1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fault codes:
17972 Throttle actuator under voltage during basic setting - Intermittent
17978 Engine start blocked by imobilizer - Intermittent
The car has 8k miles on it. What's up? What should I be most concerned with (in regards to the car cutting off after it starts. I have
to keep restarting (4x) and giving gas before it keeps idling).
I'm new to VW so please forgive so many questions. Thx.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Re: Recall my issue with car cutting off? Here is what VAG-COM displayed.. (BobbyJ)

Do you have a Exxon Speed pass on your keyring? Or any other kind of device on the key ring that is used as some sort of "security key" of ANY kind? Or even another VW key on the key chain?
The "17978 Engine start blocked by imobilizer - Intermittent" is your car saying, "Hey, this key isn't a good key, so I'm shutting the engine off". If the reader coil is picking up "noise" from other devices it will screw with the immobilizer system.
Some other things that cause this is poor electrical contact on pins #2 and #17 of the wiring harness in the blue plug on the back of the instrument cluster. Or a failing reader coil around the ignition switch. And of course a key that has had some sort of temperute stress (really hot or cold).
The other, while I'm to lazy to boot up VESIS, basically sounds like it had a weak battery at some point. I don't think that would cause the start up and die engine problem... the immobilizer one sure will.
Hope this is of help.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Recall my issue with car cutting off? Here is what VAG-COM displayed.. (penclnck)

I carry a cell phone and the wife's Durango key fob. The car is 03 with
8000 miles on it. I would think the battery should be good but I'll check it too. I'll experiment with not locking it by remote, just pressing
door lock and closing to see if it makes any difference. Thx.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts