VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.:Re-birth of the black beast ...The Saga ... UPDATED

Update in the 5th pg and before that there were other updates too that I didnt post here LOL
UPDATE ON THE 3rd PG!!!!!........... Raised the boost

UPDATE ON THE 2nd pg Twisted axle pic added
****Edit***** Pics added in second page!!!!
It has come the time for me to start a thread of my car and finally show it up. Beware, it’s a huge post because it is the narrative of how I got to the place I am now with my car.

History:
February 09….
Found a cheap 2004 BMP R32 with close to 90,000 miles 3 hours away from were I live…… catch = blown engine + small fire in the engine compartment + left stranded in the middle of I-5 + vandalized ….. Conveniently someone else was selling a long block at an unbeatable price the same day I found the car….. Just couldn’t resist.
Got in to the state of mind and decided that all the work was going to be done by me and on times with assistance of more experienced friends, Brian aka Novo1.8T (vw tech), Will aka c25porter (vw enthusiast), Aaron aka crazy dude that I don’t know his vortex screen name (audi tech)….thanks a lot … ohh almost forgot the Bentley manual which wont work properly on windows vista
).
This actually is the first time that I do something like this, my mechanical experience comes from thousands of hours reading the forum and working on my 00’ Jetta 1.8t and friends cars (mostly installing bolt-on’s and normal maintenance) which means I have never done an engine swap therefore, never in my life disassembled an engine.
As days passed…..
Started tearing it apart little by little 1 or 2 hours a week while waiting on the new engine to arrive and some of the parts that got burned in the small fire caused by the previous owners friend. He bottomed out and keep on driving like a mad man with a hole in the oil pan until the car threw a rod. I was taking my time to understand the function of each nut and bolt that I was taking from the car.
Got the new engine and inspected it, noticed that on one of the cylinder walls there was a bit of an imperfection, nothing too bad but bothered me just to know it was there so decided that a hone would take care of it. While browsing through the vortex found the CTS/kinetics turbo kit and contacted Clay about it just out of curiosity…. Ended up placing a huge order from Clay and other places including vortex classifieds:
-Kinetics stg 3 turbo kit with the GT3582R option without the head spacer, see below and you will see why. Also, decided to have the downpipe ceramic coated the exhaust mani and turbo hot side come coated from kinetics.
-C2 software
-C2 MAF
-Raceware head studs
-JE 8.5:1 compression 84.5mm bore pistons with Tri coat (top, side skirts and bottom).
-IE Rods
-034 coated rod and main bearings
-ARP main studs
-newsouth boost gage and dual column pod
-A&M wideband
-G&G rear control arms (all 4)
-EIP 3” cat back exhaust
-All new gaskets and seals for the engine
-aluminum water pipe
-new timing chain kit with tensioner and guides
-DM motorsports 3 disk clutch kit

More parts were also purchased but cant remember right now, and also a lot of stock parts were replaced.
Then I spend quite a bit of time looking for machine shops that wanted to work on this engines and found one that does a lot of VR’s, felt confident and took my engine there but had to wait close to 4 months because they were waiting for the torque plates to bore it and the day they finally arrive they were the wrong ones. Immediately took my block to another very reputable machine shop that works on a huge variety of exotic cars and weird angled engines and got my block back in a week bored and with the bottom end assembled.
Assembled the engine using the collection of parts that have been sitting on my room for months. Then I had to wait again. The DM clutch is a really nice piece but they only make batches of 10 or 15 at a time. It took some time for it to arrive but made it.
Once the Clutch arrived it only took a few days to figure out the wiring and lines that had to be done for it, couldn’t have made it so quickly with out Brian, Will and Aarons help.
The day it was going to be started I unplugged 3 of the coil packs to prime the oil system, to my surprise after a few seconds cranking it the engine started on 3 cylinders …. Lol … plugged the other 3 coil packs and it started without a hiccup.
Broke in the engine using the Mototune technique and it worked beautifully, the turbo spools very nice and A/F is very consistent, big props to C2.
Well this is for now and without further ado here is a pick of how it sits as this moment

More build pics will be added later.
Thanks again for all the help and advice from all the people (tunners, friends, vortex users (will add names later), and family that even though they thought that it would not start at the first try but never told me…. Lol.. )
Comments and constructive criticism are welcome and I hope I don’t get too bashed due to my English ….its my second language.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: English is a bit complex some times

Modified by huichox4 at 2:11 PM 3-5-2010

Modified by huichox4 at 4:09 PM 3-6-2010

Modified by huichox4 at 11:09 AM 4-9-2010

Modified by huichox4 at 12:00 PM 4-9-2010

Modified by huichox4 at 12:34 PM 4-9-2010

·
Registered
2018 Audi TTRS
12,977 Posts
Re: .:Re-birth of the black beast ...The Saga (huichox4)

Very Nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Re: .:Re-birth of the black beast ...The Saga (newcreation)

Awesome http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Your car's like a stray dog that was used for cage fighting and was abused all of his life then one day some loving person came and nurtured that dog back to life

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: .:Re-birth of the black beast ...The Saga (R32R1)

Quote, originally posted by R32R1 »
Awesome http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Your car's like a stray dog that was used for cage fighting and was abused all of his life then one day some loving person came and nurtured that dog back to life

coudnt have said it best..... Thanks

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Re: .:Re-birth of the black beast ...The Saga (huichox4)

Quote, originally posted by huichox4 »

coudnt have said it best..... Thanks

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: .:Re-birth of the black beast ...The Saga (abe1.8t)

Quote, originally posted by abe1.8t »
the R whisperer?
well done sir!

Not quite there yet but its a start.... I forgot to mention this is the one and only R I have ever own and driven, my first drive was after I finished the turbo and engine work in it.
not sure how to compare with a stock R because I got it with H&R coils in it too...

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

Very nicely done, and that's one hell of a parts list too. I am jealous. BMP is hot.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Re: FV-QR (GTItraveler)

Quote, originally posted by GTItraveler »
Looks great....What an adventure....Hard to see what you have on there...... It's SO BLACK!

errr.....that's what she said

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: FV-QR (Khunez)

Quote, originally posted by Khunez »
I wonder if this install can work without cutting the bumper to fit the pipes in there?

it will be impossible to do that with this kit unless you modify the piping and end tanks of the intercooler.
Quote, originally posted by GTItraveler »
Looks great. What an adventure. Hard to see what wheels you have on there. It's SO BLACK!

yeah its getting darker and darker every day lol .... I got different wheels in there but they got damaged so found this ones dirt cheap and swapped them ..... I think thay came out looking great.
they are Mercedes AMG 6 hole wheels powdercoated gloss black obviously

Quote, originally posted by vwfansince95 »
great story .. and happy to see that everything worked out for you.
enjoy the new R and the TURBO upgrade

Quote, originally posted by xVolksR32x »
bump up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif nice project. Car looks good. Waiting to see the rest of the pics.

Thanks for the comments pics comming soon

1 - 20 of 410 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.