VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much wold it be for new rings berings and gaskits to rebulild my 2.0 16v
aso what parts do i need to do it i need to know allthe gaskits berings suff like that?
sorry about the missing letters this keybord sux

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Rebulding engine on tha cheap!!!!! (Clownracer v2)

Total parts is only 50-100 bucks depending on where you get em from. Start off by spending the 35 bucks on a Bentley, and read the entire procedure. This will let you know how much you're biting off (it's about the most involved repair people will attempt on a car, but really it's not THAT bad), and let you know all the parts you need. You can get complete gasket kits which ensures you don't forget one (try calling/emailing Pottermans at parts4vws.com).

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: Rebulding engine on tha cheap!!!!! (negativl)

Since you're on the east coast, try Adirondack Auto Brokers Their prices are cheap for OEM parts and shipping won't be much at all to you.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Rebulding engine on tha cheap!!!!! (1987&2001Jettas)

good point, hadn't meant to deny Adirondack either, they have good prices and a faithful customer base here.
BTW, the $50-100 I mentioned is just the routine stuff of course. It can go higher if it turns out you dinged a piston and need a new one, or if you've got a warped head that needs machining, etc... But the wear and tear items are cheap.

·
Banned
4,337 Posts

and then of course you don't know if any of that stuff's buggered until you pull it all apart? I've been thinking about doing this just for the hell of it since there's some miles on the car and I wanna make it into the best running machine I can

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Re: Rebulding engine on tha cheap!!!!! (Clownracer v2)

I just had a 2.0L 16v block rebuilt..............
From Adirondack:
$324.60 + shipping
(I can list everything I bought from them if you guys are interested....just don't feel like it right now)
I also shelled out some $$ to the machine shop obviously.....but price will depend where you go.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Rebulding engine on tha cheap!!!!! (Veedubgli)

the engine isn't THAT much of a black box. You should generally have some idea of what it'll need based on how it's running. You should know if you've banged the pistons and valves together (only the 16v are interference design though, generally from a timing belt breakage). The crank or its bearings will generally have made their problems known via noises. If the engine is running fine, there's no reason to tear it apart. Just make sure you're up on replacing consumables (expecially that timing belt).

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

yea im rebuilding it as a school project i really dont know how it ra because i bought the 2.0l bottom end from someone i have a nice 1.8l head im throwing on there its getting sent out to b flowed p&pd also have some 288 cams goin in there
bottom end will have everything but the pistons an oil pump replaced i talked to mark at Adirondack Auto Brokers (www.germanautoparts.com)he talked me thru what i would need it came out to about 400 not bad real nice guy so ill let everyone know how it goes and ill take some ics for everyonewhos interested

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.