VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i origally asked a bunch of questions and planned to build a budget turbo setup for my 1.8 8v. On the recomendations of several people on the tex I decided a 16v would be better, and found a 95 ABA complete ($200). I still had a lust for something different so i decided, skip the turbo and go ITB's. I talked to a guy about some different setups but got some of my prices mixed up and consequently the ITB's are not going to be in my budget. So now I've sold the top end off the ABA and i've got a 16v head on the way, and it looks like a turbo is going to be the best option again for price and power. I'd like to source as much as possible used to keep the cost down. Looks like the IC from a starion can be found pretty reasonably so that solves that much, but i need input on what other bits and pices i'll need as well. My 1.8 8v is CIS-E (87 GTI) and i'd like to keep that injction setup since i'm not familiar with any of the others and to keep cost down. right now my budget will be about $1500, i'm sure it can be done. someone shoot me in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re-thinking budget FI Project help (TBT-PassatG60)

yeah that's what i found out earlier so its back to the turbo idea. luckily the ABA with the 16v head will have 8.5:1 compression so i'm half way there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Re: re-thinking budget FI Project help (Clav)

Well I`m looking to supercharge my 16v, the main sumbling bolck is the management, I`m going for g60 Digi1 due to cost and s/h availability. You`ll need all the sensors, loom,ecu and some way of plumming the elcerical fuel injectors into the manifiold (maybe mk2 8v git fuel rail and injector cups?). Then you need the proper exhaust manifold and turbo/piping/intercooler etc, it`s not that simple really!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: re-thinking budget FI Project help (veedub11)

Quote, originally posted by veedub11 »
i bottom line is that there is no set budget for a turbo project.

Not only that... but "budget" and "forced induction" are pretty much mutually exclusive terms. Unless of course by "budget" you mean "I've got a $10K budget for this project".

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Re: re-thinking budget FI Project help (Angular)

You might be able to get your car turbocharged for the budget you are working with but this will involve a lot of fabbing on your part. The turbo you could get from killa for around $550.00 and manifold from KOOTER or Zornig for around$300. I personally like the digi1 setup for budget FI management, the guys at SNS have been doing some great things with them. Digi1 ecu, harness,co-pot and injectors should run you about 300-350 bucks. Conquest intercooler $100.00
With all this you should have $1300.00, then its time for the fabbing the downpipe and boost tubes.
$1500.00 is a good start but as usual "deficate" happens. So be prepared to spend a little more money.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: re-thinking budget FI Project help (TURBOPHIL)

yeah thats kinda what i figured. I meant to say that was the budget roughly for parts i'll be doing all the labor and have some friends to help fab up stuff. Thanks for all the input

1 - 9 of 9 Posts