VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
18,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad does real estate, and he has come across some interesting properties. One of his recent ones was someone who ran their own business, and not sure how the story went, needs to sell the property with a bunch of old cars.

He, being a car guy, loved it, and was able to help the owner with an appraiser and auction company (way too many for him to take on himself), so take a look at what came on the market, if anyone is looking for a project

https://aarauctions.com/servlet/Search.do?auctionId=4093

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
It’s fun to dream. But all I see is money pits with little financial upside and a ton of hard work to get them to a point where you could actually enjoy them as operable vehicles. Glad to see most were stored indoors. Could be great platforms for someone with a professional workshop who pays wholesale and sells retail, like Gas Monkey Garage, if bought cheaply and given a cheap quickie restoration like Wheeler Dealers.

·
Registered
24,966 Posts
That SHO is probably salvageable but most of the car there are junk yard parts car.

Also, come on... why would anyone hold on to a 1980 Ford Granada with 4.1? This guy was a hoarder not a collector.

·
Registered
18,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That SHO is probably salvageable but most of the car there are junk yard parts car.
Too bad that the keyboard that comes with the SHO is a Casio instead of a Yamaha. ;)

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,839 Posts
My mom has been in real estate for 25 years. She comes across cool things and great deals all the time. Free snowtires and wheels, cheap cars, boats, you name it.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts

Also, come on... why would anyone hold on to a 1980 Ford Granada with 4.1? This guy was a hoarder not a collector.
This, 100%. The storage costs alone... people are crazy. If that whole lot clears 10K I'll be impressed.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Definitely hoarder status, but some of those cars are old enough that the straight body panels alone are worth money to collectors and builders.

I could see maybe 1/3 of the cars actually getting rebuilt, 1/3 parted out, and the remaining 1/3 scrapped.

And then all the engines, and countless spare body panels, and tools, and parts, and......

There's some money to be made there as long as they can get enough turnout at the auction. I'd love to go just to look at everything.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,137 Posts
Not only are these junky cars, they also come with the following conditions..

Lot must be removed at 8:30AM on Monday, August 24. There is no other date or time available for pick up of this item.No tractor trailers or over sized trailers. Flatbeds, wreckers and single car trailers are the only vehicles that will fit through the driveway. All buyers must arrive will the proper help and manpower, tools and equipment needed to remove items quickly and safely. There is no additional help that will be provided.

·
Registered
15,268 Posts
Definitely hoarder status, but some of those cars are old enough that the straight body panels alone are worth money to collectors and builders.

I could see maybe 1/3 of the cars actually getting rebuilt, 1/3 parted out, and the remaining 1/3 scrapped.

And then all the engines, and countless spare body panels, and tools, and parts, and......

There's some money to be made there as long as they can get enough turnout at the auction. I'd love to go just to look at everything.

Yup. Good for parts... but who needs parts for a Kaiser Manhattan?? :laugh:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Not only are these junky cars, they also come with the following conditions..

Yeah, with all of those stipulations, you’d have to pay ME to take that problem off your hands.
Wow, yeah that's not gonna work out. Lol

They need to make this available to bulk buyers who will pick up 10 cars at a time. I bet they'll end up having to pay someone to remove half the cars in this case, and they'll go straight to the scrapper.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,669 Posts
Neat find, but those stipulations. Oofda.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I drive through Ringoes NJ regularly...I was hoping to see a big lot of mixed hubcaps, but no such luck. Just a few bits that are probably not worth the trouble. The center caps on those Lincoln wire wheels are worth more than the wheels. But I don't want to get stuck with the wheels and junk tires. Someone can probably make some real money on those big lots of body trim, but that's not really my line of business and it would be a lot of work to verify what it all fits. I can mostly do that from memory with wheel trim, but not body trim.

As far as the cars, there's a lot of that '40s "lead sled" stuff in here, and I'm not sure how the market is for those these days. I bet the Jeeps are among the most valuable whole vehicles here. All of that Wagoneer/Cherokee/J10 stuff seems to be going up in value lately. I'll be interested to see the auction results. I feel like TCL usually undervalues cars and parts, but it's also all about getting the right eyeballs on the merchandise. I sell a lot of parts for 10x what I paid, because I know how to clean them up and list them correctly. If nobody really knows about this auction, it's probably true that a lot of the stuff will end up going to scrappers.

-Andrew L

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
sooo this was an indoor junkyard? the number of gas tanks, doors, fenders, and hoods leaning on the walls and on shelves! hardly a single vehicle looks well enough off to be worth saving. several of those hoods might be sellable as antiques for someones man cave garage art. and maybe there are some panels that are salvageable, but there's almost no market from any of them anyways. and with those stipulations, they'll end up paying someone to haul the majority of that "collection" to the scrap yard. :(

what's happening to the warehouse structure?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not long ago I actually saw one of these old Cherokees lowered, with an LS, running an autocross. Not the fastest car there but certainly unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue?

I thought it had a gen 3 hemi swap with a turbo. The build is on lateral g forum i believe.

·
Registered
38,452 Posts
Real Estate Find - 60+ Unfinished Projects going to auction
FIFY.

And the conditions on pickup? LOL, good luck.

Even if free, I doubt a metal scrapper would bother trying to adhere to that. Even if they all sold, I can't imagine the traffic jam of 60 tow trucks at 8:30 that morning. I suppose you could put a flat bed or a carrier just outside of the property and just drag the cars you bought out there and load them out on the street, but damn..

I would be curious how many are left because nobody cares.

·
Registered
18,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, I didn't even notice the pickup conditions. That's crazy. That's all on the auctioning company.

I know a lot say its all junk, I saw a handful of good projects. However, I just got my project car a couple of weeks ago, so I'm out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts