VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear driverside window will not roll down anymore! It didn't work a few times before but started working again after a few tries, now it will not roll down at all!

It makes a clicking noise when I attempt to roll it down (same noise that all other windows make when they cannot roll up anymore or down any more because they are already all the way up or down respectively).
I tried to use the switch on the rear door handle but same thing happens (yes, I checked to make sure that the windows were not "locked" by the little button on the dash).
I tried squeezing both sides and pulling down while a friend pushed the down button, still nothing.
The window worked regularly )with just the few above mentioned exceptions) until three days ago. I thought that it would start working again but so far it's like it's locked in place.
Has anyone had a similar problem before?
If so would you be kind enough to help me figure out what this might be without taking it into a shop or tearing the door appart?

Thanks a million,
Abe

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Rear Window won't roll down!!! HELP PLEASE (jbrams)

Ahh, jbrams, it appears that I share a similar problem. You just responded to my post and I can help you in return! Unfortunately I do not bring good news. When I first test drove the passat I bought a few days ago, I was putzing around with all the features when I accudentally rolled down the rear drivers side window with the front controls..... I felt like an idiot because there were stickers on the window and I thought I jammed it. My parents were with me and we had one person on the outside pushing up, and one on the inside pushing up, and another person pushing the button, and we still had no success. We drove it back and told the saleperson that the window was not working and I was informed that it is a common problem in the passats. Appearantly the power window motors easily burn out. It has something to do with strange cabling used. I can't remember exactly so don't quote me on any of this. Bad news is, the guy said he had to replace it, which in my case was free cause I said I wouldn't buy it unless it was fixed. The mechanic that talked to us said that he would fix it, but the motors normally cost around 600 dollars and he would install it. I am sure this was a huge inflation. So, assuming that I was informed truthfully by the dealer, he said the power window motor needed to be replaced. I hope this helps you some, if you have any questions for me to answer, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rear Window won't roll down!!! HELP PLEASE (Maxel)

Arg

More expensive repairs, not what I wanted to hear.
(1) Did you get the part number for the power window motor?
(2) Where were you quoted that price?
Thanks, any help is appreciated!
Abe

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Anyone else have similar power window issues? Since it's still making the clicking noise when activated and since it worked intermitently before I'm hoping that it's not the motor, but if anyone has a similar experience I'd really like to hear it!
Abe

·
Registered
166 Posts

There's a common problem with the B4 rear windows. The wiring that leads from the car to the door (inside a sort of accordion hose) gets brittle and breaks due to age and constant flexing. I'd recommend pulling this boot first and checking the condition of the wires before you plunk down cash for a repair you might not need. Hope this saves you some $$.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rear Window won't roll down!!! HELP PLEASE (jck667)

Quote, originally posted by jck667 »
There's a common problem with the B4 rear windows. The wiring that leads from the car to the door (inside a sort of accordion hose) gets brittle and breaks due to age and constant flexing. I'd recommend pulling this boot first and checking the condition of the wires before you plunk down cash for a repair you might not need. Hope this saves you some $$.

thanks, I'll check it tonight BUT I'm not sure how to get into that "boot" . . . does it simply pop out of the door (or frame) and then silde over enough to see the wires?
thanks a million! I really hope this is the problem and not the motor, but does it make sense that it is still making a noise when I push the button? I hear it click in th door when I push the button up or down, doesn't that mean that it's geting the signal to roll down but failing to actually do so?
Arg
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
thanks for the help!
Abe

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

If all else fails and you do have to buy a Motor, buy it used. $600 if true (according to dealer) is an exaggerated price to pay. I hope never to be in the same place.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jbrams »
thanks, I'll check it tonight BUT I'm not sure how to get into that "boot" . . . does it simply pop out of the door (or frame) and then silde over enough to see the wires?
thanks a million! I really hope this is the problem and not the motor, but does it make sense that it is still making a noise when I push the button? I hear it click in th door when I push the button up or down, doesn't that mean that it's geting the signal to roll down but failing to actually do so?

IIRC the harness unscrews from the side of the car but you still have to pull the boot off of the harness.
From your description of the window's behaviour, I suspect you have bigger problems than the wire
, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's relatively easy to check yourself and it's nearly free to fix if that's the problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts

I've got the same problem. Seems intermittent. Started last fall and I took the door apart to poke around. Put it back together and it worked, but I didn't change anything. Driving around later it stopped again. I soon discovered that it worked when the door was open and not when closed. If I wiggled the door a few inches when open the window would roll down a little bit. If I found the sweet spot, it would roll down for as long as I kept it there. I decided it was something in that boot. If I wiggled the boot the window would roll down as well. I expect the wires are corroded or broken or something. Seems like the only possible conclusion since I removed any variables from the door by wiggling the boot alone and receiving the same results. Once it warms up I'm going to take it apart and inspect the wires. I quit caring over the winter since I have no reason to open the windows! Hope this helps you guys.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
IIRC, the cost to replace my front window regulator was in the $350 range. You should definitely try checking the wires in the door boot first, as that cost me nothing to fix (just a few minutes to splice in a wire bridge).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: (jmj)

I am having problems with the rear driver side window of my B4. This is really, really odd... but I don't know what to do. It works periodically, for example, it quit moving at all for about 5 months, then yesterday, it openend. My door is broken so I have to unroll the windows everytime I get in, and I have been keeping an eye on it daily. Everytime it does go down, it never stops halfway, always goes completely, but then other times the wierd part sets in.
If I press the window button down, somehow
the window does not budge, rather, the automatic locks engage and lock all the doors
I also hear a loud sound coming from the trunk, maybe a lock, maybe something with the window...? The window makes the typical can't-roll-up sound, which leads me to suspect a bad motor...I have no clue how this happened or what to do about fixing it... rather strange... could this be a bare wire from the window meeting up with wiring for the door locks? I am totally thrown on this. Do I need a new window motor? Anyone Know? Thanks.

Modified by 96_PassatGLS at 6:30 AM 2-20-2004

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: (96_PassatGLS)

Here is how you get at those wires, you don't even need take the door trim off.
Open the door.
Pinch the rubber between thumb and finger. Make sure that you are holding rubber only and not a wire inside.
Pull the rubber hard backwards, away from the pillar and towards the door.
The plastic part will stay in the pillar and the rubber will pull off of it.
After you have rejoined the broken wires you can just push the rubber back over the bit that stayed in the pillar.

·
Registered
55 Posts

The clicking noise you're speaking of DEFINITELY sounds like the regulator. I experienced the same thing where the teeth on the beginning and end of the regulator were stripped and with the window all the way down, it wouldn't go up and it wouldn't go all the way up when i rolled it up. You may want to rip off the door panel so you can get a better view of it (i think) and see if the teeth on the regulator are stripped. I bought my regulator from aplusparts.com fairly cheap and my mechanic threw it in with a bunch of other work I had to have done so it wasn't that bad but definitely check the regulator before you start replacing window motors.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Re: Rear Window won't roll down!!! HELP PLEASE (thecritik)

Exactly. If you are hearing a clicking sound, then the motor is working. The clicking is from the missing teeth not catching on the regulator. The regulator is a pretty straight forward install, check here for parts:\
http://www.impexfap.com

Modified by thecreeper at 9:53 PM 2-22-2004

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Rear Window won't roll down!!! HELP PLEASE (thecreeper)

Questions about the clicking noise:
Mine clicks twice whenever I press the button: once immediatly, once again about 1 second later. This is identical to the noise made by all other windows when I press the up button while they are already rolled all the way up. If this noise is the same as the others I'm led to believe that it is not the problem. It just sounds like the motor turning one and then not being able to move anywhere so it shuts down.
Does that still seem like a busted regulator? Please let me know soon because I have someone who is willing to sell me the motor and/or regulator for very cheap.
I'll open up the door this morning or afternoon to see if I can find the problem. Any suggestions on what exactly to look for? Striped wires, wear on the regulator gear, ???
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Arg, I wiggled the motor (and what I think is the regulator, the black rectangular box under the silver part which I think is the motor) and got it to work again.
I'll wait until it stops working to again to get a better idea of which is causing the problem.
I wish I knew what was happening!
Abe

·
Registered
55 Posts

If you actually look at the regulator, it's a sprocket looking thing with teeth, you can see if the teeth are worn. That's how I knew what was wrong with mine.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Rear Window won't roll down!!! HELP PLEASE (thecritik)

Which part is the regulator? Do you have a picture or can you describe it? All I could see from the door (after removing the inner handle, the speaker, the panel, and the foam liner) was a black box about an inch thick, 3" tall, and 3.5" long which was under a sliver part about the same lenght and screwed in on the side closer to the front of the car.
By wiggling this part I was able to get the window working again, not stalls or anything. It still clicks, but they all click just that one time at the beginning (very quiet, hard to hear if the car is one, seems normal according to other descriptions, doesn't sound like gears grinding).
Do you have a pic of the parts I'm looking at and a reference of which is which?
Thanks, I'm at a loss.
Abe

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi,
There is a "Switch" under your back seat which, from the sounds of it, needs to be replaced. You could replace it easily yourself, and save $$$ by ordering it online somewhere.
Thats what it is though, same thing happened to me.
Jesse

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Rear Window won't roll down!!! HELP PLEASE (devisor36)

What part do you mean? I don't know of any switch under the back seat and I don't understand how wiggling the regualtor or motor in the door (which made it work again) would be related to any such switch.
Could you point me to a site with the part you're talking about and explain how it would cause the problems I've had?
Thanks!
Abe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts