VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried the rear wiper squirt function for the first time yesterday since my rear window dryed out with icky dirt... anyway, it made ONE small squirt about half up and now I just hear what sounds like a motor but NO liquid comes out.. meanwhile the front works just fine..
Is there a seperate place to put fluid for the back wiper? I'm thinking (hoping) this is just something simple like they forgot to put in the fluid in back when doing delivery since this is the first time I tried it and it didn't really work

· Registered
464 Posts
I've heard about the rear getting jammed from the liquid evaporating and leaving crystal / powder stuff inside the nozzle which blocks it. I've heard of people using syringes full of hot water to flush it repeatedly until it's unclogged.
It sounds like a pain in the butt.

· Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (n3mesis)

Quote, originally posted by n3mesis »
I've heard about the rear getting jammed from the liquid evaporating and leaving crystal / powder stuff inside the nozzle which blocks it. I've heard of people using syringes full of hot water to flush it repeatedly until it's unclogged.

if that's the case, it sounds like a warranty claim to me... I only have 2400 miles and it was the 1st time I tried to use it

· Registered
4,663 Posts
Re: Rear Wiper washer no workie :( - worked once and never again.. any insight guys? (Ibid)

Quote, originally posted by Ibid »
Is there a seperate place to put fluid for the back wiper?

Sorry, but the answer is "no". However, it isn't too hard to pull the rear washer nozzle out of the wiper shaft using a pair of pliers (wrap the nozzle with a rag to protect it). You can then unclog the nozzle with hot water and a needle. Also search this forum on "wiper" since there are a couple of posts that describe this process in much more detail. Good luck.

· Registered
81 Posts
Re: Rear Wiper washer no workie :( - worked once and never again.. any insight guys? (Ibid)

Owners manual says only one tank. I checked last week when mine did the same thing, though it squirted once and then 2 minutes later it didn't.
Seeing as my prior car had the same problem (and replacing the pump was a major task), I learned to live without it. So I will turn it in as a warranty claim next time I have ot go to the dealer.

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Re: (n3mesis)

Quote, originally posted by n3mesis »

Better go try mine out http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,017 Posts
Re: Rear Wiper washer no workie :( - worked once and never again.. any insight guys? (blaupfeil)

It's easy to unclog, I didn't even have to use a syringe as some have suggested. If you have tried to use it it will have created some positive pressure in the line, just hold the hose sprayer close to the nozzle and let it blast, in a few seconds you will see the washer fluid start to come out.......hopefully

(This has been my experience anyway)

· Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Rear Wiper washer no workie :( - worked once and never again.. any insight guys? (blaupfeil)

Quote, originally posted by blaupfeil »
Mine was dry too. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the jet under warranty. Plus they detailed the car for free!

guess I just got an excuse to get a free car wash when it gets colder outside.. LOL

· Registered
MK4 R32 DBP
1,807 Posts
Re: (truenthusiast)

Quote, originally posted by PostAbove »
my suggestion would be this:
1) you can swivle-out-of-the-way the wiper-motor cover by un-clipping it near the top and bottom of the wiper-blade-hinge (that you use to move the wiper to clean the window.) pull on the top-edge till it 1/2 pops off, then keeping the top popped off, pop off the bottom -- this will allow the wiper-motor cover to swivle out of the way.
2) you will then see the black nozzle housing and the silver nozzle pointing up. i used a cloth over the housing and some needle nose pliers to pull it out. once out, TONS of white crystally-goo came out of both sides. i then soaked the nozzle housing/nozzle in hot water, and ran the rear wiper-sprayer to clean that hose.
3) push the nozzle back in, trying to align it as straight up as possible. as you can imagine, it's VERY hard to get it perfectly straight, so you have to test it a few times and make adjustments. pop the cover back over the motor, pull the blade out from the window, then test the sprayer. i had to pop off the wiper-motor cover a few times and make very small adjustment turns on the nozzle until it was spraying straight up (which i aligned the spray on the window with the antenna)

· Registered
68 Posts

I tried the hot water, the needle, nothing fixed it. At 5000 miles they can tackle it, and change my oil and rotate the tires. By then it will be too cold to do in the driveway anyway. Both lazy and easy I am today.
DZ

· Registered
MK4 R32 DBP
1,807 Posts
Re: Rear Wiper washer no workie :( - worked once and never again.. any insight guys? (DZ)

Quote, originally posted by DZ »
I tried the hot water, the needle, nothing fixed it. At 5000 miles they can tackle it, and change my oil and rotate the tires. By then it will be too cold to do in the driveway anyway. Both lazy and easy I am today.
DZ

try swinging the motor-cover out of the way, then pulling the nozzle end out with some needle nose pliers. run the rear wiper to clear the line; soak the nozzle in really hot water, blow the debis out then put it back on and align it to center with the antenna.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.