VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Passat was rear ended last night with minor damage. Bad weather, traffic and inpatient drivers, what are you going to do? There's no dents, just scraps and some small gouges on the rear bumper, the part that's painted the color of the car, not the dull black underneath. The car is a black 2002 Variant btw. It's bad enough where I don't think it can be buffed out because of the gouges. If the car was a few years old I probably wouldn't bother with it, but it's just too damn new not to get it fixed. Does it have to be replaced or can it be fixed? I'm not sure because it's on the plastic. I plan on stopping by the dealer this weekend to have it looked at, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what was done. Thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Re: Rear bumper repair question (DaisyCutter)

My wagon is going to the bodyshop on 12/10 to get a scrape on l.rear fender and nice deep scrapes on the painted bumper fixed. It's a top notch shop. They're going to remove the bumper cover, repair, repaint and replace the plastic step strip.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Your bumper can be repaired by a good shop that has the ability to repair plastic correctly, or they may send your bumper "out" to be repaired by a company that just does bumper repair. This takes a day or two but the repair will be high quality. Check with the shop to see what they do. Volkswagen bumper covers do have alot of internal structure to the plastic which can prevent the cover from being repaired, in this case it will have to be replaced, a good shop will inspect the inside of the cover before trying to repair it, in order to determine the amount of damage to the internal structure.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts

From what I've heard from a few people, they've gotten theirs repainted or they've replaced it with an aftermarket bumper. However, if you were rear ended . . . make the other person pay for it with their insurance and don't accept anything less than perfection.
Dave

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Rear bumper repair question (crew217)

They remove the bumper, fill the gouges, refinish, paint and clear coat. I had a few minor gouges and scratches on my rear bumper. It will cost you anywhere from $300 - $600 depending on the shop
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts