VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Passat'ers,
As some of you may have read from previous posts, I just recently purchased a set of H&R Sports springs as well as a set of Bonrath lowered spring perches (caps?). After seeing the results of other lowered spring swaps here (saggy rear, lower than front), Dustan @ RPI assures me that the Bonrath pieces will fix this, I guess we'll see in a few days. Being the cheap SOB that I am, naturally I'm thinking of attempting this myself. I have done this before on my other 'dubs, & so far at least the fronts look fairly straightforward. Don't worry, I will be getting the alignment done professionally. Now here's the question: From what I've gathered, the rear is going to be (pardon the pun) a royal pain in the butt. Having had a look at where the tops of the rear shocks are, access seems to be the main problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I going to have to take apart the rear deck? Is there an easier way? HELP!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Rear Suspension questions (BkoolB3)

I didn't even bother. I just footed the bill as I got the springs and struts put on at the same time. Save me the hassle anyways. I think you may have to take out the rear deck but that is what my mechanic said when he did mine. I heard the H&R springs do sag do you reckon that is true? that is why I went with the Neuspeed only from recomendation (took them two months to get into my hands though!). don't want to deter you from the H&R's though as they probably function better when cornering etc...
Although mine are bit softer, i think, all in all, they work pretty well. (then again I haven't tried the H&R's).
So about your perches or caps, no idea. Probably the hard way with my limited experience with the B3.
tryin to B-kool dave

·
Registered
159 Posts

on my wagon I had to take out all the rear trim, even the back seat backs to get at other plastic trim, I'm pretty sure the sedan is much of the same, but as long as you know all the tricks with all the plastic snaps it's not too hard. i am having the same problem with sagging in my car but that is mainly because I was sent sedan springs instead of wagon springs (I was a fool for not checking the numbers on the springs first).
The loweing caps you speak of are just for the front right? where did you get them?
thanks

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rear Suspension questions (free2)

Matt- I got the H&R springs & the Bonrath caps from RPI here in BC http://www.rpi-equipped.com Ask for Warren or Dustan & tell Leo sent ya!
Well...it's looking like that maybe I should get a shop to do this, the cheapest quote so far has been around $200

·
Registered
4,614 Posts

I would do it yourself and save your money, its not that hard at all, maybe a couple of hours.
And like Syncro said, its just two bolts. To get to the upper bolts remove rear plastic trim, rear seat belt upper attachment point ( I think both sides) jack car, undo the upper bolts then the lower, turn the whole assembly while pulling down.
The top has screw in type tabs.
Spring compressor, out with old in with new, reverse process, & done!

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Re: Rear Suspension questions (Wrenhaven)

with rear springs - you dont even need a spring compressor. the new springs will be short enough to tighten with the bolt. The front still requires a compressor though,.
And I agree with the above - and in addition, its very simple to do this with the seats in place - not a big deal at all.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,764 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Spring compressor, out with old in with new, reverse process, & done! [HR][/HR]​
Thats the part I'm fearful of. Spring compressor. I've heard horor stories about those things killing people next door when it doesn't hold and goes BOING
Is it safe to use those clamps and u braket things?

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Re: Rear Suspension questions (Action Jackson)

dont worry about the compressors. Get the simplest (and safest IMO) ones, with threads and a long bolt. No way the compressor would even jump off the spring, or vise versa.. just be careful and follow directions!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Rear Suspension questions (WannaCorrado)

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, most appreciated!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (Hope that's enough beer to go 'round, lol) I'm not really anticipating any trouble with spring compressors I've used them in the past. It's just that I've had a peek inside the trunk & there seems to be a whole lot of covering where the rear shock tower tops should be. I'm used to being able to readily spot the rear towers like in the last 2 Jettas I've owned, likewise with the Gti's. Wren- am I going to have to somehow remove the rear deck? Is it going to be difficult getting an air ratchet into this area? My bro-in-law just got himself a big-ass large capacity air-compressor last weekend so we're going to attempt this Sunday afternoon, wish me luck!

·
Registered
11,982 Posts

On a sedan, the upper strut mount shares the mounting bracket with the shoulder belt retractor. The problem is getting at the darn things. I've done it and it was a royal pain.
You have to do this (and this might not be in the right order):
- Remove rear parcel shelf (there's a bolt under your center child seat anchor)
- Plastic trim panel between rear edge of door opening and rear seat ... if I recall correctly, it doesn't need to be completely removed, only enough to expose a bolt that you have to get at
- Remove the plastic thing that the seat belt shoulder strap comes out through (this was an ABSOLUTE PAIN to dislodge!!!)
- Pull back the carpeted trim in the trunk that covers the strut towers enough to expose the rear-facing bolt for the seat belt retractor
- Remove seat belt retractor (above-mentioned rear facing bolt)
The attachment to the rear axle is straightforward but you might have to remove the brake caliper to be able to get a wrench on the nut inside the trailing arm.
Once the strut is loose, you remove it from the vehicle with a twisting motion to unhook a plastic cap at the top. Installation is the reverse ... insert it and then twist it into place so that it hangs there while you attach the bolts.

·
Registered
266 Posts

To reach the rear strut tops you need to remove the little parts of the seatbacks on each side. remove the seatbelt assembly and you will see a bracket for is is held by 2 screws. the other bolts hold the strut.. Not much work at all, I don't know why people removed the rear deck for this..
Good luck,
-WannaCorrado

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Re: Rear Suspension questions (direfu)

"remove seatbelt assembly" - therein lies the problem, this is a big job! Perhaps the Jetta that you have is different, but on a Passat you have to remove a bunch of other things in order to get at the bolts that hold the seat belt retractor in place. I know that on both vehicles that we did (both B4) the parcel shelf had to come out, but that was not a big deal, the real hassle was getting at the bolts holding the seatbelt retractor and the biggest problem of all was removing the plastic guides that the seatbelt emerges through without breaking something.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Re: Rear Suspension questions (GoFaster)

quote:[HR][/HR]"remove seatbelt assembly" [HR][/HR]​
There's just one big bolt holding them in on the back side. Not hard to get to, lemme go look again... one sec...
Ya go in through the trunk pull back the carpeting to get to the back side of the seatbelt bracket.

·
Registered
11,982 Posts

Yes, THAT bolt is easy, but once you get that bolt out of there, the only way you can get the belt retractor out of there (so that you can get to the upper strut bolts which come in from the TOP and are completely covered by the belt retractor and trim pieces), is to remove the parcel shelf and the outer door trim and that infernal plastic trim piece that the shoulder belt goes up through ... The latter trim piece took as long to deal with as all the other trim put together ... If you have the right tool and know the right trick to taking it off then perhaps it's easy, but if you have never done it before and don't know the trick to getting it out, it is darn near impossible to see how it comes out of there just by looking at it.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Re: Rear Suspension questions (GoFaster)

Ya those pieces gotta come out too, but I'll tell you what make it easier to get that upper trim piece out. Get a deep wheel socket and get the seat post bolt out of the way. Then the side piece come out so much easier!
The upper trim piece comes out pretty easy, just loosen the trim piec that goes up the side window, pull up on it a bit and slide the seat belt trim piece out.
Its really not too bad once you figure out which pieces run where.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.