VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, was just hoping to get some knowledge and maybe confirmation of my suspicions on an issue I’ve had recently with my 19 Tiguan. About a week ago, my wife noticed some pretty bad grinding noise coming from the back wheel. Being pretty familiar with the sound (metal on metal), I pulled the tire off to check the brakes to see what’s going on. After inspecting, I can see the inner pad (closest to the middle of the car) is completely gone! Just straight metal on rotor, thus the grinding sound. The outer pad however still has about 40-50% of the pad left. The car only has just under 50k miles on it. Since it’s still under warranty, I took it in and they keep trying to tell me it’s “normal” for the inside pad to wear quicker than the outside.

I call complete BS. I’m not a master mechanic or anything, but I do know my way around the car and I know it’s not normal for the inside pad to wear at twice the rate of the outside pad without there being something wrong. They say they checked the caliper to make sure it wasn’t sticking (which was my assumption that it was, cause you could hear the grinding even when the brakes weren’t applied, plus we haven’t been getting the greatest of MPG, about 21 on average) and they checked whatever other systems are involved and said everything checks out clean and kept trying to peddle that BS story that this is normal in this model vehicle. If this is true, then all the other pads on my car should be the same, but of course they’re not.

I had the car into the dealer about 6 months ago for standard 40k maintenance and they never said anything about it. It does sound like they are going to cover the costs of the repair though because they said I’m a “repeat customer” and value my service or something so I’m happy about that part, but I still think they realized they screwed up and missed something or found something wrong and don’t want to own up to it, but know I’ve got them in a pinch, so they are going to cover it.

What do you guys think? Is there any possible way one pad on one side could wear out completely at twice the rate of the others, under “normal” conditions?

Thanks all for the help and sorry for the long rant…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not uncommon for one side to wear more than the other. The pad opposite side of the piston will wear more typically. It doesn't retract the same as the piston side. Not sure about twice the wear rate...

Unless something bad has happened a short time ago, this should have been caught earlier on.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I think your BS Detector is working just fine.
One pad to the metal opposite pad 50%? Nah!

I am not familiary with rear disc brakes on modern VW's
If it is a single piston, sliding caliper my guess would be the caliper is not free to move as it should be.

Best of Luck getting it covered,
fat biker

P.S. for a single piston caliper pay attention to the lube of the caliper slider pins.

·
Registered
262 Posts
"Inspection" of brake pads often means looking at the outer one. So you passed there, congrats! If this were my vehicle I'd change the pads, grind or replace the rotor, and try to remember to look at it again in a couple years.

·
Registered
28,879 Posts
Rears on my Escape wore quickly. Don't think they greased the caliper slide pins at assembly. I did the rear brakes at just over 30k. Greased the slide pins.

Over 60k on rears now, 95k on Escape, and they look fine.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So did you have to pay for a brake job at 29k? If this is truly typical, this is an atrocious oversight on VWs part.
My wife and I are both mechanics so we caught it before there was any serious rotor damage and I just slapped rear pads on it. AFAIK most automakers only warranty brakes for 12/12, so I didn’t even bother asking. I don’t want random people touching my cars’ brake systems anyway.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
969 Posts
Uh, I DID read the thread AND look at the pictures, sir.
There is ZERO pad on the inside.
I'm 65 years old and have taken care of my own cars all my life. I am a Degreed Engineer.
I think I have enough background on cars to give an educated guess.

Bob.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife and I are both mechanics so we caught it before there was any serious rotor damage and I just slapped rear pads on it.
That’s awesome, wish I would have caught it. So the dealer is going to pay the labor but I’m on the hook for the parts, which I understand. It’s not their fault I have to brake lol. When I asked about how this could happen he mentioned that the auto start/stop system uses the brakes, and I think he specifically stated the inner brake to hold the car which is why those wear so much quicker. This is my first car with the start/stop stuff so no idea if this is true, but I guess that could explain part of it. Every other system checked out as operating normally.

Also he stated the rotors on the back are so thin from the factory that they can’t be turned so have to replace is standard procedure. Have you had any issue with just putting pads in without turning or swapping the rotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
That’s awesome, wish I would have caught it. So the dealer is going to pay the labor but I’m on the hook for the parts, which I understand. It’s not their fault I have to brake lol. When I asked about how this could happen he mentioned that the auto start/stop system uses the brakes, and I think he specifically stated the inner brake to hold the car which is why those wear so much quicker. This is my first car with the start/stop stuff so no idea if this is true, but I guess that could explain part of it. Every other system checked out as operating normally.

Also he stated the rotors on the back are so thin from the factory that they can’t be turned so have to replace is standard procedure. Have you had any issue with just putting pads in without turning or swapping the rotors?
We were fine doing the pad slap. But I can tell you that the auto stop-start is NOT the issue, because I disabled it on our Tiguan.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my 2018 Tiguan only lasted 40k miles.
my 2022 Taos only lasted 24k miles.
my 2022 Tiguan is at 10k and im closely monitoring it.

These are the rear brakes. Its a big thing on the Taos side as the rears are only lasting about 15-25k miles.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Start/stop adds wear on the rear brakes (and maybe only the inner pad). That's a new one

1 - 20 of 53 Posts