VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any information on Haldex 1st generation gear ratios, versions and so on.
The problem is that I don't know if I can use combinations like these:

2.8L engine + 2.8L gearbox (with angle drive, T-case) + 1.8L rear diff

OR

1.8T engine + 1.8T gearbox (with angle drive, T-case) + 2.8L rear diff.

Do these rear differentials differs talking about gear ratios ?
Can I use any of differentials available in many different petrol models (A3, Leon, TT, S3, mk4) ?
I already know that, mechanical part is different in diesel versions comparing to petrol.

I'm doing mk2 + haldex project. At the moment I'm able to get 2.8L engine + gearbox + T-case. But that donor has no diff available. I need to be sure if I shall be able to source that part from let's say 2.0L, 1.8T, 3.2L car.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm looking for any information on Haldex 1st generation gear ratios, versions and so on.
The problem is that I don't know if I can use combinations like these:

2.8L engine + 2.8L gearbox (with angle drive, T-case) + 1.8L rear diff

OR

1.8T engine + 1.8T gearbox (with angle drive, T-case) + 2.8L rear diff.

Do these rear differentials differs talking about gear ratios ?
Can I use any of differentials available in many different petrol models (A3, Leon, TT, S3, mk4) ?
I already know that, mechanical part is different in diesel versions comparing to petrol.

I'm doing mk2 + haldex project. At the moment I'm able to get 2.8L engine + gearbox + T-case. But that donor has no diff available. I need to be sure if I shall be able to source that part from let's say 2.0L, 1.8T, 3.2L car.
They are all the same it doesn't matter what engine. But there is a gen 1 and gen 2 diff so you would have to make sure to get the right year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They are all the same it doesn't matter what engine. But there is a gen 1 and gen 2 diff so you would have to make sure to get the right year.
How can I identify ?

As far as I know this is 1st generation started in 1998 and was discontinued in 2002. That means all of the golf mk4, audi A3 8L, 1st TT's, 1st S3 had 1st generation haldexes ? I'm I right ?

1st generation looks like this:

2nd generation looks like this:

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,073 Posts
So then, could a mk1 Haldex be swapped out (upgraded) to a mk2? I'd love to get a selectable unit in my TTq

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would think that at very least you'd need a new rear subframe, the cases look nothing alike so I doubt it would be a straight trade. Gen2 to Gen4 is more likely from a mechanical perspective as they appear to have (but may not have) the same dimensions. Electrically? They might be expecting different data, or at least different scaling of said data from different sensor revisions.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would think that at very least you'd need a new rear subframe, the cases look nothing alike so I doubt it would be a straight trade. Gen2 to Gen4 is more likely from a mechanical perspective as they appear to have (but may not have) the same dimensions. Electrically? They might be expecting different data, or at least different scaling of said data from different sensor revisions.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi everybody,

I'm having problems with my S3 8L rear diff. I'm lookin for "new" one and I'm a bit confused with different rear assy codes (current 02D525010AE) and diff codes (current EUK). It's very hard to find one with exact same combination.

This information, that all Gen1 (petrol cars) rears are interchangeable, would help a lot.

But since I'll have to buy the part outside Finland (prices here are ridiculous), and returning the part might be impossible, I would be very pleased if this can be confirmed.

So, is it really like this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts