VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post pics sometime soon. It almost made me cry man. Some neglegent jerk rear-ended me in his big ass 14 ton truck on the highway. Nothing like being hit in the tail of a corrado during rush hour traffic.
I hope someone out there can sympathize w/ me. But hey here is my question. The damages, which i haven't gotten an estimate for yet, include almost everything above the rear bumper. Rear panel ... smashed, both lighting assemblies (including the break light below the spoiler).... smashed, rear hatch, includes the spoiler ... bent to hell (going to need a new one)
, also some paint and buffing on the bumper, but everything below the top part of the bumper is fine, INCLUDING THE EXHAUST. The car is driveable. Has this happend to anyone else and can you give me an rough, and trust me i know its going to be rough, estimate? I drive a 92 Blue G60 (stock) w/ about 96k on her. Am I going to loose this car b/c the damages are going to more than its worth??? I might have to go to court over her...
If anyone can help that would be great... Thanks...

·
Registered
90 Corrado, 97 B4 TDI, '10 CC 4 MO
4,371 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (Corrado92vw)

quote:[HR][/HR] Am I going to loose this car b/c the damages are going to more than its worth??? I might have to go to court over her...
If anyone can help that would be great... Thanks...[HR][/HR]​
I came real close to loosing my Corrado to the insurance company and that was when the car was sitting in my driveway.

Someone stole my radio and did this to the door to get in.

On the phone, the INS co said it was coming up totaled.
The body shop was able to fix the door, if not they said a new one was $1100 and that would have, more than likely caused the INS co. to total the car.
They paid $800 to fix the door and $345 for the radio.
Not trying to scare you, just letting you know what could happen.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

that happened to my C when my sister owned it....
the accident was last year....
i will ask her how much all that cost her.
it was a jeep that hit her... and the damage was similar.
i'll let you know after i next talk to her.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

That sucks man... Lots of corrados going down in the last couple months...
I think they'll try and write it off. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
If I were you I'd start finding the parts used and tell your insurance co. If they source new Vw parts you're in bad shoes. God knows what a new hatch is worth from the stealership. That little brake light lense from my dealer was about $240

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (Gingerbread)

i feel your pain. i had some A-hole try to back into a space next to me and took out my front fender and screwed up my right-rear wheel well. the ins co gave me 800 from my uninsured motorist.........wouldn't it figure they hit my car and bounced without leaving a note. just my luck. so if i ever cathc this moron it'll be time to pay the piper. feel your pain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (Syonara_G60Style)

yeah, my c got totaled too, but i just kept her and am now doing a complete restoration. it was all front end damage, cause some stupid chick pulled right out in front of me...anyway ins co's must not know the true value of these cars.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (wsr02)

quote:[HR][/HR]anyway ins co's must not know the true value of these cars.[HR][/HR]​
There is a difference between actual cash value and sentimental value, unfortunately for you the insurance company only deals in cash.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (Syonara_G60Style)

If the insurance company tells you its a write off. Take their max payout for your car and find a shop to fix it. I am sure you can find the parts and have it done for around $3500 if you look around. An old #$%& hit me and damaged the VW estimated $5000 worth of parts alone without labour/paint. I found all the parts for $1500 and had the whole car painted with some gound effects added for $3500. Talk to the body shop where your car is being estimated for options. And you can argue with your insurance company you do have a choice. It sucks a moron hit you but something good may come out of it.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (Corradoman8)

Get your cars appraised. If you dump a crap load of $$$ into your car appraise it. You'll definetly get more than book, then find a company that will honor the appraisel before writing up a policy.
We had a 64 mustang, had it appraised for 35k. When it was totaled the insurance company tried to give us 2k, but then we reminded them of the appraisel and got the full 35k. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (G60Dud3)

quote:[HR][/HR]Has this happend to anyone else and can you give me an rough, and trust me i know its going to be rough, estimate?[HR][/HR]​
I hear where you are coming from, just to give you an idea the previous owner had it estimated at 4000$ for repairs. Thing is, it depends on who writes the estimate and who is doing the work. For instance some places might tell you that you need stuff that can just be straightened like the hatch, chances are that if your window didn't break it can be straightened, as for other cost cutting ways...get a real estimate then source your parts from the classifieds and bring them to the shop(taillights, hatch for example), you should be able to knock that baby down within reason if YOU do the legwork, remember we have more connections to parts on here then body shops or the dealer does so use it to your advantage. Oh and if your near philly you can bring it to my shop and we'll take care of you

[Modified by maschinenvolkg60, 10:59 PM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Re: rear-ENDED!!! (maschinenvolkg60)

As I said before, I'm really sorry Ryan.
Don't completely loose hope yet. I got hit in October and I was worried mine would be totalled but it wasn't even with the damage being $2,300. It will also depend on who you take her to. I would advise strongly against Subway in Carlisle. I know it's not that close but I recommed R. Myers in Etters. He's the one who did my C and I was very impressed with him and the work he did. He works on BMW's and Porsches too. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

That sucks man. Totalled.
Same thing happened to me with my first corrado G60. Some jackass in a huge Ford F-350 megaton dually with a giant ranch hand grill guard rear ended me at a stoplight. It was still drivable but the hatch wouldn't stay closed, and the body shops I went to said it wasn't fixable. Something about the inside of the trunk being crumpled. I don't know... pissed me off.

[Modified by Zinc, 12:42 PM 1-24-2003]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts