VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
4. Coding this thing?

The proper coding for the unit is
16 00 04 40 00 05

40 at block 4 enables the reverse camera.

If you have Fender change block 2 to 01. If you have Dynaudio change block 2 to 05. On either you will also have to change block 3 to 00.

I used a OBDeleven and had to go to Radio-56, switch to development mode in service to change block 2.

In all aspects of coding our NA VW's consider these to be RCD-510's and you can use the same code labels in VCDS.
I also have an obdeleven. When trying to change bits in radio56, it won't let me make the change for fender. I also entered dev mode, it gives me the 31 not available.

I disconnected the battery at installation so it "works", but it's not giving line-level output, it's trying to power the speakers, so 3 clicks up from zero volume is pretty loud.

a bit of a noob with the coding aspect, but i haven't found any other information other than yours :p

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm trying to install the RCD330 in my 2015 Jetta but I'm still confused about the backup camera - I have the adapter from car solutions (https://car-solutions.com/en/oem-camera-connection-adapter-for-volkswagen.php). I know i have to connect the red and black wires to a 12v and a ground, and I understand that the yellow is a trigger wire to activate the backup camera? Basically if I just use the adapter will the backup camera work, or do I have to wire the yellow "back" wire to something?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys

I'm still having trouble with this so thought I'd start a new thread and share what I've learnt with others on the same mission. Maybe the group intelligence will get it solved...

My goal is to retain the factory camera with dynamic trajectory. If possible...

Car is a 2009 Passat R36 wagon ex-Japan.

I have the crngiar Android Auto RCD330+ head unit. HW:534. SW: 5515 pre-installed.

Everything on the head unit works as it should except I get an error message when selecting reverse that the "rear view" camera system is currently unavailable. A few seconds later park pilot activates on the screen and works as it should.

With the rear tail gate open I just get park pilot - no error message, no camera. So the system is correctly detecting the tailgate is open.

I've tried installing one of those ebay / aliexpress 26 pin RGB-CVBS converters but no good. Today just to be certain I had wired it correctly I tapped the yellow wire (back/reverse) into the reverse light (previously it was just constant 12V) but still no dice. I'm getting +12V at red, have tested ground, and was getting +12v at the reverse/back wire.

So I decided to pull the rear panel off the tailgate and take a look at the camera wiring which is where things get interesting. There are 6 wires coming off the tailgate handle:

2x black with their own harness - presumably for the tailgate latch.

4x coming off the camera:

red and black to their own harness. I measured 6V across these wires when reverse is selected (tailgate up) and nothing when in Park.

yellow and black to a shielded coax-style connector (grey with purple in photo)

So this is not an RGB output then?! But rather looks like coax? Anyone familiar with this?

It raises a couple of questions:

Where do the dynamic trajectory lines get added? They obviously need steering wheel input and then get overlaid. CANbus function?

More interestingly - if it's a coax output, does the factory setup then convert this to RGB somewhere before outputting it to the 26-pin connector? Why?

And if so I would be able, theoretically, to connect a coax cable with RCA connector to these two wires and plug it straight into the RCD330+ RCA-in albeit without trajectory lines?

Also, there should be no reason why the RGB-CVBS converter doesn't work as surely it is just taking the video signal from the 26-pin connector and converting it? Unless that connector also needs some sort of input to let it know it's connected to a headunit before it outputs a signal?

Anyone able to share their experiences or shed any light on any of these questions?

·
Registered
965 Posts
What version was your radio before upgrading to 5314? I just installed a RCD330 and it is version 0317. I am curious to know if 5314 is newer and will mine upgrade to it?

Other info on my system info:
Device part number: 6RD035187B
Hardware: 036
Software: 0317
Bluetooth: c250
Apple CarPlay: [email protected]

I noticed mine only has balance and not fader which prompted some research. I found the 5314 has both balance and fader. Not sure if I am missing any other 5314 features.

Thanks!!
Hey how are you doing ? I have the same version as you. It's been a bit buggy and crashy at times.

I tried to update using a file I found online and it didn't work. Have you managed to update ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if this is plug and play for the 2011 VW Jetta se 2.5l? Also do the steering wheel controls work with it too?
I have the same car as well. Would love for this to work with the steering wheel controls. Sounds like it is pretty simple, but the FAQ says our car needs some adapter so the battery won't drain. Hopefully someone has some experience with a 2011 mk6

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It will work with steering wheel controls and no drain present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I bought a 187B the other day on eBay and it finally came. To my surprise, it did not come with a fakra adapter. (I didn't realize it didn't include them :() Would someone be able to link me to one that is fairly cheap and relatively fast shipping to Canada? Having a hard to time finding one that won't take months to arrive.

Where I bought mine: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Radio-RCD33...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cheers!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Found an interesting site this weekend: rcd330plus.com

Lots of info, firmware downloads and instructions on tweaks and upgrades for the many variants of the RCD330g+. I converted all my menus to red using one of the guides/downloads I found and it worked like a champ. But read carefully as the type and version of your head unit makes a difference on what you can do with it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Battery Drain Issue in vw polo highline 2012,after updating desay rcd330g plus 187b from stock RCD310

Hello. I am putting this together to save people wanting to retrofit this radio a whole lot of time. This retrofit requires a little bit of vw and electrical knowledge.

This relates to the 187B "no name" with CarPlay model. May or may not apply to the Dessay brand one. Also, this pertains to North American cars as I do not know anything about ROW cars.

First, to set the expectation... this radio is fantastic. It is a great upgrade for those with the base radio. It is not a RNS "like" unit, but CarPlay is life changing.

So, here we go...

1. Is it plug and play?

No. It may look like it on 2015 and older but it is not. The 12 pin blocks are not pinned the same. I recommend repinning the wires on a new quadlock. I used a Scosche VW03RB. It is cheaper than getting one of those harness things and looks better.

Radio wire blocks are the same, power and can are the same. If you are retrofitting this to a 2016+ car you are going to have to move things around and get creative. I had to made some mini harnesses for the can and power as they are not the same size.

The 12 pin block under the speakers is for the camera. It is a component camera connection. Pin 6 is positive and pin 12 is negative. See next question about cameras.

The block under the power and can is for a mic. Pin 1 is negative and pin 7 is positive.

2. Will my factory rear camera work?

No. On 2015 and older you will need a RGB to CBVS adapter. On 2016+ cars, although the cameras are component, they just plain do not work with the 330.

I recommend replacing it with a good aftermarket RCA camera. You can purchase one that fits and looks just like my factory camera in the trunk handle.

If you are replacing a 2015 or older camera you will probably also need to purchase or make a delay timer. Check aliexpress. The 330 requires power to the camera for 8 seconds after shifting out of reverse or you will get a error on the unit.

For 2016+ cars you can use the factory connections the old camera connected to. No timer or anything needed.

I actually disassembled my factory lock handle and replaced just the camera. A Metra BBBPC camera fits perfect.

**Edit** although this woeked, the angle was all wrong so I replaced the entire handle with an aftermarket handle camera (see below).

3. I have a car older than 2012iah, what do I need?

You will need to upgrade your CAN gateway or purchase a canbus simulator specific to the 330. If not, your battery will die... or the radio... or both.

4. Coding this thing?

The proper coding for the unit is
16 00 04 40 00 05

40 at block 4 enables the reverse camera.

If you have Fender change block 2 to 01. If you have Dynaudio change block 2 to 05. On either you will also have to change block 3 to 00.

I used a OBDeleven and had to go to Radio-56, switch to development mode in service to change block 2.

In all aspects of coding our NA VW's consider these to be RCD-510's and you can use the same code labels in VCDS.

5. What about steering wheel controls and Dash screen?

On 2012+ cars all controls work fine. As long as you have 6 or more buttons per side. Older cars will need a canbus simulator.

There is no Center screen display of anything on any car. Don't know why. Don't care because I never used it.

6. What else should I know?

If you have a factory media thing in the glove box or console, it will not work. Remove it and sell on eBay. Same with CarNet.

If you had Bluetooth prior to switching to the 330, go under the passenger seat and remove the Bluetooth module and sell it on eBay. It will interfere with the 330. You will also have to code the old Bluetooth out of the gateway.

If you have a external USB or aux in. Sorry, it won't work. My 2017 Passat has a single USB in front of the shifter. I retrofitted it to be a power only USB by removing the old USB plug, taking it apart. I found that the innerds of a TomTom GPS cigarette USB adapter fits perfectly inside the old plugs plastic housing. From there in tapped power from the cigarette lighter.

Summary. For most it is a pretty easy upgrade especially if you are coming from a base model. If you care about cameras And extra stuff it is going to be a challenge.

I have a 2017 Passat that I removed the base composition color. I spent about 30 hours on research and installation. My system works like a friggin charm. It can be done and it is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Freind,

I updated my stereo from 1 month and I have face twice battery drain issue. I have installed desay rcd330g plus 187b from stock RCD310.

Any suggestions from your side how to resolve this issue. Do I need to connect a canbus simulator + decoder connector?

Regards
Kuldeep

·
Registered
3 Posts
EasyConnected on Desay rcd330g Plus 187b

Hi All ,

I am using Desay rcd330g plus 187b (mirror-link and carplay ).
Any procedure to make easyconnected app ? or firmware update for Android auto?

Thank you in advance .

·
Registered
260 Posts
With a self-triggering camera, all you need are +12/gnd. So tie off the ground either to a bolt in the trunk, or the ground line for the tail-light. The +12v is tied to the red wire on the RCA in the trunk, and then t-tapped into the ACC+ wire on the quadlock harness up front, though any ACC wire will do.

This trick did not work for me. I tapped the ground to trunk, and the power to the little red trigger wire, and to the ACC12+ the pin #16 on quadlock. Did not show any signal from the camera!

Next I tried to power up the camera using the reverse, and connect the trigger to ACC pin#16, camera worked but showed error once shifted from R. The delay didn’t work.

It might be my aftermarket camera.

Time delay delay on order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
RDS. I have seen conflicting information with some saying that it does and doesn’t support RDS.

Specifically i’m interested in the Desay 187B version (supports carplay natively).

I am in Canada, so i expect the answer should the same as the US.

Does anyone know whether it does or not on the units you have installed?

Passat B6 '09 Wagon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can anyone confirm with 100% certainty that the NONAME units can be coded to work with Dynaudio, that it detects all 4 speakers once you to and also that it switches so that the sound is not over amplified? I bought a Desay unit first and it does not work properly so I am wanting to get as much confirmation as I can before rolling the dice on one again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think I'm just going to opt for the $150 double din available at Walmart that includes DVD player and DivX capability, but I wish I had the time and drive to go for one of the fancier factory options because I know how garbage these Walmart stereos can be after a few years and the color touch screens look awesome. 😕 Damn responsible parenting for not allowing me to spend every penny on my Jetta

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiring?

I just purchased the RCD-330 and am anxious to get it in my 2016 Jetta. I am looking through this thread and don't see any pictures or direct pinning diagrams. (Or am I missing something?). Also, none of the "links" on this page lead to any actual parts for this project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

41 - 60 of 97 Posts