. Only SUV I'd really want to own.[HR][/HR]​
For a sudden moment I was thinking Rolls Royce, not Range Rover. I was like "WTH is he talikng about"

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Range Rover XXL (A4Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]Price wise, we should also look at upcoming A3 and A4 allroad. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
For me the next A3 allroad it's a must. SUV's are another range......I like alot this AUDI concept started with A6 allroad. The concept i mean....lol....From my point of vue A6 has a high price. But a A3 Allroad http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Also i will look forward to the new X3..... if i'm thinking better.... i would love to have them both .....anyway, both will be released in the same time period ( late 2003 for A3 & 2004 for X3).
In the A6 Allroad range price i would look for a real SUV.... But that's only my opinion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.