VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here. I recently became the proud owner of a 2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI which is also the first car that's my own. While it has a touchscreen radio (I believe RCD510 - see photo) with Bluetooth for both media and calls (and even Sirius which I haven't tried), it does not have navigation or a rearview camera. While I am planning on using my phone (on a holder) for navigation anyway, I really want to get a backup camera for convenience and safety. I was initially planning on getting one of those aftermarket "wireless" products where the screen attaches to the dash/windshield with suction cups. However, when I realized that it is (technically) possible to integrate the camera to the in-dash radio screen, I was intrigued because the less clutter the better. Unfortunately it sounds like the 2012 RCD510 radio is not compatible with a camera input, so I would have to replace it with either a newer RCD510, or an RNS315 or RNS510 (the latter would probably be the nicest as it includes navi and is still a good size display).

I do not have the technical experience to do the install myself like in this post, and am wondering how feasible and costly it would be to find and order all the necessary parts (radio, camera, video cable, harness) and have them installed by someone who knows what they're doing. Or if I should just go with an easier/cheaper aftermarket option. So a few specific questions:

1) Are my above assumptions correct about needing to replace my current radio with either a newer RCD510, an RNS315 or RNS510 if I want to integrate it with a camera?
2) If I install a camera-compatible OEM radio, could I still wire it to a third-party backup camera or does it also need to be the OEM camera within the hatch handle?
3) How much might the installation (labor only) cost for installing the radio and camera vs just the camera (which needs to be wired to the rear light anyway)? I live in Massachusetts.
4) Lastly, if you do not recommend going the full OEM route for me, is there a good aftermarket in-dash screen that you can recommend which integrates well with the steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, car microphone and speakers etc and looks good with the VW interior?

Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
'11 GOV (AJ) TDI 6MT
330 Posts
First: Do you know whether your RCD-510 has the RVC port ? Pulling it out of the dash to examine the rear panel is not too difficult (no special tools required), and you shouldn't need to remove any existing connectors.

I did a similar set of modifications in a (new-to-us) 2011 JSW that had the older Premium 8 (RCD-510) system originally.
Some of it is posted here, some not.

I started by finding a clean/working RNS-315 from a recycler in Pittsburgh (PA) for $90, shipped, since we wanted integrated navigation.
I needed to get the security code from a European vendor via eBay for under $10.
I used the Foxwell NT-510 tool to code the RNS-315 to the car.
Since the wagen didn't have a GPS aerial, I used a small GPS antenna found on Amazon under the dash. This worked OK, but threw an "open GPS antenna" DTC during fault code scans; more on that later.

Next up was the RVC, which is in the rear lid handle. For this, I found an "OE" (China market) handle and wiring harness from an eBay seller like this one: Rear Camera Harness Cable Set for VW RCD510 RNS510 Golf Tiguan Passat 56D827566A | eBay
Delivery was quick at the time (15 days from China).
Installing this (properly) was an all-day job, since most of the left side trim panels needed to come off to route the video cable and power wire. The hardest part of the job was pulling the video cable connector (lid end) through the left side rubber boot between the roof and lid; if I were do to this again on another JSW, I'd pull this cable through first before pulling the power, trigger, and ground wires through. Coding is required to activate the RVC (low) on the RNS-315 unit.

The last part of this project was replacing the sat radio-only roof aerial with a roof aerial that supports both GPS and sat radio (VAG PN 3C0-035-507-AB); I managed to find one of these on eBay from another auto salvage place last year for a fair price. To make this work, though, I needed a 5 m blue FAKRA cable (wtih a right angle connector on the nav unit end); I found this on eBay from a seller in China for a fair price (e.g., GPS Antenna Extension Cable Fakra "C" Jack to Female pigtail cable RG174 5meters | eBay). The hard part about this part of the project was removing trim panels on the right/passenger side to route the GPS cable from the aerial to the nav unit (it turns out that 5 m is just long enough). Once done, though, the "open GPS antenna" DTC went away for good. See my post about this mod HERE.

A side project in all of this was to update the navigation data on the RNS-315 to the most recent version (V10 2018). The list price from here.navigation.com is $124+, but can be found from eBay sellers for much less.

Personally, I prefer the integration afforded by the RNS-315; for older tech, it all works surprisingly well, IMO, given its age.

Reactions: jswguy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the camera and harness. Hmu if interested.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Hi Hsproyaya - thank you for the offer. I am interested but unable to send you a private message because of my low post count. If you can PM me (I'm not sure if you can), could you send me your contact info and I'll get in touch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First: Do you know whether your RCD-510 has the RVC port ? Pulling it out of the dash to examine the rear panel is not too difficult (no special tools required), and you shouldn't need to remove any existing connectors.

I did a similar set of modifications in a (new-to-us) 2011 JSW that had the older Premium 8 (RCD-510) system originally.
Some of it is posted here, some not.

I started by finding a clean/working RNS-315 from a recycler in Pittsburgh (PA) for $90, shipped, since we wanted integrated navigation.
I needed to get the security code from a European vendor via eBay for under $10.
I used the Foxwell NT-510 tool to code the RNS-315 to the car.
Since the wagen didn't have a GPS aerial, I used a small GPS antenna found on Amazon under the dash. This worked OK, but threw an "open GPS antenna" DTC during fault code scans; more on that later.

Next up was the RVC, which is in the rear lid handle. For this, I found an "OE" (China market) handle and wiring harness from an eBay seller like this one: Rear Camera Harness Cable Set for VW RCD510 RNS510 Golf Tiguan Passat 56D827566A | eBay
Delivery was quick at the time (15 days from China).
Installing this (properly) was an all-day job, since most of the left side trim panels needed to come off to route the video cable and power wire. The hardest part of the job was pulling the video cable connector (lid end) through the left side rubber boot between the roof and lid; if I were do to this again on another JSW, I'd pull this cable through first before pulling the power, trigger, and ground wires through. Coding is required to activate the RVC (low) on the RNS-315 unit.

The last part of this project was replacing the sat radio-only roof aerial with a roof aerial that supports both GPS and sat radio (VAG PN 3C0-035-507-AB); I managed to find one of these on eBay from another auto salvage place last year for a fair price. To make this work, though, I needed a 5 m blue FAKRA cable (wtih a right angle connector on the nav unit end); I found this on eBay from a seller in China for a fair price (e.g., GPS Antenna Extension Cable Fakra "C" Jack to Female pigtail cable RG174 5meters | eBay). The hard part about this part of the project was removing trim panels on the right/passenger side to route the GPS cable from the aerial to the nav unit (it turns out that 5 m is just long enough). Once done, though, the "open GPS antenna" DTC went away for good. See my post about this mod HERE.

A side project in all of this was to update the navigation data on the RNS-315 to the most recent version (V10 2018). The list price from here.navigation.com is $124+, but can be found from eBay sellers for much less.

Personally, I prefer the integration afforded by the RNS-315; for older tech, it all works surprisingly well, IMO, given its age.
DrGERTol - also wanted to extend a late thanks to you for the long post explaining your process. I was convinced by earlier threads that my radio is too old to have the RVC port, so I ended up ordering a newer version of the RCD510 (part no 1K0035188F, in this case from a 2015 Passat) along with the "OEM" camera and harness from China that you mentioned. I was looking at the RNS315 but seeing what you went through with the antenna etc, decided to forgo the navigation since I use my phone for that anyway, and I'm already so used to the RCD510 screen and interface that I have on my current model. Now I just have to find someone in the Boston area to install them.

Regarding the radio install/programming, can you clarify what you meant by the "security code"? My RCD510 from eBay came with a 4-digit code - is that it? As for the coding, would a car electronics shop that routinely installs backup cameras and radios have what is needed to do the coding/programming for a VW JSW?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
'11 GOV (AJ) TDI 6MT
330 Posts
@jswguy : The four digit security code is used when the RCD510 is first "introduced" to your JSW; after that, you should be able to remove the radio from the wire harness & reconnect and remove power completely (say, by removing the starter battery) without having to re-enter the security code (still, good to keep it handy).

Radio/module coding, on the other hand, requires VAG-specific diagnostic tools (e.g., Ross-Tech VCDS, OBDeleven, and a handful of special-purpose handheld "scanners"). It's more likely that a good indy repair shop that does VAG cars would be able to do this for you without too much trouble. The radio will be programmed/coded by setting various data bits on/off; programs like VCDS have extensive mapping files that help explain what the various data bits do (e.g., flag that a rear view camera (low) is connected to the radio and its functionality should be enabled). More info HERE.

HTH --g

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@DrGERTol - thanks again. Happy to report that I finally got the radio and backup camera installed. At first I took it to GeekSquad at a local BestBuy - they swapped out the radio and briefly tested the camera (without routing through the whole car) only to tell me that they couldn't establish connection because they lack the VAG programming tool. Although it's nice they didn't charge me anything, they were wrong about the programming. When I took it to a proper car electronics/audio shop, they were able to hook it up without having to program anything, because the radio came from a Passat SEL and was already programmed for a camera. I printed out the instructions from this post which they actually followed very closely (and kept for future use, lol). If anyone in the Boston area is looking to do this, I can recommend Boomer Boston who did it for $250 (although they kept me waiting 2h after closing time despite having dropped off first thing in the morning).

A couple days out, the camera seems to be working pretty well. The image quality is clear. The yellow dynamic motion lines do not move as you turn which is not a big deal (they told me that function didn't come until a few years later). Sometimes when I put it into reverse, the image doesn't come on and I have to go to P and R again (says camera not available or something). Another minor annoyance is that the camera image isn't fullscreen as it has something on the bottom and on the right (see attached image). Not sure if there's a way to change this?

Now, I'm looking to sell my old RCD510 and was wondering about the code when I saw this post from 2009 saying that it is on a sticker near the spare wheel. Indeed there is a 4-digit code there, but can anyone with a post-2009 car confirm that the 8005 in the attached photo is in fact the radio code? The dealer told me they would charge $165 to get the code, which is absurd and exceeds the market value of the radio. Finally, if anyone has recommendations on where to sell the radio besides this forum and eBay, please let me know.

Car Satellite radio Motor vehicle Automotive design Radio
Font Number Temperature Cemetery Commemorative plaque

·
Registered
'11 GOV (AJ) TDI 6MT
330 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts