VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I used anti-seize on them before I put them on. The car has been through the crappy winter up here in the north east. I decided to just take off the wheels and make sure everything was cool for when I install new brakes.
I tried to gently pry them with a flathead screwdriver, and slightly tapping the other end with a mallot, no luck though.
The only other thing I can think of is using a heat gun maybe ??
I don't understand
I coated them with anti-seize..The fronts are ok...
Any advice is appreciated http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: Rear spacers stuck on.. (G3T3I7)

This could be what's happened, because you used the anti seize on the whole surface, there is no air between the hub spacer and the disc face, therefore it's attached by "suction" (example; take two peices of glass and lay one flat on the table. Then spread a bit of water on it. Place the second peice of glass on top, pressing gently to spread the water in between the two peices of glass. Then try to pry them apart. It will be impossible. The only way to get them apart is to slide them apart, and even that will be difficult. Of course you can't slide the spacer off!). Your idea of a heat gun is a good one. Just don't overdo it and only heat one side of the spacer. You want only one side of the spacer to expand. Heating the aluminum will cause it to grow a bit and you should be able to get the spacer off. Also the compound will expand abit too, forcing the spacer off (it should). Try using a sharp thin putty knife instead of a screwdriver.. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Re: Rear spacers stuck on.. (groupracer)

mine were siezed on also, i put very a little anti-seize on the hub when i installed them, but i am not sure it did much. To remove them we tried heat, screwdrivers, scrapers, etc... We ended up taking a cheisel to all 4 and ruining them and throwing them away. It was a leason learned.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Re: Rear spacers stuck on.. (groupracer)

Quote, originally posted by groupracer »
.....because you used the anti seize on the whole surface, there is no air between the hub spacer and the disc face, therefore it's attached by "suction" .....

No such thing as suction causing this condition!!! It's totally due to electrolysis between disimilar metals. Greatest problem area is right and hub's centering lip, not so much on flat surfaces.
If you have a lot of rain/salt conditions, you'll need to remove them at more frequent intervals and clean/re-coat.
If I decide on rear spacers on this car (like previous Jetta), I'm going to try using some of the Mobil Synth grease I got for other purposes.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rear spacers stuck on.. (Sheep)

Very good points everyone, thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What a pain
I don't want to ruin the spacer...I will try the heat gun thing soon...It does make sense to keep removing, cleaning, and re-applying though. i will do that from now on.
BUMP for any other advice, or experiences

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts