VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been doing a lot of searching here, on tdiclub and on Reddit to figure out what RCD I need for my '14 MK6 JSW. My steering wheel has the Multi function controls and I have a vag com. I currently have a stock head units I believe it's the 510. I'm an Android person so I want Android auto. Can anyone point me to the unit I need and a preferred/reputable seller from Alibaba or eBay? I think I need a RCD330 1897b?? Noname.

Any help would h appreciated

Thx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi message eBay user vag_retrofits_recycled_ltd, they will answer your questions, I bought a 3Q0035842 composition media unit with component protection removed to get android auto and they went above and beyond. The unit came so professionally boxed and packaged. They have 100% positive feedback and accept returns. They weren't the very cheapest but I made the right choice not buying from some of the other recycler companies that send you filthy fingerprint covered tech, badly boxed that looks like it's been thrown in a box, no returns. Hope you find a good deal.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just purchased RCD330 187B unit from alixexpress for my mk6 sportwagen. 332.09US $ 19% OFF|NONAME RCD330 Plus Car Radio Android Auto Carplay 6RF 035 187F R340G RCD330G Player for VW Tiguan Golf 5 6 MK5 MK6 Passat Polo|Car Radios| - AliExpress Was under $365 shipped. The same seller has a RCD360 for $250 shipped but everything i read said avoid the 360 as its a custom refit and has shoddy quality. I figured buy once/cry once and get the right unit (RCD300) Hopefully everything goes smooth but should work with steering wheel controls, Android Auto and backup camera out of the box.

this was the best resource I found r/RCD_330

·
Registered
'11 GOV (AJ) TDI 6MT
330 Posts
@Drclaw : When you get this 6RF035187F, can you please post a picture of the rear panel ? I'm curious about its connectivity to, say, the rear view camera (low) cable and USB ports to the console. A VCDS scan report for the module would be helpful to the community, too. --g

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Drclaw : When you get this 6RF035187F, can you please post a picture of the rear panel ? I'm curious about its connectivity to, say, the rear view camera (low) cable and USB ports to the console. A VCDS scan report for the module would be helpful to the community, too. --g
Will do,. Might need some assistance on what scans/how to upload those but can do as well with some instruction.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@DrGERTol got the unit today. pics here: RDC330

waiting for a front USB connector I ordered from Aliexpress as well before I do the install.

Edit - i dont see a connection that brings the front USB to the rear for me to connect to so not sure ill be able to do that. :confused:

·
Registered
'11 GOV (AJ) TDI 6MT
330 Posts
Thanks for that -- at least you have composite video input for a reverse view camera. --g

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well that didnt work out as planned. I guess i need an adapter for my backup camera. the backup camera on my OEM unit is the long black connector shown on the back. I think the green one is GPS and im not sure what the blue one is. I installed without those plugged in and the unit works , except no backup camera. MFI controls seem to be working fine, my VAG COM change i made to use the mic button on the steering wheel to Mute doesnt seem to be working but i can prob change back.

·
Registered
'11 GOV (AJ) TDI 6MT
330 Posts
@Drclaw : The OE rearview camera in the lid handle uses component video signals (4 wires), while most of these after-market head units require a composite video signal input (single yellow RCA connector). You'll be looking for a proper video signal converter (component video in, composite video out) to make this work again.

Re the cables, green is sat radio (upper plug), blue is GPS (lower plug). --g

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Drclaw : The OE rearview camera in the lid handle uses component video signals (4 wires), while most of these after-market head units require a composite video signal input (single yellow RCA connector). You'll be looking for a proper video signal converter (component video in, composite video out) to make this work again.

Re the cables, green is sat radio (upper plug), blue is GPS (lower plug). --g
Thanks for the info. After I posted I kept researching and saw the same thing. Looks like I need a $50 converter and will have to tap into power from my fuse box and the reverse lights as well as run a ground wire. Does that sound about right? Any tips on tapping and running those power lines?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been using the radio for a few days. Android auto is nice but not "way" better than using my pixel 6 on a vent mounted mag holder for navigation. I Bluetooth Pandora etc for music and can change tracks /volume with the steering wheel. $425 for the RDC330 with converter box and more work to get the reverse camera setup doesn't seem worth the marginal improvement. Am I missing something?/not understanding the capabilities of Android auto?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts