VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a work around for installing a Rear Fog Light in the Stock NA tail lights and thought I would share!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Install a Head Light Switch that includes the Rear Fog Light Option (Purchased from Bold-sport.com)

- Enable Rear Fog light and Rear Fog light Dash Icon via VCDS (Purchased a Ross-Tech Micro-Can Cable from Concept1.ca)

Open VCDS and Click “Select”

Click “09-Cent. Elect”

Click “Security Access -16”

Enter the Access Code “31347” and then “Do it!”

Click “Coding - 07”

Click “Long Coding Helper”

Select Byte 7 then Enable Bit 4 “Light Switch with Rear Fog Light(s) installed”

Exit window, the “New Coding” text box should now be populated. Click “Do it!”

The Rear Fog Light Icon should now appear on the Dash when the Switch is set to Rear Fog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- The next step is to Reassign the wire that currently powers the Drivers side Reverse Light

Still in the “09 Cent. Elect” Module, Click “Adaptation- 10”
Scroll through the Channel List until (4) – Leuchte28RFL LC11-Lichtfunktion A28
Select the New Value “Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt”

Click “Do it!”
The Drivers side Reverse Light should now illuminate when the Switch is set to Rear Fog

- Now it’s time for some physical Changes in the Hatch :)

First step for me was to remove the light housing by first removing the bulb holder, which is held by a few clips.

Next remove the 2 8mm Nuts circled in Blue
The housing should now move out and counter clock wise

Use tool of choice to cut out the dummy bulb outlined in Yellow

The housing should now look like this:

- Next is to do a bit of rewiring

Start by removing the blue/ black wire from the pin 4 on the Drivers Side harness. This is the old reverse wire and new Rear Fog Wire
This wire can be inserted into pin 5 on the Drivers Side Harness

To restore the reverse Drivers Side Reverse Light I made a Jumper from the Passenger Side Harness. The details can be seen in the illustration below

- All that remains is to place a new bulb in the holder. The bulb required is a 7440, which I had an extra from when I ordered by LED Brake Light set from DeAutoKey.

- Reinstall the holder and enjoy!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Excellent!! Thank you!! I'm hoping to do this mod very soon. I already have the Euro non-LEDs, so I won't need to do the dremel part. ;)

Then it's just to code the amber turn signals and I'm good to go!!

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
You have to make sure the contrast between brake and tails are there, if not LED tails are not good - we have tested to make sure our LEDs contrast between tails/brake are perfect so you can be seen when you hit the brakes!

fog:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gti-bright-red-fog-led

Brake/tail turn kit - new brighter option with increase contrast between brake/tails:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-complete-brake-osram-led-kit-bright-error-free-plug-play

AND ALL LEDs for your car:
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-by-car-model-vw-gti-golf-mk7-2015

We tested so these work and look good.

·
Registered
528 Posts
THANK YOU!!! This is awesome! It might tide me over till I get the LED's next year. :thumbup:

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I know I've benefited from countless DIYs posted on here over the years. It was about time that I contributed haha.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just to confirm I am not missing something or totally inept....but doesn't this route only give you a working Driver Side Rear Fog Light?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to confirm I am not missing something or totally inept....but doesn't this route only give you a working Driver Side Rear Fog Light?
That's correct, I've always seen that as the correct operation for a rear fog. I know some models use both though. To make both work you can copy the design for the reverse wiring and connect the fogs together.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
One fog is easier to differentiate from brake lights, won't blind rear drivers and more cost effective.

I occasionally see cars with two, but I think it's overkill.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just want to add a photo of the full rear end

All rear lighting is from DeAutoKey!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sooooooooooo... no running new wires from front-to-back, but re-coding, re-pinning a wire and making a jumper from right to left reverse-lights? KILLER! Been waiting for this one... now I just have to find someone in Orange County/southern L.A. county who can re-code for me. :) Great write up. Awesome!

·
Registered
346 Posts
JBale, how much trim on the hatch did you remove to run the jumper wire? Or did you just feed it behind the right side to the left?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JBale, how much trim on the hatch did you remove to run the jumper wire? Or did you just feed it behind the right side to the left?

Ideally I would have removed it all and fixed the wire to the existing harness, but I just guided the wire through to save time and prove the concept.

·
Registered
19,469 Posts
JBale-great photos, I fwd them, they will be posted on IG and FB!

Squirrel Nuts-we 100% agree with you, we like the OEM housings vs the aftermarket LED housings. It is a cleaner more uniformed look and design. +when you add our LEDs, you will have the same brightness.

:thumbup:
I agree. I've seen your lights. I'll be purchasing those at some point. :wave:

1 - 20 of 328 Posts