VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2008 R32 about 2 months ago and I love the car, but being in the northeast winter is coming and I wanted to adjust the BC coilover suspension to gain more clearance. In this process I found out the passenger side front and rears were seized into oblivion forcing me to order new dampener cartridges and lower mounts (and applying loads of anti-seize compound on the threads before installation). Now my issue is in the rear. I like the position of the passenger side which allows my fingers fit between the tire and fender lip, but the driver side remains tucked even when the coil adjustment is identical to the passenger side. So I assumed maybe there is some asymmetry due to bushing wear or something of the sort, so I adjusted the driver side rear coil an inch more than the passenger side, and still it is tucked. I then went back again adjusting it more to about 3' more than the passenger side and it remains tucked. What in the hell could be wrong? The springs are adjusted equally as well, and both dampener cartridges are brand new. I am at a loss and becoming more frustrated the more I mess with it. If anybody has some knowledge on this, I'd greatly appreciate some advice. My next step is swapping springs from side to side to see if maybe that could be a factor. Thanks

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Stock suspension here, running on my third suspension rebuild since new. I've thought about going aftermarket, as I did on my previous cars, but never got around it on this one...yet.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I agree this is weird. Is it possible one of the springs is broken? I had a friend in Buffalo, NY who had a spring snap due to rust. Might be worth pulling them out to inspect. I like the idea of swapping them.

How many miles are on the car? All original rear bushings? Something definitely sounds off with the suspension geometry.

Actually, I had an issue before with B&G coilovers and the bump stomps. Basically the rear strut was not adjusted properly and was preventing proper suspension travel. I'm not familiar with BC coilovers and the adjustments but it's worth looking into the struts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts