VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family owned a small GM dealership way back when and I thought that I was familiar with most of the rarer options available but this is one that I confess that I have never heard of. It was a dealer installed thing and apparently it used a switch installed on the floor board that activated two canisters, one in each wheel well. Some sort of compound was sprayed on to the tires that would allow them to grip on slick surfaces. Apparently it was only around for the 1969 model year and less that 3,000 units were sold. It was available under UPC code V75 and was called 'Liquid Tire Chain':
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Can't tell if that's a Camaro or a Firebird,...

Registered
I found a Hagerty article about it:

Unfortunately neither the Ebay listing nor the Hagerty article state what's in the can, though I wonder if it's methanol or something. It's labeled as extremely toxic and flamable but also an anti-icing agent, so I feel like methanol is the cheap answer.

EDIT: Yep, it's methanol: NOS AC Delco Liquid Tire Chain LTC 400 Camaro Chevelle 1 Bottle | eBay Picture 4 in the listing shows it.

Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
can you refill the canisters with this?
Automotive tire Camera accessory Gas Rectangle Liquid

Registered

Registered
in the spirit of the times, it was probably flammable, carcinogenic, non biodegradable, toxic, sweet tasting, homophobic, and promoted civil war in 3rd world countries 馃お
I hear it didn't smell great, but smoking with the windows up made it less noticeable.

Registered
I absolutely love the smell of high-octane leaded race gas, especially when mixed with a little castor oil. It鈥檚 terrible for the environment and central nervous system health. But it smells like the happy days of my youth.

Aerosolized methanol mixed with scorched rubber and overheated gear oil definitely doesn鈥檛 smell as nice.

Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
I kept expecting Kato or someone from SPECTRE to appear from behind a tree and use some kind of Rube Goldberg machine to apprehend the lady.

Of course the headlight washer, rear window defogger and tire de-icer would be activated and she鈥檇 get away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Methanol. That's easy enough to keep handy. I'll have to try it on some old tires.

Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
in the spirit of the times, it was probably flammable, carcinogenic, non biodegradable, toxic, sweet tasting, homophobic, and promoted civil war in 3rd world countries 馃お
That's racist.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts