VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the swap about a month ago and the rear calipers dont seem to adjusting at all. I have to pull the ebrake lever way up to hold the car. The kit was used but seemed to be complete. What makes the rear calipers stay adjusted correctly?????? I need help! i have bled the brake system aswell as flushed it. I still have a some what soft pedal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Re: rear disc conversion problem (bad GLS)

have you tightened correctly the 2 bolts on teh brake handle?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: rear disc conversion problem (ATS)

I have followed the bentley on adjustig the cables. I am wondering what adjusts out the rear calipers?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Re: rear disc conversion problem (bad GLS)

well after I parked my 85 with the 16v rear disc conversion in 1rst gear because the rear caliper would not grab on ebrakes, they finally just did!
but only one of the two is actually working, as you I bought mine used from a scrap yard and it seems it is a common occurence.
guess you need to get new/rebuilt caliper. at least you have cores.
I found a GTI today with all brakes on it still... I will be stealing those for my other rocco I am getting this week to upgrade the brakes on it

hopefully... they will work.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: rear disc conversion problem (ATS)

The pads "self-adjust" outwards with the threads on the piston. If the handbrake setting is not perfect, the pistons will be too deep into the caliper. These pistons tend to jam up easily, so you may have to take the caliper off and with a block of wood between the pads (or piston and frame) see if they extend out at all. *If there is too much room for the piston to come completely out, you can pop it free for a total cluster. *

1 - 5 of 5 Posts