VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could someone here please help me with wiring in a canbus simulator? I have a 2007 gti and recently bought a rcd330. My battery dies after the car has been left for a day or so (as expected).

I bought a iso-quadlock cable with a canbus simulator attached on ebay with the hope of removing the simulator and wiring it in to my existing quadlock. The only problem is im struggling to understand which wires to connect. Can i just remove the original canbus wires and connect the ones off the simulator in to the back of the head unit? The are also ACC and ILL wires on the simulator too.. can they just be ignored? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cables can be removed from the cube and replaced with the emulator. The rest you have to connect

Wysłane z mojego PRA-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok so it's plug and play for 2015 and older, sounds like you might have issues with the steering wheel controls and backup camera, I do not have either of those. What about the factory Bluetooth and buttons between the headrests? Will those continue to work? Will the factory mic still be used?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed RCD330G 187B in my 2011 Sportwagen and it seems that the unit is still fully functional even when the car is turned off. What do I need to do to fix this?

I’m also looking to install this backup camera (Esky). Does anyone have advice on installing a camera that is not the one built into the trunk handle?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just put an RCD330 187b in my 2017 Jetta S. I ordered the "ISO Upgrade Radio Adapter 2015 to 2003" harness with the radio and it was pretty much plug an play. No messing with pins. You just need to drop out "5F" and add "56" in the CAN module. Only problem I had was the antenna adapter has a short in it. The seller is shipping me a replacement one, though. I also ordered a RGB/CVBS converter for the rear camera, but that didn't get here yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, could you explain more about how to drop out "5F" and add "56" in the CAN module? Thanks!

Just put an RCD330 187b in my 2017 Jetta S. I ordered the "ISO Upgrade Radio Adapter 2015 to 2003" harness with the radio and it was pretty much plug an play. No messing with pins. You just need to drop out "5F" and add "56" in the CAN module. Only problem I had was the antenna adapter has a short in it. The seller is shipping me a replacement one, though. I also ordered a RGB/CVBS converter for the rear camera, but that didn't get here yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
kang4600

Hello, could you explain more about how to drop out "5F" and add "56" in the CAN module? Thanks!
In VCDS go to 19-CAN --> Installation List, then uncheck 5F(Information Electr.) and check 56(Radio)

·
Registered
163 Posts
jgeraldini

Where did you get your RGB adaptor?
I bought a RGB to CVBS adapter off eBay and a camera off aliexpress in case I couldn't get the adapter to work. Turns out I didn't need either of them! When I originally replaced the radio I didn't look that close at the blue connector and when I took it out to try to use my adapter, I noticed that there were 2 shielded cables going to the connector and only one coming from the factory camera in the trunk. The one shielded cable used the same CVBS pins marked on the radio, so I plugged it in and everything worked! Factory camera has a CAN connection so it knows when to turn on and off. I have no clue what the other shielded cable is used for. Before doing this I wasted hours trying to find the pinout for my factory radio(561035150A). I even subscribed to erWin to get the wiring diagram. So to sum it up in a 2017 Jetta S this radio is almost a direct replacement. The only thing you need is ISO Upgrade Radio Adapter 2015 to 2003 harness. I got mine from the same guy I got the radio from on aliexpress.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking into buying this radio for my 2012 Passat. There are some on eBay with the same model number that have TRUE Android Auto support (this was what prevented me from purchasing previously - only carplay at the time). Now, this is a game changer. I am curious, however, if this is strictly a firmware update to the identical radio? And if so, could I buy a cheaper 187B that just has the Car play support and update the firmware myself? People are up charging the Android Auto version a good $100 .
Any experience, guys?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wanted to give everyone a quick update on how my 187B has been running.

For the most part it works great.. I pretty much keep it on Carplay all the them.. But I have run into a problem where when I do listen to the radio, the system will start scanning all the stations by itself. So, I do not know if mine is a defect or not.. but buyer beware on this one....

Update. I found a new firmware online. Version 5314. I flashed that and fixed my issue. You can find it online by googling

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am8nQJSlrtIAbqYukWiRwvNr9Zw

That is firmware for 187b only.

My next task is to work on this firmware to make some tweaks like removing AM from the radio menu and changing the boot logo.
What version was your radio before upgrading to 5314? I just installed a RCD330 and it is version 0317. I am curious to know if 5314 is newer and will mine upgrade to it?

Other info on my system info:
Device part number: 6RD035187B
Hardware: 036
Software: 0317
Bluetooth: c250
Apple CarPlay: [email protected]

I noticed mine only has balance and not fader which prompted some research. I found the 5314 has both balance and fader. Not sure if I am missing any other 5314 features.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
2014 jetta GLI autobahn with NAV w RNS315

Hello, I have been reading all the available threads on the RCD330 Plus 6RD 035 187 B version.

It sounds like I can direct swap into my 2014 autobahn (fender) w nav using this adapter for the backup cam

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...&terminal_id=5f3818918afd49fda1c748fffd689ed2

I will lose MFD for radio and BT calling but will still work for other features like trip computer.

I will also lose sirius but can replace with the iphone app at a higher cost and data use.

Is there a chance if I wait a newer unit will be available that supports MFD? People say they don't use it but It is really nice for the navigation and calling to not have to look down.

I have a older version of VCDS but it sounds like I just need to disconnect the battery to make the fender system work.

I am pretty happy with the way the RNS315 works with the MFD sirius and backup camera but want to try carplay somehow i think it wont ba as good a experience as I have now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have a 2016 Tiguan and plan to replace the factory radio with the 187b radio. Could you send me a link where you bought the adapter 2015 to 2003? Also I am a little lost in the camera part. What do the CVBS pins look like? Did you plug in the blue connector to the adapter which connects to the new radio? Thanks in advance.

I bought a RGB to CVBS adapter off eBay and a camera off aliexpress in case I couldn't get the adapter to work. Turns out I didn't need either of them! When I originally replaced the radio I didn't look that close at the blue connector and when I took it out to try to use my adapter, I noticed that there were 2 shielded cables going to the connector and only one coming from the factory camera in the trunk. The one shielded cable used the same CVBS pins marked on the radio, so I plugged it in and everything worked! Factory camera has a CAN connection so it knows when to turn on and off. I have no clue what the other shielded cable is used for. Before doing this I wasted hours trying to find the pinout for my factory radio(561035150A). I even subscribed to erWin to get the wiring diagram. So to sum it up in a 2017 Jetta S this radio is almost a direct replacement. The only thing you need is ISO Upgrade Radio Adapter 2015 to 2003 harness. I got mine from the same guy I got the radio from on aliexpress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking into buying this radio for my 2012 Passat. There are some on eBay with the same model number that have TRUE Android Auto support (this was what prevented me from purchasing previously - only carplay at the time). Now, this is a game changer. I am curious, however, if this is strictly a firmware update to the identical radio? And if so, could I buy a cheaper 187B that just has the Car play support and update the firmware myself? People are up charging the Android Auto version a good $100 .
Any experience, guys?
I would love to know this too. I purchased the 187B CarPlay/Baidu CarLife version to save some dough, but would love to re-flash it and add Android Auto support to it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, Guys

I've recently received and installed my RCD330 Plus 187B in my 2013.5 VW MK6 GLI to replace my RNS315. After installing the unit, unplugging/replugging the battery everything is working great with my Fender audio system!! Also, I have coded the unit using VCDS to activate rear view camera which seemed to work as I am now getting the "Rear view camera not available" error. Now, I am trying to install the rear view camera using the RGB to RCA Video Output Converter from CarSolutions:

https://car-solutions.com/en/oem-camera-connection-adapter-for-volkswagen.php

I was able to connect the RCA output and factory camera input cable but I am unsure what I need to do with the: Gnd, Battery+ and Back cable

Do I just need to tap these wires into the corresponding wires on the big harness using the RCD330's pinout graph?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let me know how you wired this up I have a 14 GLI AUTOBAHN w nav and bought the same adapter.

You can tap + and - from the quad lock but I do not see which pin is the reverse lights to trigger the camera.

The other thing I am wondering about is if I need to recede the radio to use the external mic's built into the car.

Hi, Guys

I've recently received and installed my RCD330 Plus 187B in my 2013.5 VW MK6 GLI to replace my RNS315. After installing the unit, unplugging/replugging the battery everything is working great with my Fender audio system!! Also, I have coded the unit using VCDS to activate rear view camera which seemed to work as I am now getting the "Rear view camera not available" error. Now, I am trying to install the rear view camera using the RGB to RCA Video Output Converter from CarSolutions:

https://car-solutions.com/en/oem-camera-connection-adapter-for-volkswagen.php

I was able to connect the RCA output and factory camera input cable but I am unsure what I need to do with the: Gnd, Battery+ and Back cable

Do I just need to tap these wires into the corresponding wires on the big harness using the RCD330's pinout graph?

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Let me know how you wired this up I have a 14 GLI AUTOBAHN w nav and bought the same adapter.

You can tap + and - from the quad lock but I do not see which pin is the reverse lights to trigger the camera.

The other thing I am wondering about is if I need to recede the radio to use the external mic's built into the car.
I used the same 12V "+" as suggested by carsolutions. As for the radio I just used the adapter provided with the head unit that just plugs into the original cable and the other end in the head unit and it worked!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Got a RCD330plus from ebay for Christmas https://www.ebay.com/itm/222691363032?ul_noapp=true . Install was plug and play (minus deactivating the reverse camera) and didn't have to disconnect the battery to get sound to work (tho i did anyways). Works as advertised minus the documented quirks

Anyhoo, i'd love to code dynaudio support on the radio, but vcds will crap out with an out of range error when trying to change any of the relevant bits on 56 radio. I have a 2012 golf R with nav and dynaudio, so i wonder if i need to disable anything on can gateway to get the car to forget the old rns315 and accept the codings for the RCD330.

I read a lot of forums here and there, but nothing seems to work for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VW Jetta 2011 se 2.5l

Does anyone know if this is plug and play for the 2011 VW Jetta se 2.5l? Also do the steering wheel controls work with it too?

21 - 40 of 97 Posts