VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the outer right CV boot and I should have marked the parts before disassembling. The ball separator is slightly non-symmetric: the side that faces the wheel is different from the side that faces the differential, yet the separator seems to fit either way.

Does anybody know how to orient the separator or can point me to a good picture of the CV on a Passat?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question was not well written. I wanted to know if the chamfer shown in the picture should face the shaft or the wheel. (It's for the outer passenger-side CV joint.) The opposite face of the cage does not have a chamfer.
I have the impression that most people assume, like I did, that it will only reassemble one way. I have seen pictures on the net showing it both ways and I still don't have a definitive answer. If you change your boots too, remember to mark all parts so that you can reassemble in the same position.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The orientation of the hub is logical: a chamfer in the hub splines is necessary because for reassembly the hub must ride over a retaining ring. However, I can't see the purpose of the chamfer in the cage.
Thanks, Najel!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.