VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am considering to improve the handling of my 2000 Jetta 1.8T and I have a dilemma which rear sway bar to get: 25mm or 28mm. I am an occasionally agressive driver. So far my suspension mods are Bilstein Sports mated to Eibach Pro-Kit springs.
What would you suggest?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (f1forkvr6)

Agreed on the 28mm. Just put my autotech bar in and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (20V1.8Tnut)

I have the same springs/shocks (Eibach Prokit/Bilstein Sports) with the Neuspeed 25mm rear sway on the stiffest setting. If I could change my mind on my sway bar I would choose the 28mm, Neuspeed or Autotech. I have the 28mm rear on my Golf and it handles great.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (02uphillracer)

Quote, originally posted by 02uphillracer »
autotech cheaper.

Shine - even cheaper .... and stiffer

·
Registered
706 Posts

Actually I paid 179 for my autotech bar from performance cafe, compared to the 200 for the shine bar.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (slogtiguy)

Solid or hollow. A 25 mm solid is approx the same stiffness as a 28 mm hollow (given similar designs).
I'd go with a 28 mm hollow.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

someone (forget the handle, sounded norwegen?!) posted a rather technical (i.e. lots of physics) analysis of the stiffness of a 25 mm solid vs. a 28 mm hollow bar.
Results were quite close.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (Jeckyll)

Quote, originally posted by Jeckyll »
someone (forget the handle, sounded norwegen?!) posted a rather technical (i.e. lots of physics) analysis of the stiffness of a 25 mm solid vs. a 28 mm hollow bar.
Results were quite close.
Just yesterday I read in the VW tuning book(the one published by Bentley) that these two are identical. So the 28mm hollw one from Autotech is not just cheaper than solid from NS, it is less siff as wll. Cheapo = http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Modified by 20V1.8Tnut at 1:39 PM 5-14-2003

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

Being that you have a Jetta, your rear end is already stiffer than a GTI/Golf. So I would think a 25mm would be fine. Just my thought

On a Side note, I just bought a Eurosport rear upper stress bar for my GTI, all I can say is wow.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (Dub Nerd)

Quote, originally posted by Dub Nerd »
Being that you have a Jetta, your rear end is already stiffer than a GTI/Golf. So I would think a 25mm would be fine. Just my thought

On a Side note, I just bought a Eurosport rear upper stress bar for my GTI, all I can say is wow.

whatd the stress bar do for you?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

I concur with f1forkvr6, Shine is the ideal for competition use.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (turbomadman)

Quote, originally posted by turbomadman »

whatd the stress bar do for you?

Alot! Email me, I don't want to get off the Topic

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Rear sway bar for Jetta Mkiv: 25mm or 28mm? (Dub Nerd)

Quote, originally posted by Dub Nerd »

I would rephrase your statement about Jetta's rear end being stiffer, if you don't mind: since Jetta's rear end is heavier than Golf/GTI, it tends to oversteer a bit less, so it would not require a sway bar as stiff as Golf/GTI would.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I just want to share my experience with the Neuspeed 25 mm bar. I put the bar on March 2002 and both endlinks rusted apart this week. So I drove 5 miles in the rain this morning with the stupid bar draggin on the road before I could get to a covered gas station to fix the problem. I had to order two replacement endlink kits for $40 each from Neuspeed. My advice, stay away from the Neupseed swaybar if you're in an area where there is heavy salt use on the road.
I enjoy the handling improvement the bar gave me but the fact that they don't stand behind their crappy rusty endlinks is very upsetting.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 20V1.8Tnut »

I would rephrase your statement about Jetta's rear end being stiffer, if you don't mind: since Jetta's rear end is heavier than Golf/GTI, it tends to oversteer a bit less, so it would not require a sway bar as stiff as Golf/GTI would.

That's what I was trying to say http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts