VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Re: rear deck lid (SLACKER 1.8T)

Take a flathead screwdriver and gently pop off the 3 plastic covers on the decklid. You'll then see a bolt under each cover. I cant remember the size bit you need, but loosen the bolts, remove bolts and the metal guides, and GENTLY pull up and towards you. Be careful because there is thin plastic at the front(part by window) that can break. Be extra careful when putting the lid back in. Don't try to force it. Line the clip holes towards the back window up. Thats how my lid was broken in my 01 GLX
The installer did not pay attention, and broke the plastic clips. Hope this helps. Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention that underneath the decklid, there are 3 round metal guides that kinda balance the deck lid and the screws go thru em. You've probably figured this one out by now. Sorry bout that dawg

Modified by bumpin1ohm at 3:12 PM 7-11-2003

· Registered
21 Posts
Re: rear deck lid (SLACKER 1.8T)

I just did this to mine.
One thing you should know is that those plastic clips on top of the rear deck cover the bolts holding it down.
Also bolted down under the plastic clips are metal "horseshoe" shaped things. If you try to just pry up on the platic clip, you are actually prying on the metal piece (that you can't see under the plastic clip) and you won't get anywhere.
Grab a stubby flathead screw driver and start at the corner, lifting gently up. Once you get it up a little bit, then go to the other side and lift that side. It will come out without much force.
Just don't stick the screwdriver too far under there or you will be prying on the metal part which I guarantee won't move. Just pry up on the very edge--just the plastic.
It is hard to describe in words, but once you get the first one it's obvious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.