VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MR2 was last in the public eye 10 years ago here:

Then came marriage, kids, house, and other priorities and the car was sidelined with a blown head gasket after a track day at Sonoma Raceway.

About three years ago, I embarked on bringing it back to its former glory and adding in a whole new round of upgrades. In the end, virtually everything was looked at and tweaked/improved upon in some way. The result is today's article in SuperStreet.

-- DavidV :D

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Sweet build. More than the money or the results, I’m impressed by 26 years of ownership and all the good times you’ve must have enjoyed along the way. Congratulations on being magazine featured twice.

·
Registered
34,735 Posts
A lot of attention to detail in that build.

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,426 Posts
Wow, what a build. I fear this will go criminally cheap and for that I am sad. Any reason behind RfS vs C&B?

Good luck! I hope there is a last minute bidding war!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Awesome build and stories. I think many people that start projects wish they could reach such levels of completeness. Questions OP:

• Are you happy with the final result and did you ever consider it 'complete'?
  • What are you going to replace it with?

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
🍺

I really like how the article shuts down the naysayers right off. "But wut about snap oversteer?" (They said everything but "hurr-durr".) With 26 years, different kinds of track time, and many $ under your belt I'm unsurprised you have the suspension dialed-in. I'd love to toss that around. Well, I probably wouldn't even probe the limits of tire adhesion, but still have the giant grin a car like that would bring.

Here's to a great build and coming to terms with moving on. 🍺

Do you have another build in the works?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome build and stories. I think many people that start projects wish they could reach such levels of completeness. Questions OP:

• Are you happy with the final result and did you ever consider it 'complete'?
  • What are you going to replace it with?
Thank you - I am very happy with the results and will not be heartbroken in the least if it doesn't sell, but likely will be if it does. I have no plans to replace it as to me, this build is very much irreplaceable. I've had 26 years to plan it out and fine tune it, so there's not much if anything that I would change.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, what a build. I fear this will go criminally cheap and for that I am sad. Any reason behind RfS vs C&B?

Good luck! I hope there is a last minute bidding war!
Thanks! Unique builds like this are much more in Radwood's wheelhouse than C&B. They've done a fantastic job promoting it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1985 Toyota MR2.jpg

Wow! Very nice. Fresh outta college and into my first job, I purchased the first model year 1985 MR2 (exactly like the one pictured) - having traded in my calory-burinig 1984 red Jeep CJ-7. Quite a little car for its time. Racing driver Dan Gurney was all over it and it was the first time Motor Trend magazine dedicated an entire issue to a single vehicle. Other mags had special articles on the MR2 and I collected them all.

I remember about 7 days into owning the MR2 driving late one night on the I-4 fwy in Orlando cruising about 65 mph and a 69' Pontiac GTO pulled up next to me in the fast lane, slowed down, then punched it. This was my first 5-speed and was only used to 3 and 4 speed manual transmissions, so I took it outta 5th gear to pop it into 3rd gear and struggled, so I dropped it into 4th gear and released the clutch. It wasn't exactly like putting the brakes on but accidentally dropping it into 2nd gear was really close.

The valves were never quite as quiet after that and about a year later, I took it into Toyata for a check up and they hooked it up to their computer and told me I over-revved the engine at least once and exceeded 75 mph at least once, yadda yadda.

Anyway, great job. The MR2 was rather special and a bit ahead of its time so I can certainly appreciate your passion for it.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,930 Posts
I always liked OP's car because of it's out-of-the-box approach to packaging and execution. (y)

·
Registered
18,812 Posts
Racing driver Dan Gurney was all over it and it was the first time Motor Trend magazine dedicated an entire issue to a single vehicle.

I took it into Toyata for a check up and they hooked it up to their computer and told me I over-revved the engine at least once and exceeded 75 mph at least once, yadda yadda.
Dan Gurney was a spokesperson for Toyota in the 80s. I remember him in ads about the 1982 Supra.

I didn't think they had that level of OBD-type data logging in the mid-1980s. OBD wasn't mandated until 1988, and it focused on smog systems.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Wow! Very nice. Fresh outta college and into my first job, I purchased the first model year 1985 MR2 (exactly like the one pictured) - having traded in my calory-burinig 1984 red Jeep CJ-7. Quite a little car for its time. Racing driver Dan Gurney was all over it and it was the first time Motor Trend magazine dedicated an entire issue to a single vehicle. Other mags had special articles on the MR2 and I collected them all.
I still have mine. I heart those so much!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts