VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Sunshade Installed in Jetta (lots of pics)

Hello everyone, I have been looking into a rear sunshade for my Jetta for some time. I had no interest in the $400 GLX conversion so I began searching and thanks to the guys over at Fred’s TDI forum.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=001294 for the Fred’s TDI thread. I was able to find the part number for a rear sunshade made by Votex. The PN for Jetta is: 1J5 064 360, Golf PN is 1J0 064 360. I ordered my sunshade through a buddy in the parts department at my local dealership but also found it available online: http://www.vwparts.com/index.cfm Prices online were $80 for Golf and $108 for Jetta. The retail price at the dealer is $125. Installation took no more than a few minutes and I love the results.
Here are the pics:

[Modified by Kellar, 3:16 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: Rear Sunshade Installed in Jetta (Kellar)

Man, that looks great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Much neater than the cheezy suction-pod-mounted thing made by Axius I have to put on during the summertime. I am definitely going to order it. The price looks at http://www.vwparts.com looks attractive too (at http://www.parts.com, its $135!).
I only have a couple of questions:
1. what kind of see-thru visibility do you have from inside? "Only in conjunction with two outside rearview mirrors" clause implies that there is not much visibility at all? As ugly as my Axius shade is, it still allows you to see thru on a reasonably sunny day. I hope Votex shade is good in this department. Can you comment on this aspect? The pics you shot are showing it from a distance too close, I'd also want to see a pic taken from driver's seat.
2. The pic with instructions shows that some drilling of the interior is required? If that's so, maybe going whole nine yard with a motorized GLX convertion is not really such a big difference?
I am probably going to get this shade anyway, though.
Thanks for a great post!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Rear Sunshade Installed in Jetta (gorilla800lbs)

gorilla800lbs,
The visibility is perfect, just like the Passat or Jetta GLX factory sunshade version, same material. You can get an idea of the visibility from the second and third pics. As for drilling, I just used a leather punch to push through the parcel shelf and the screws fit through the shelf holes no problem w/o drilling. The parcel shelf appears to be made from a sound deading material, wasn't difficult to punch through in the least.
I am not sure the GLX version is motorized, I think rather it is built into the rear decklid-hopefully a GLXer will explian. I have not looked at a GLX in some time.
Let me know if you have more questions, I have really enjoyed the increased privacy in traffic.

[Modified by Kellar, 8:55 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
10,076 Posts

Yeah, the one on the GLX is not motorized, although that would be cool if it was. I would probably use it more often.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Re: Rear Sunshade Installed in Jetta (dieseldorf)

I think it is... I just called my dealership (they were going to sell it to me at the list price of $125 plus tax)... Sounds like everything you need is supplied. My order was just confirmed through Impex (vwparts.com).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Rear Sunshade Installed in Jetta (agarc)

dieseldorf
I had everything I needed included in the box, the screws were allready in place under the sunshade casing and with the directions in one end of the box was a small plastic bag containing the nuts, washers, and sunshade clips along with two rubber bushings.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

Well, that all sounds good. IMPEX was coming up with a different P/N for some reason. Could VOTEX stuff sold in Germany carry different P/Ns for the identical part sold in America???
I have now ordered it thru my local dealer and he says these parts all come out of Chicago. I guess I will see it at the end of the week.

Cheers.

(Does VOTEX have a US site where we can view all the cool Euro parts)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

Yeah...the GLX one pulls out from the hat shelf. It's like inside it and pulls out. I haven't ever used it...I guess it would be nice if you kids in the backseat or something, but I don't plan on having kids for a long time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: Rear Sunshade Installed in Jetta (RENZO1200)

Is it the same part for the Jetta as the Golf? The TDI forum shows the last 3 of the part number as 160, not 360 as the Jetta, but I cannot find 160 at vwparts.com.... Any help? I want one!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Re: Sechscylinder

The Jetta does not use the same part as the Golf. The Golf set up appears to be shorter (length) and is a few bucks less. It appears the fasten clips in the ceiling are different between the G and the J.
If you go over to the link noted above at the TDI club, someone has posted the directions for the Golf...check it out.
The Golf should be 1J0 064 160 - Golf $80.00...I am now under the impression that your local stealer would gladly order this for you...their price will be slightly higher. They may disavow any knowledge of it 'cause they will use the same old broken-record excuse: "....we can't find it in our system"...blah. blah. blah."..and therefore wouldn't even consider taking a shot at it"....blah. blah. blah.

[Modified by dieseldorf, 7:30 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: Sechscylinder (dieseldorf)

Dieseldorf....
The part number for th eGolf ends in 160, not 360. That is why I can't find it at the VWparts website. You can see this by comparing the post in the TDI forum to that in this forum. The Jetta part above is 1J0 064 360 which is the only one I can find for 80 dollars....??

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: Sechscylinder (Sechscylinder)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ok,
here's what I found out. The part number:
1J0 064 160 is a good number, it also switches to 1J0 064 360
I don't know the difference and wasn't able to find out why it switches.
VWParts 800 736 3550
Has it for $80.00 plus shipping!! This isn't too bad.
[HR][/HR]​
There are TWO numbers for the GOLF.
Lito

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.