VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Touareg in to get the CD changer wiring harness replaced and my tech said there was a recall on the rear diff (something about the oil, I think.) Anyone hear about this?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (fauvaydoc)

Thanks for the link. Just got my Touareg back this afternoon. On the short drive from the dealership to the office I noticed that it seemed much "happier" off the line and handles acceleration around curves better. It could all be in my head though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (fauvaydoc)

"There is a new update for 2004 m.y. owners with rear differential lock between VIN range 7L-4D000014 to 7L-4D060119. It involves replacing the fluid in the rear diff and both fill and drain plugs. The code is "BQ". So next time you're in for service, make sure it gets done."
The above statement is the previous poster. And my V10 vin is 77L-D0779xx. Thank God for the info! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (watson007)

I don't think it's that elementary My Dear Watson, but my guess is that it has something to do with the binding and juddering of the rear diff locks.
Maybe they found metal filings in the master oil tanks at the Bratislavia plant...or the drunken Brats were throwing their empty vodka bottles into the tank.
But whatever it was..that oil was BAD! REAL BAD!!!

Cy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (CBurkard)

I had mine done and immediately took a 900mi trip. I swear my gas mileage was 10%+ better. The truck runs smoother accelerating from a stop. All in my head? Maybe. But when I imagine things, they are usually negative, not postive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (tedpark)

On my drive home this evening (lots of winding highway) I could really tell a difference. What I thought was "nasty transmission" behavior --even after having it replaced -- seems to have improved significantly.
If anyone with locking rear diff hasn't had the recall work performed, set up an appointment and let us know if you notice an improvement. I really hope that you will as the change has made me love my Touareg all over again... just hope the performance improvement is permanent.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Kind of curious what damage was done to the running gears with the old oil if the change made such a noticiable improvement to you folks. I had mine done but it was in conjunction with a tire replacement so the change would not be nearly as obvious. I am thinking VW might have some extended warranty issues with regard to the rear differential on the horizon.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (ArizBob)

I was wondering the same thing. Also wondering if it was caused the failure of my first transmission. While driving in the city this morning I noticed shifting between 1st, 2nd and 3rd was much smoother than before. I used to be able to feel it change gears, now I have to look at the MFI.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

I also think the gear shifts are more smooth and soft after the diff oil change.
Do you think they did some tranny software reflash also. I have the rear diff locks.
There must have been something, really bad in that oil, used earlier, in those specifc VINs and it may have been the cause of all those stepper motor/tranny issues and what not.
So what happens if the rear axle falls off after the tranny chain warranty expires???
Cy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (tedpark)

Quote, originally posted by tedpark »
I had mine done and immediately took a 900mi trip. I swear my gas mileage was 10%+ better. The truck runs smoother accelerating from a stop. All in my head? Maybe. But when I imagine things, they are usually negative, not postive.

With deepest respect to all the posters who noted 'significant improvement' after the oil change, I would offer that what we may have here is a variation on the "Westinghouse Effect"!
On the other hand, I'm going to the dealer today.

Tom

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Rear Differential Oil Recall? (watson007)

Quote, originally posted by watson007 »
Anyone know why the recall and what the symptoms are?

There aren't any symptoms that I know of, my guess for the reason of the recall is new fluid updated with some kind of friction modifier for the locking clutches that should have been in there in the first place. VW doesn't let us know why, they just say "do it". http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Re: (fauvaydoc)

Quote, originally posted by fauvaydoc »
The software flash is for the center diff (t-case) module. The rear diff lock has a separate module in the left rear and there is no update for this one.

Is this a NEW flash or the same one that has been out for 6 or more months now?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.