VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started feeling and hearing a grinding noise ... went right to the dealer.
Ended up getting new rotors and pads on the rear. I do a lot of driving, but I really thought brakes would last longer than 26k miles.

·
Registered
19,712 Posts
Re: Rear Brakes at 26,000 miles :( (chickenwing2)

Quote, originally posted by chickenwing2 »
Ended up getting new rotors and pads on the rear. I do a lot of driving, but I really thought brakes would last longer than 26k miles.

Stockers are typically soft so it's not unusual and 30k miles is about right for new pads, usually in the front though.
How VW defies the laws of physics and does most of their braking in the rear is beyond me.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chickenwing2 »

What did the dealer charge for the brake job?

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
that's weird--- that was an issue with the early MKIV's. Then around 2002, they, for the most part switched supppliers from ATE to TRW and along with it, a more durable pad
I would of have the dealership checked the parking brake, to make sure when it's release, there is no rubbing.

·
Registered
34 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having mine replaced at 21,000. I need to learn how to change them myself, as I'm not planning to drop another $400 every 20k.
Did your dealer at least have the parts in stock?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Rear Brakes at 26,000 miles :( (anchor_drops)

yeah ...that's about what i paid. $380. they had everything in stock. more than $200 just for the labor. We need to find some aftermarket pads for the rear that last longer ... this can't keep happening.

Modified by chickenwing2 at 11:15 AM 2-26-2006

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Since the brakes arethe same as on a 337, here is my take.
I just did mine at 38K, only rears.
The fronts seem like they can go for another 38K.
Th erears could have gone for another 5K without any problems.
I did all my work, cost me $40 for the pads. They are TRW pads if i remember correctly and the number is 1J1 415 R.
The ones that were on the car were 4DO 415 A, and the dealer could not find anything with that number.
Dealer wanted 220 plus parts, which would have come out to $300 with tax, so I decided to do it.
I have a DIY in the 337 forum, so you can look at it.
Took me about 2-3 hours, since I was taking it slow. First caliper took me about 1 hour, second 20 min.
Honestly, this is a 1 hour job, even if you take it slowly.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have my mkv Jetta with the mechanic right now. I was hearing a grinding noise as was mentioned. He said I need rear brakes, one side is far gone. Price for aftermarket brakes will be 78.00 for the pads alone. It's sitting on a lift waiting for the pads.
And the kicker is: 15,000 miles
This is a crime.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Rear Brakes at 26,000 miles :( (wizgi)

Have them check the e-brake cable while it's there. I think mine is way too tight which could cause premature rear brake wear.
It takes a lot more effort for my mkv gli to get going after applying the brakes than it did for my mkiv gti - plus I hear a groaning noise for the first few feet which sounds to me like the pads are too tight.
jeff
Quote, originally posted by wizgi »
I have my mkv Jetta with the mechanic right now. I was hearing a grinding noise as was mentioned. He said I need rear brakes, one side is far gone. Price for aftermarket brakes will be 78.00 for the pads alone. It's sitting on a lift waiting for the pads.
This is a crime.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Re: Rear Brakes at 26,000 miles :( (wizgi)

Quote, originally posted by wizgi »
This is a crime.

OEM pads are 51.52

·
Registered
18 Posts

I just had to take my 2005.5 2.5 in for the second time with rear brakes grinding noise. I already paid once for the dealer to replace the brakes at 18K, now at 26,000 they finally admitted that this has been a problem on all MKV's. In fact the problem is so commun that they are now having trouble getting rear brakes parts. rear driver side calliper is sticking and will be replaced under warranty with a complete brake job once the parts come from Germany in about a week. (Germany???? that is what the service guy says)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Rear Brakes at 26,000 miles :( (GT-Dub)

That's good to know. I'll use the info when I contact Customer Care, which is what I was instructed by my dealer to do.
My mechanic swapped out the pads on mine. Total cost was $158.00. I want to see if I can get reembursed from VW. My car is going into the shop next week for an unrelated issue, Flap Motor replacement. Second time.
Technical Service Bulletins Summary
Make: VOLKSWAGEN
Model: NEW JETTA
Year: 2005
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Service Bulletin Number: 0503
NHTSA Item Number: 10016614
Summary Description:
INTAKE FLAP MOTOR - V157 - REPLACEMENT AND SOFTWARE UPDATE (B1). VOLKSWAGEN NEW JETTA 2006. *TT

·
Registered
583 Posts
Re: (path2live)

I'll bet your calipers slides were sticking. It's usually from corrision or lack of lube on the pads to begin with. The pads should be floating while the car is rolling. If not, then they will wear down and eventually ruin the rotors. It happens on the back of the rotor most often and that's why it's not easily seen.
I had this happen to my 1997 Honda Prelude. My Prelude actually called for brake clean and lube every other oil change.
I'm glad to hear about this now as I will keep and eye on mine. I only have 1600 miles on car so far.
Brakes pads are super easy to change. I've changed rotors and done brake line bleeding as well. The bleeding is far more of a PITA than anything else. The hardest part of a brake job is getting off the old pads and rotors. The rotors are usually rusted on the hubs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: Rear Brakes at 26,000 miles :( (The Cheat)

Quote, originally posted by The Cheat »
Have them check the e-brake cable while it's there. I think mine is way too tight which could cause premature rear brake wear.
It takes a lot more effort for my mkv gli to get going after applying the brakes than it did for my mkiv gti - plus I hear a groaning noise for the first few feet which sounds to me like the pads are too tight.
jeff

Everyone please pay attention to this post. The cables are too tight. It has been discussed many times and I have had it fixed at work by one of my techs. They cannot be adjusted at the caliper they must be done under the center console. Most people complain of no play in the brake handle and that means it is putting unnecessary pressure on the caliper and pads resulting in premature wear. After I had it done there was significantly less brake dust than before. Yes it has been a small problem with a few of the cars so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.