VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get a notice from Volkswagen of Amercia, inc. If so have you had it done yet? Below is a quote from there letter!
Problem Description: If the rear tire of the passenger side of the vehicle is severely under-inflated or has lost all air, and the vehicle is operated at highway speeds, the affected tire may quickly overheat leading to its disintegration after several miles of driving. We have found that fragments of a disintegrated tire rotating at high speed could damage the wheel well liner of the vehicle and other nearby components, as well as the nearby filler neck, which is an integral part of the fuel tank. Damage to the filler neck could cause a fuel leak with risk of fire from external ignition sources.

· Registered
188 Posts
Re: RECALL WK 1997-1999 JETTA, 1998-2003 PASSAT, 1998 CABRIO VEHICLES (Mantis_22)

well
i had it done
but
im not sure but i think it looks like if u lowered ur car....the back of your caliper would hit the shield...where your ebrake cable mounts to, cuz my shocks are shot and mine rubs like a SOB
so idk?
personally, screw it, im takin mine off sometime this week i think?

· Registered
139 Posts
Re: RECALL WK 1997-1999 JETTA, 1998-2003 PASSAT, 1998 CABRIO VEHICLES (Mantis_22)

Well now they tell me - had that tire blow out on the 101 about two years ago. Is this a persistent design problem that somehow effects any tire on that wheel? I didnt have any damage, luckily, and I was exiting the freeway at the time. whew.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: RECALL WK 1997-1999 JETTA, 1998-2003 PASSAT, 1998 CABRIO VEHICLES (wickvr6)

Ok just called the Dealership and I advise I had a lowered car and rubbing of the caliper with this recall installed. They said that it should be no problem. My car has front Koni adjustables and rear AVO coilovers.
I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I will follow up with pics if possible and see if it rubs. If it does then I will take the **** off.

· Banned
12,722 Posts

I have received this 3 times now.
my jetta passat sedan and wagon all fall into it.
Fortunately/ unfortunately, I don't have any of the them

· Registered
South Florida
9,104 Posts

It really has nothing to do with tires, or brand of tires, it has to do with idiot proofing your car. If you get a blow out on your car you pull over right, or if you have a flat you pull over right? This fix is for the idiots that continue to drive on the tire, while it's flat, for miles. This causes the tire to over heat and self destruct, sending bits of pieces of tire flying around the wheel well. One of these pieces can pierce the fuel filler pipe causing a leak and fire. If you plan on driving on a blown out tire for miles than you should get this done. I'm not letting the dealer near my car, I plan on pulling over when my tire blows out or has a flat.

· Registered
36,015 Posts
Re: RECALL WK 1997-1999 JETTA, 1998-2003 PASSAT, 1998 CABRIO VEHICLES (vwbrvr6)

Quote, originally posted by vwbrvr6 »
It really has nothing to do with tires, or brand of tires, it has to do with idiot proofing your car. If you get a blow out on your car you pull over right, or if you have a flat you pull over right? This fix is for the idiots that continue to drive on the tire, while it's flat, for miles. This causes the tire to over heat and self destruct, sending bits of pieces of tire flying around the wheel well. One of these pieces can pierce the fuel filler pipe causing a leak and fire. If you plan on driving on a blown out tire for miles than you should get this done. I'm not letting the dealer near my car, I plan on pulling over when my tire blows out or has a flat.

Good point!!

· Registered
238 Posts
This recall is pretty worthless and has been nothing but a pain for me. I got the notice about three weeks ago and I took my Jetta to the dealer to get it fixed. No problem at first until after a day or two I notice it rubs every time I go over a speed bump or have something heavy in the truck or car. When I went to do a brake job on the rears last weekend I noticed a giant scratch on the new plate from where the rubbing had been occuring. So I took it back to the dealer to get it fixed. The problem stemed from an earlier recall that happened before I got the car. Apparently a while back a recall was issued and a dampener was place on the inside of the wheel and brake caliper to reduce noise. The damper extened itself 2 inches into the wheel well and was rubbing up against the new plate. So the dampener was taken off. I noticed no new noise. And now I'm annoyed at Volkswagen for issuing a recall that conflicts with an earlier recall. Have fun everyone

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well I got this recall installed and no rub or anything. I have to take the tire off to inspect closer. But so far so good.
They installed a plate to coverthe filler tube. I did notice some rub over a big bump the other day but I hardly go over those anyways. If I continue to rub I am taking it off or go back to the dealer to see what they can do.

· Registered
21,982 Posts

My girlfriends jsut got hers put on the other day...stupid dealer left a 10mm socket and extension on the lower bolt. But it looks like it doesnt rub and there is clearance on her car with the Moda wheels she got.

· Registered
938 Posts

I got my wife's 97 installed, just a thin piece of plastic shield there. I don't think it would rub.
I just don't see what the different bwtween 97 and 96 earlier.. they all got the filler neck there???

· Registered
201 Posts

Next thing you know the will have a recall that say's "If you drive 50 Miles with the Gas gauge on "E" and the light on you car will stall in the middle of the freeway and you could be rear ended" !
Anyone that drives with underinflated tires for miles at highway speeds or drives with a blow out for miles at highway speeds, needs their car to blow up!!! Thinning the herd !! Fifteen years ago when I got my first Dub (86' GTI 8V) I thought that only intelligent people could see the quality and reliability of a VW it now appears that any moron can own one and VW is now stuck with footing the bill for their ignorance.
It's like McDonald's paying over 1 Million Dollars to a woman not smart enough to know that it is not a good idea to drive your car with a scalding hot cup of coffee wedged in your crotch!!
Get real people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.