VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, quality control has been an issue.
However, how can you control quality, when you are using cheap window clips and other parts that will only break.
Most things are put together fine, so quality control can ensure that vehicles are not leaving with problems.
The problems are some of the cheap parts they decided to go with in the first place...and that move is costing them more then they saved on cheap parts.
Second, dealer service centers. Isolating and fixing the problem right the first time. How many of you have been in more then once or twice for the same problem. Sometimes it is not that there is a problem with the car, but a problem with knowing what the problem accutually is and how to fix it right the first time. Then again, if you fix a faulty part with another fautly part(cheap parts), then you will have the same problem... Coil packs anyone.
Customer Service...whose had it good? Whose had it Bad?
Stale product...yeah, its always good to wait 6 years before bringing a new body style into an already competive market. Freshin' up models will only do so much people.
Other Manufacturerer pricing. Like American companies who price their cars up(from what it seems) just to discount them down. Guess what, you take $5000 off an American car, it still ain't worth anywhere near that. Volkswagens are worth closer to the value of their actual worth then most cars manufactured. I saw a brand new SAAB for $9,000 off its original MSRP (Including all tax and Tags). Geez, how much mark up is in the darn thing.
Stupid Consumers: Many problems arise because you don't do the required maintenace, or wait to long to do it. I know your not all to blame, and probably no one on this fourm, but who waits to change there oil until 9,000 mile intervals (3 times), and then complain about a bad transmission...STUPID!

I love VW...have had 4 of them, beaten the heck out of everyone of them...no problems. I must just be one of the lucky ones. Vdubs are more fun to dirve, safer, and a better bang for the buck.
What else, anyone? Trying to understand it all

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Re: Reasons VW has Problems...What are your reasons? (vwbocchino)

A good friend of mine works at a VW dealership. So, aside from consumers complaints we all hear on here, I have seen the other side as well...and it ain't pretty.
Example: a 1.8T Passat owner came in because his car "wasn't running well at all anymore". It was 6 months past warranty. As it turns out, the oil has not been changed in couple of years(maybe more if I don't remember correctly!), it turned into coffeemaker sludge, the turbo blew, the seals blew etc. He said his oil light was on for few months but he didn't think anything of it!

The dealership warrantied his engine!!! They installed it brand new free of charge!
I know there are quality issues, but people always look at things one sided.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Reasons VW has Problems...What are your reasons? (Batan)

Yes, they do.
Negative news always travels faster...human nature I guess.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Wow! Positive things about VWs and servicing - communication is the key to fixing a lot of the problems. We don't allways spend enough time listening to the customers concerns, and sometimes the customer is in too big of a hurry to ride with someone or to give a good explaination about a concern. We need to work together to solve some of these problems - and we appreciate the help!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Reasons VW has Problems...What are your reasons? (SERVICEMANGLER)

We can stick together...or die together...so, let's all please stick together and make it through till we get all the neat, new stuff in 05!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
385 Posts

I am very happy with my R32 - I've had it since January - have allmost 6000 miles on it, and have had 2 things go wrong - neither caused the car to go down or leave me stranded. I had the items fixed, and have had the 5k service done as well!

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Re: Reasons VW has Problems...What are your reasons? (SERVICEMANGLER)

Here's why I think VW is having problems. Other than the Phaeton and Touareg (which are planned low sellers anyway), no new product.
It takes VW FOREVER to get new models out. And that's always when they seem to have trouble.
Sure, they have quality issues, and dealer service issues, but that didn't keep people from buying New Beetles / Jettas / Golfs / GTIs from 1998 - 2002 or so. Sales were doing great. But, now things are starting to show their age.
You can't pick up any magazine without reading an article about the aging MKIV platform.
When other manufacturers can completely redesign their models every 4-5 years, it's sad to see VW often take 7-8 years to get theirs out.
While the MKIVs were hot in the late '90s, they're old news now. They can't compete. You can get a car with better reliability, better engines, faster, nicer features, all new design, etc., and for cheaper than what they're charging for a VW on an "aging platform".
VW needs to really focus on these cars, as it's what VW sells the most of. Sure, I can see a marget for the Touareg and the Phaeton, and have no problem with these models.
I just look at Nissan, Mazda, Chevy, etc., and see how many models they've released in the last year alone, and with great success, and great reliability. And here we are with cars on an 7 year old platform, that still have quality issues, and VW cannot get the new MKVs here for another 1-2 years.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts

I think the original post was right on:
Too much manufacturer beating up on designers and suppliers of minor components to get price parts down, without ensuring adequate reliability. ("Reliability" is different from "quality control". "Quality control" means every car leaves the factory with a MAF sensor. "Reliability" means that MAF sensor still works after 5 or 10 years!)
Not enough recognition of feedback from dealers and mechanics of potential design/manufacturing problems, not enough action taken to correct these faults. "Ve have made ze perfect machine ... All problems are because of the customer ..." this attitude isn't favorable to getting problems solved.
Poor attitude towards customer service at some dealers. Make you pay for a diagnostic to see if there's a warranty problem, and then try to weasel out of it by blaming fuel, driving habits, modifications, etc.? WRONG ...
Poor feedback to dealers on how to fix common problems. Some dealers are not in the clear here ... a lot of them ignore what the factory tells them (e.g. 505.01 oil on 2004 TDI vehicles).
Ignorant, negligent, "cheap", and/or bad-attitude customers are a bigger problem than one would think. A poorly-maintained vehicle will never be reliable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Reasons VW has Problems...What are your reasons? (GoFaster)

I must confess my sin. I'm not really a german car lover so to speak. But I'm working on it. I really am. I've recently come to own a mk 5 polo because i found it at a ridiculously low price and with absolutely nothing wrong with it.
I don't think that having old platforms is much of a problem. It is, but not the main problem. You see in this respect things could be much worse. Take Peugeot for example (my last car was a 106 rallye). The rallye is still being sold and the chassis is around 12 years old. The reason it sells is that it's such a great car for people the enjoy driving and that it's really cheap. I doubt the 107 Rallye (if there's going to be one) will be as good. Peugeot also take ages to release new platforms as do most European companies. So that can't be the reason for the crisis in VW.
Just to give my input into what I think is wrong with VW. I think the fact that they aren' exactly VW anymore but more...VAG Group. They pay a lot more attention to Seat, Skoda, Audi...Lamborghini and I think that VW has been neglected. Why buy a Lupo when I can get an Arosa? Why buy a Polo when I can get a Fabia? In the lower car categories the only reason to buy VW is the quality. And that's not something everybody is going to pay 2-4000 extra Euros for. Especially if they are the sort of person that sees cars as "a way to get from home to work and back". In the higher categories, why buy VW when you can buy an Audi? Same quality, same car...Audi's got a more luxurious name.
So I think it's a matter of the mother company having neglected herself to breast feed her babies.
Also, you must remember that in Europe, people don't only want a car that will kick butt on a drag strip but they want a car that handles too. And let's face it, VW's aren't that crash hot when it comes to this.
The analogy would have to be FIAT. Even though they've had economic problems as FIAT (due to problems within the family that owns FIAT) you see that the car companies they own are doing great sales. Why? I think because each company retains it's character. Alfa Romeo is the sporty car, FIAT the family car, Ferrari the super car, Maseratti the luxury car etc. And they are pretty much free to develop their own cars.
VAG group? One platform, one engine, 7 cars. Ok, it's good from a strictly "keeping costs down" point of view, but apart from that....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts