VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a G60 head on the weekend. My plan is to rebuild it and port it. I'll also be throwing on a new exhaust manifold (thanks Frank), and an Audi intake manifold. I'll probably do a big cam (270+) and high rev springs.
Other then the obvious task of port matching my head to the 2 manifolds. What else should i be doing? Any other porting that should be done? A couple of people have mentioned something about 7mm valve guides. I'm guessing that these allow me to do more porting around the valves. What else should i do?
thanks in advance
Scott.

· Registered
10,715 Posts
Re: Rebuilding a G60 head, and doing it right. (TBT-PassatG60)

Toy can swap out the valves/valveguides/valve stem seals for the ones from a crossflow head - they're narrower (7mm as opposed to 8mm), which helps flow and gives you more room to port. There's lots of potential for removing material if you're careful.
If I was doing a home rebuild, these would be my minimum steps:
1) new lifters
2) new stem seals
3) clean everything, get a shop to deck the head
4) lap the valves
5) port match intake and exhaust ports
Unless things are in bad shape, you can re-use the valves, springs, retainers, etc.
-Nate

· Registered
105 Posts
Re: Rebuilding a G60 head, and doing it right. (SaabFan)

anyone know of a good resource [online, hardcopy, etc] about rebuilding heads, blocks.. vw engines in general? very interesting topic.. i have the motivation but lack the know-how
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
658 Posts
Re: Rebuilding a G60 head, and doing it right. (gambitg60)

The book I used is call ed how to blueprint and balance your four cylinder shortblock for high performance. It's one of some engine builders series, found at the local bookstore

· Registered
49 Posts
Re: Rebuilding a G60 head, and doing it right. (smoked_g60)

hey, i searched amazon for titles with "how to blueprint and balance your four cylinder short block for high performance" but came up empty.
how about an author or ISBN number.
thx,
protofab

· Registered
105 Posts
Re: Rebuilding a G60 head, and doing it right. (protofab)

yeah.. more help with books would be greatly appreciated!
i'm always hearing about people rebuilding their engines, but where do they get this knowledge from?? i know it can't be straight out of a book but i'm looking for a good place to start. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.