VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter accidently (have no idea how) kicked the center console rear ashtray completley out of its socket - left hanging by two wires. I had a bear of a time figuring out how to get it to fit back into the space it vacated. I finally did - but that very very cool "slow open" feature is gone - it opens like a rocket now. Any advice on how to put it back CORRECTLY?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: rear ashtray accident (irish1)

I assume that there is a small spring or clip you have to engage that is connected to a damper to provide the "smooth" mode. When the ashtray came out it may have sprung back to where it is difficult to see unless you are looking for it. If you are courageous enough to take it apart again and look for it you could give it a shot but do you really use the rear ashtray?
When I worked on my old VW rabbit and my repair manuals didn't have enough info I would stop by the parts department and look thru their microfiche drawings of all the components and understand where things were and what they are - that may work or you could ask one of the service guys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: rear ashtray accident (matt007)

Same exact thing happened to me, except the little girl is 29. I had no trouble reinstalling it, but, the damped, slo-mo feature is gone.
I tried reinstalling it, making sure to capture the little plastic switch on the left side at least 10 times.
Still opens quickly without damping.
I never use the rear ashtray, bit it's irritating to me nonetheless.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: rear ashtray accident (catbert430)

Well.. I got the same couple months ago.. It was not a kid but a 65 old man who is my friend's father. I took it to dealer to have them put it back (free) and unfortunately, the light is now gone. Hope the stupid technican from the dealer did not break the light. The slow-mo feature is still there. Well, I think VW should consider a redesign because they (ashtray and 12V lighter) are just so easy to open and even break. I like the Jetta or the old Passat one. Forget about putting kids in the back seat.

[Modified by andynyc, 12:03 AM 2-17-2002]

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Re: rear ashtray accident (andynyc)

same thing here. my goddaughter kicked the ashtray out. at my 15K service i just told the dealer "it doesn't ooze out anymore" they fixed it under warranty no questions asked. it's not a spring but rather a curved channel that a little arm "drags" in to create the slo-mo opening effect. you can see it on the left side if you peek in with the ashtray removed. i tried to get the little arm back in but couldn't. maybe you'll have better luck.

[Modified by VeeDubDude, 10:06 AM 2-17-2002]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.