VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
The owner's manual in my new-to-me '86 Jetta makes mention of an optional rear seat with a hole in the center to pass skis through. I've seen this in Audi's, but never VWs - mostly 'cause I haven't spent much time looking at VW's 'til recently.
Anywho, does anyone have a pic of one of these seats (or a blue cloth one for sale cheap)? With winter coming, I'd like to pick one up so I can use this as the ski trip car.
Alternatively, cheap roof racks would do, but I like the idea of the seat thingy better.
thanks,
Craig
86 Jetta diesel - the commuter weapon.
81 Rabbit 1.7L - the project - for sale?
69 Beetle - holding the garage floor down.
02 Jetta Wagon 1.8T, 5spd - on "order"
00 non-vw pickup - proving very handy for pulling dead rabbits around

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Re: rear seat w/ski bag (forcedtojoin)

I haven't seen the rear seats...(yet)
Go for a rack with a ski bag for the skis to protect them...

·
Registered
39 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Anywho, does anyone have a pic of one of these seats (or a blue cloth one for sale cheap)? With winter coming, I'd like to pick one up so I can use this as the ski trip car.
[HR][/HR]​
Here you go. I have used it once in the 5 years I have had the car (for toting lumber no less), but good luck!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

yea I have one in my jetta.
havent used it yet, but I just bought the car a week ago.
my seats are grey leather, so wouldn't relly go with your interior, if I was to part with them

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: rear seat w/ski bag (MesaSkaphelies)

Do you have a pic of what it looks like on the inside?
I suppose I could take a beat-up regular seat back and attack it with the sawz-all...
Racks would be OK, too (got any cheap?), but there's something cool about the seat thing...
OTOH, now that I think about it, racks would work for my kayak too, so yeah, I want racks... yeah, that's the ticket. ;-)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

Thule's are my favorites... they sit in the rain gutters and not on the roof like some of the other ones.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Re: rear seat w/ski bag (MesaSkaphelies)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I have used it once in the 5 years I have had the car (for toting lumber no less), but good luck! [HR][/HR]​
Lumber huh? What else would you carry in a Jetta?

·
Registered
39 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Do you have a pic of what it looks like on the inside?[HR][/HR]​
I will take one tomorrow. It is just the same as the regular consol seat but with a big black nylon sock that extends to the front seats.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts

I have one that i will sell if the price is right. I need to find out what new from dealer is before i give you a price, if you want to make me an offer i will consider it. Mine is black leather.

·
Registered
27 Posts

The ski bag is just a bolt on option , take out the tray (four nuts) and the ski bag frame bolts to it. I asked at a wreckers once and was told 20$ can. , but if there isn't alot of skiing around you the wreckers might not have any. I just keep the tray out all the time for easy pass through room. skis, lumber, and so on. Good way to get things out of the passenger compartment too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: rear seat w/ski bag (gonesouth)

My seat is solid, there is no console or tray. I'd need the seat I guess. I doubt I'd bother with the bag if I didn't need it, since I have bags for both sets of skis. If I fell into a cheap seat w/console (or whatever), I'd get it, but it does seem like roof racks would be the way to go. I don't know about Thule though, aren't they on the spendy side? Considering that it's a cheap commuter weapon, I wouldn't want $100+ tied up in roof racks... gotta check eBay!
I'm mostly curious to see what the seat/bag looks like at this point.
I dropped the Jetta off today for inspection, it'll be interesting to see what all fails... ;-)
thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts