VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, in the junkyard, they found a 87 GLI Sport (power Recaros, power windows, 16V, yummy at one time) that had the entire rear beam, but missing the drivers side caliper.
Then they found an 87 GTI 16V with the rear beam, but somebody cut the passenger side of the rear beam.
Between the drivers caliper on the GTI, and the rest of the beam and passenger caliper on the GLI, I should be good to go.
I checked with the dealer (
) and they show the caliper number as being 191 615 423 A. They also show the same part number but ending with an AV or an AX. Should I have any concern over the part numbers, and whether or not I'll get one AV caliper and one AX caliper?
Also, the junkyard guy told me the parking brakes go bad on rear disc because of the cable going bad. Any truth to this? I always thought there was a problem with the actual caliper, and not the cable...does anybody have more info on the problems that plauge the rear calipers? Even better still, can anyone tell me what to look for in these used calipers they're giving me to find out before I leave thier place if the calipers is any good or not. For instance, a quick check to see if the parking brake will be functioning correctly

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions...I should be picking the beam up later today or tomorrow 'at the latest'.
They told me they won't bother saving the e-brake cables either, so I'll have to get new ones at $30.
Broke

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (Broke)

Broke,
Yeah any parking brake cable can go bad, but our A2 rear caliphers are notorious for having seized rear parking brake mechanisms. I just replaced my cables and I still don't have parking brakes. Hmmmm, I gotta fix that to go through inspection this month.
Adriondack will be getting a call soon.
How come every time I visit a junk yard all I ever see is are crappy beat to s%%t GL's with tan interiors.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (satchmo)

Crap, I was kind of afraid of that.
I tried explaining to the guy that they are known for freezing up. He told me it was just the cables, but I said I thought it was more involved than that.
His reply was, 'well, where are you getting all your good info...you've heard all these things, but I've never heard them, and I've been in the business for twenty years!'....OK, and in those 20 years, you've done how many rear disc swaps into the A2 chassis? You do know what the A2 chassis is, don't you? I thought not

So, something inside the caliper itself is going bad with the parking brake problem...****e. I thought so.
Anybody know of a quick-test method for checking them out of the car and standing in front of Junkyard Joe?
I've got the cable problem worked out it seems...cheeply
I'll just re-use my drum cables, and make the ends at the caliper work...somehow

Broke

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

If I were you I would get GTI cables for disks. Cables for drum brakes are not long enough. Trust me ive tried it when I did my rear disk swap. I had to get new GLI cables.
Good luck on your swap
Jon

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (hoodita)

Yeah, I've got a new set of GTI cables lined up through Adirondack, I'm just hoping these others will work...its a free try, so why not?

Is there anything else you can think of that could/would cause me troubles in this swap? Anything you had to run out to buy in the middle of the job I should look out for?
Thanks for the replies!
Broke

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

The rear caliper siezure is very common, the lever going into the back of the caliper locks up, it stops returning and eventually stops working altogether, vw have tried a few different types of caliper with the lever in different places to try to stop this happening. Test it by moving the lever by hand, it should also return fully to the stop pin.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (Vdubs)

The lever you speak of is the one with the heavy spring on it right? I'll be able to operate this lever with my hands? I mean, I figured it'd be too tough to try to operate with it out of the car and not hooked up....but I'll try it.
Hopefully, the units they give me will be in OK shape.
Broke

·
Registered
754 Posts

You should be able to move it with it removed from the car. Probably 5-10 lbs of pressure. If it doesn't go full travel and return ON IT'S OWN, it's junk. Unfortunately there is no fixing these things. There is a spring from a Ford car in Europe that can be swapped with the stock one but I can't remember which one it is. I think it's like twice as stiff. Anyone.......

[Modified by Quattrophile, 11:53 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (Quattrophile)

quote:[HR][/HR]You should be able to move it with it removed from the car. Probably 5-10 lbs of pressure. If it doesn't go full travel and return ON IT'S OWN, it's junk....[HR][/HR]​
Great! Thanks for the info everyone...I'll be sure to act the fool in the junkyard when the lever won't move or return...since he made me feel like a fool for asking about them

I'll be sure they work before I leave!
Broke

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well, I got the beam and stuff, got it all home, and both calipers were siezed up at the parking brake lever. I blasted them with PB Blaster, and worked the lever with chan-l-locks, and I managed to get one to feel pretty smooth, and if you squeeze it (operate the e-brake), and then let go and let it SNAP back, it 'll fully return on its own, but if you let it slowly out, it will almost fully return, but not quite. Probably 90% of the way.
The other caliper is shot, I beat it with a hammer in an attempt to release the e-brake lever, and it finally moved, but even chan-l-locks won't make the lever move again.
Is the caliper OK if the e-brake lever returns 90% of the way? It is probably 90% good, hunh

Broke

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Once they sieze they're dead, it will sieze again and it messes up the self adjusting mechanism and if the pads rub they overheat.

[Modified by Vdubs, 6:36 PM 12-7-2001]

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (Vdubs)

quote:[HR][/HR]Once they sieze they're dead, it will sieze again and it messes up the self adjusting mechanism and if the pads rub they overheat.

[Modified by Vdubs, 6:36 PM 12-7-2001][HR][/HR]​
So, even the one I got to move OK is no good? So then, the chances of my finding a working caliper in a junkyard is almost none?

Broke

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

What year is the beam from? A good source of rear calipers are on Audi 4000/5000 check them with your current set-up. You might get lucky and score a good set. If not I can get a set from Cali if you like. I will be reasonible.

Carlos

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (iman16vw)

I replaced my rear callipers few days ago,
Here's how to check the calliper
When you push the lever down the piston should go out for a few milimiters, you will feel the small resistance at the lever when the piston starts coming out (that means that the handbrake and the calliper piston is working), after you do this check if the lever is fully returning back, spring should return the lever back very easy, also check for any corossion at the brake calliper oil intake (where the brake tube goes)
If theese rules don't work then the calliper is faulty.
I'm saying this because I almost bought a new never used calliper which was not working, this happened probably because the calliper was sitting at the shop for a long time, and it got blocked.
There should be a number 36 on the calliper, that's the diameter of the calliper piston and these came with earlyer MK2 cars with rear discs, if you can't find theese you can get MK3 callipers which have number 38 on them and you can mount them on your car (this is what I did on mine) just pay attention on removing the air from the brake system because it's harder to do it with theese MK3's
I hope I helped you with this info, e-mail me if you have any questions

[Modified by GTI_B&H, 12:40 PM 12-7-2001]

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Rear caliper part number questions (GTI_B&H)

Well, what I managed to get was from a pre-88 car, as they are the early style caliper.
I had to keep the one I got freed up, and they found another that would return all the way, but it needed worked to do so, so I guess these are both ****e.
As long as the damn things operate by the foot pedal, I'll be happy until I can afford a new pair at $300
I'll just not use the e-brake until then.
I haven't checked to see if this new calipers piston will screw in or not.
The slider pins need cleaned and lubed, and I don't know if the pistons leak or not...is there any way to check to see if the things will work before I get them hooked to the brake lines?
I'm trying to get the rear beam built, and ready to bolt on, so the car will be down for less time.
Thanks a ton for the help and replies....the guys at the junkyard made fun of me when I told them I learned of this stuff from the internet, and hanging out with 10K people with the same car I have (yeah, I know, I kinda lied on the number)...they poo-pooed the internet in general, and challenged me to find a Baker Electric car on the web, and I told them no problem. I've never heard of it, but I'm confident some web space somewhere is dedicated to this car from 1935-1940(?), and I'll find it and show them good

Broke

·
Registered
6,004 Posts

Brian - I hope I'm not too late to chime in... I used to work @ a dealer, and "AX" denotes a remanufactured part. Anytime there is an "X" on a dealer part #, IT IS REMAN'D. I personally avoid reman rear calipers like the plague. Just my $.02

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Hey, what you have to remember about car dismantlers is they have a low intelligence level, they're far to dumb to fix cars, all they can do is take them apart, even then they break half the stuff. And they wouldn't use the internet cus they can't read and don't understand anything anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.