VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been really wanting to go stage II for awhile but none of the exhaust systems out there seemed to meet my criteria for fitment, looks or sound. I prefer a quiet exhaust and the stock note sounds pretty darn good to me. I also didn't want to lose any low-end power, and from user comments, it seemed as if there were certain exhausts / downpipes / combinations that I should stay away from.
Since I wanted to bolt up to the stock exhaust, I really only had two "bolt-on" options . . . . the AWE DP or the ATP test pipe. Seeing as how I'll be moving back to California in the next year, I wanted something that could easily pass emissions, therefore necessitating a cat. My options were either the AWE DP with the 200 cell HJS cat or the ATP turbo test pipe with a custom 3" magnaflow metal cat. Knowing the HJS cat's impeccable history, I opted for the more expensive option.
I purchased the downpipe from [email protected] and it arrived from AWE within two days. Thanks Mike! . . . my shopping experiences with Mike have always been top notch, and his services and prices are hard to beat.
I also chose this downpipe after talking to [email protected], who gave me prompt, professional answers to my questions and gave a strong sense of pride in his product. Kudos to Todd.
Anyways, upon coming home today, I was greeted by this:

Having had bad experiences with poor packaging, the AWE downpipe was packaged beautifully in an oversized box with form-fitting foam blocks:

What impresses me most about this DP is that the internal welds are done perfectly . . . . look at the seamless welds on the inside of the DP coming off of the turbo:

The external welds are done pretty nicely as well:

HJS baller cat (with 200 cell metal substrate Emitec core):

3 Pieces of the system:

Two-pronged mounting system (some DPs have issues with it working correctly*cough*milltek*cough*):

And the clamps, instructions, and new factory turbo-dp gasket that come with the kit:

Won't be putting it on yet, as I'm sending it out to have something done to it first

Dave
Update: 11/16/06
Got the front piece back from the ceramic coater today. I should note that none of the slip joints fit together and that I had to use a pipe expander from Autozone to get the pieces properly round.

Modified by crew217 at 2:07 PM 11/16/2006

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have a question...
Why does AWE include a sucker?
I got one with my boost guage too...and was wondering I was supposed to look deeper into the meaning of receiving a "sucker"...

Nice exhaust though, I might be going with this now too.
Dave, hurry up and put it on and post some sound files and numbers

Modified by justdanorm at 3:52 PM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (justdanorm)

Quote, originally posted by justdanorm »
I have a question...
Why does AWE include a sucker?
I got one with my boost guage too...and was wondering I was supposed to look deeper into the meaning of receiving a "sucker"... :lol:
Nice exhaust though, I might be going with this now too.
Dave, hurry up and put it on and post some sound files and numbers

It's actually a blow pop . . . . so I was thinking that it was a hidden message to "go blow myself"

It'll probably go on in "two weeks"

But yeah, seriously . . . . not for another two weeks.
Dave

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Re: (crew217)

Quote, originally posted by crew217 »
It's actually a blow pop . . . . so I was thinking that it was a hidden message to "go blow myself"

It'll probably go on in "two weeks"

But yeah, seriously . . . . not for another two weeks.
Dave

hah, yeah, mine had a green wrapper too...
Maybe someone from AWE can answer it, and not let us assume any of the two above guesses

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Congrats Dave

I noticed one of your criteria was that it not be too loud. I have the same setup you just purchased and with the exception of cruising highway speed, this system is quite a bit louder than stock. Sound is very subjective, and while I have grown to love it, my passengers are always wondering why I would have put something so loud on a sweet little luxury car.
Did you get the resonator?
What changes are you going to have done to it before you do the install?
Did you happen to talk to AWE about the possiblility of a retrofit so it can accomodate the dual quad tips?

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Congrats Dave (kayaker10)

Quote, originally posted by kayaker10 »
I noticed one of your criteria was that it not be too loud. I have the same setup you just purchased and with the exception of cruising highway speed, this system is quite a bit louder than stock. Sound is very subjective, and while I have grown to love it, my passengers are always wondering why I would have put something so loud on a sweet little luxury car.
Did you get the resonator?
What changes are you going to have done to it before you do the install?
Did you happen to talk to AWE about the possiblility of a retrofit so it can accomodate the dual quad tips?

I'm using the stock catback. It should be mildly louder than stock.
Dave

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm putting on the downpipe on sometime next week and I am also using the stock catback as well. I do not believe it should be much louder than stock, but I could be wrong.
Will there be compatibility issues with the quad tip exhaust?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: (dhltal)

There will be no compatability issues with the Quad tip.
I have the Quad prototype and it bolts right on to the stock downpipe or either of AWE's downpipes.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Re: Congrats Dave (crew217)

Seems like a well-thought out upgrade.
Quote, originally posted by crew217 »

I'm using the stock catback. It should be mildly louder than stock.
Dave

So AWE feel the stock silencer won't be too restrictive?

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Congrats Dave (3dr A3 3.2)

Quote, originally posted by 3dr A3 3.2 »
Seems like a well-thought out upgrade.
So AWE feel the stock silencer won't be too restrictive?

Thanks Ben.
I personally don't feel that the stock cat-back is too restrictive. The slight gains to be had with mandrel bent piping are small, and most of the gains with the catback are from the removal of the chambered muffler. I read through several posts in which members who have installed catbacks from other companies, claiming that their cars felt slower with the addition of just the catback. I do have a particular cat-back in mind right now for the future, but the company hasn't released it yet. It'll be 2.5" as well and will bolt up perfectly with the stock/AWE downpipe.
Dave

·
Registered
436 Posts
Re: Congrats Dave (crew217)

Congrats on the DP Dave,
I just got the same one and it's great. I had the AWE resonated catback for awhile before getting the 200 Cell DP. (Now I'm thinking about changing everything to accomodate the quad tip). No time to get numbers yet - I look forward to yours.
The volume of the system is actually more than I wanted; hopefully you have better luck considering you are leaving the stock CB. I am currently exploring some options to quiet the system down, but everyone keeps saying: "Nah... man, it sounds good like that" / "Don't worry about it, the louder the better" As if that's supposed to be some sort of opinion-defeating argument.
Anyways, the gain is most definitely noticeable and it is an awesome system. Best of luck. If you have any idea as to how I could reduce the sound output without restricting the flow, some direction would be much appreciated! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Audiggity at 7:31 AM 10/31/2006

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Re: (placenta)

Nice looking DP Dave. I'm looking forward to hearing your review. Are you planning on getting the stage 2 software right away, or run it without for a bit to get a feel for differences in gains?

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (placenta)

Quote, originally posted by placenta »
Hey crew, since you kept your stock catback. How was the install of downpipe only? (If you installed it yet). I am wondering if the cat back has to be removed anyway, to get enough movement to install the downpipe only?

Not installed yet, but AFAIK, the catback doesn't need to be removed.
Dave

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.