VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: (gti rt)

You MUST replace the caliper bolts. They are TTY bolts & the torque spec is 35 Nm (26 ft-lb). USE A TORQUE WRENCH.
The factory wheel torque is 120 Nm (90 ft-lb).

·
Registered
CT4V-BW
1,330 Posts
Re: Rear Brake Pads Change DIY (AsianDude)

Another option for the brake reset tool:
http://www.metalnerd.com/cat08.htm

Works on the front and the rear and comes with the thin 15mm wrench.
FYI...

Modified by f.rizzo at 10:01 PM 5-6-2009

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: (AsianDude)

Quote, originally posted by AsianDude »

Yes I did loosen/remove the brake fluid resevoir cap to release pressure (if any) but more importantly so to make sure that the fluid would not overflow when the pistons were retracted from each caliper.

Thanks for an awesome DIY. Do you have to bleed the brake lines after doing the installation? Also, is there a risk of overflow even if the reservoir is open?

Modified by deepclue at 12:41 PM 8-8-2009

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re: (deepclue)

You should always bleed out some fluid after the install just to make sure that no air got trapped towards the end of the brake line when you retracted the pistons.
If no fluid was topped up during the life of the car, then you should not have an overflow situation when the caliper pistons are retracted.
Good Luck!!!

Modified by AsianDude at 10:05 AM 8-8-2009

·
Registered
158 Posts
i literally JUST did this at my friends house, rented the kit from Autozone for $60 and returned it and got my money back.
BTW......DAMN your brakes are CLEAN lol i cleaned mine a little since it was the perfect oppurtunity
but nowhere near that clean

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't have to have a slim 15mm wrench. I used a set of needle nose pliers to hold the nut until i could get a regular 15mm wrench in there.

BTW ... super clean rotors man.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Another option for the brake reset tool:
http://www.metalnerd.com/cat08.htm

Works on the front and the rear and comes with the thin 15mm wrench.
This tool works great!

It's something of a comfort to me as I wrestle through my first brake job ever that this tool is stout, perfectly engineered for this task, and easy to use.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.