VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - not new to VW having owned two Tregs a CC and now an Arteon. Bought it preowned VW Certified with 9k miles. Couple things - really like it. Added APR plus right away. Put on new wheels from Hartmann. I've had it about a month...but now it has a crack between the sunroof and the door. Runs parallel to the windshield. Maybe stressing the chasis right there? Anyone else have this issue? I've heard it has happened on other models, but first I've heard on an Arteon. Dealership is going to fix/replace, but they need it for about a week and they are saying they have to cut out a section of the roof to fix it. Thoughts?
https://adsphoenix-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/p/davek/EVRbZxqbVrFGs7_3DuEwNf4BAHnb9XTgqa4i5Tmh6ileHA?e=h7qzrM

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey guys - not new to VW having owned two Tregs a CC and now an Arteon. Bought it preowned VW Certified with 9k miles. Couple things - really like it. Added APR plus right away. Put on new wheels from Hartmann. I've had it about a month...but now it has a crack between the sunroof and the door. Runs parallel to the windshield. Maybe stressing the chasis right there? Anyone else have this issue? I've heard it has happened on other models, but first I've heard on an Arteon. Dealership is going to fix/replace, but they need it for about a week and they are saying they have to cut out a section of the roof to fix it. Thoughts?
https://adsphoenix-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/p/davek/EVRbZxqbVrFGs7_3DuEwNf4BAHnb9XTgqa4i5Tmh6ileHA?e=h7qzrM
Nice you got an Arteon but I'm sorry that has happened. I havent heard about that but any pics of the crack that they need to replace?

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
a crack between the sunroof and the door. Runs parallel to the windshield. Maybe stressing the chasis right there?
Wait, so a crack at the top of the A-pillar??? A crack in the metal? I assume it is a crack in the "skin" and not the underneath pillar structure itself. How can that structure flex enough to crack the skin? Either it is not related to flexing and there was a defect in the skin metal, or the chassis is somehow defective (bad welds) and actually flexed enough to crack the skin. If the latter, I wouldn't trust any dealer to repair that.

Maybe I should stick to my policy of "no good has ever come from a car sunroof" and stick to the SE trim :laugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP, can you post some pictures of the crack? :what::confused:
Here you go guys. Not sure how to load the pics other than with links. Right behind a pillar. Only thing I can figure is that it was stupid hot here for the last two weeks. Also, she seems to groan (squeek/creak every time I roll into and out of the driveway.

https://adsphoenix-my.sharepoint.co...9Al0klCbnExhABPpgs4FqY6hWFqhfrlI1GCg?e=9fvi4Q

https://adsphoenix-my.sharepoint.co...JLjLjgvDg6EE0BmAcB7uB_hx0PLRa8bHL4Tg?e=9HSrGG

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wait, so a crack at the top of the A-pillar??? A crack in the metal? I assume it is a crack in the "skin" and not the underneath pillar structure itself. How can that structure flex enough to crack the skin? Either it is not related to flexing and there was a defect in the skin metal, or the chassis is somehow defective (bad welds) and actually flexed enough to crack the skin. If the latter, I wouldn't trust any dealer to repair that.

Maybe I should stick to my policy of "no good has ever come from a car sunroof" and stick to the SE trim :laugh:
Finally, someone who gets what I've been saying the whole time! haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here you go guys. Not sure how to load the pics other than with links. Right behind a pillar. Only thing I can figure is that it was stupid hot here for the last two weeks. Also, she seems to groan (squeek/creak every time I roll into and out of the driveway.

https://adsphoenix-my.sharepoint.co...9Al0klCbnExhABPpgs4FqY6hWFqhfrlI1GCg?e=9fvi4Q

https://adsphoenix-my.sharepoint.co...JLjLjgvDg6EE0BmAcB7uB_hx0PLRa8bHL4Tg?e=9HSrGG
@davek1974 This probably doesn't help, but I have zero groans or squeaks going over speed bumps or in and our of driveways. You paid a ton of money for that car and you shouldnt have to put up with that. If you bought it used with 50K, that's another story. VW should fix it or replace it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@davek1974 This probably doesn't help, but I have zero groans or squeaks going over speed bumps or in and our of driveways. You paid a ton of money for that car and you shouldnt have to put up with that. If you bought it used with 50K, that's another story. VW should fix it or replace it.

It is going in on Tuesday under warranty.

Just thought it was weird and curious if this was a widespread issue except for the super smarties that bought the trim w/o sunroof. That said, I like my sunroof and the digital cockpit...and my hindquarters are pleased with the cooling seats :).

·
Registered
577 Posts
It is going in on Tuesday under warranty.

Just thought it was weird and curious if this was a widespread issue except for the super smarties that bought the trim w/o sunroof. That said, I like my sunroof and the digital cockpit...and my hindquarters are pleased with the cooling seats :).
Hey, take no offense from my comment. If you want a sunroof, you get one every time. I've had them in the past, and the reason I stay away is the issues that arise from them (motors burn out, leaks form, etc). But really, sorry to hear your car is cracked. That's definitely weird, and even though it's great the dealer is fixing it, I would take this up with VW America just to make sure if it comes up again that they at the very least dig deeper to find out why it's happening, or just out right replace the car. Hope it's the one and only time!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
That's a strange one I've never heard of, nor seen. I can't say I have any undue groans or creaks, and certainly no crack like that. My car has lived it's entire year in near 100 degree heat and high humidity of south Florida, and I have to negotiate diagonal slopes up and down pulling into my office parking lot and the alley between buildings 5 days a week, 4 times a day...definitely has tested the flex in the chassis' of every car I've owned. I used to get the smallest flex sound out of my Allroad wagon on those slopes after 3-4 years - the Arteon hasn't had any issues with it and no noticeable or audible flex. I hope it's just a fluke, and not some hidden damage to your car from the previous owner that they didn't report.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Starting to become a common problem with the cars equipped with the larger sunroofs.. arteons and tiguans especially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Jetta S, 2018 Passat GT, 2012 Tiguan S
453 Posts
I too don't understand why you'd take a perfectly good roof and cut a hole in it. I do understand some people LOVE them though.

I wish they were not so common, getting anything fairly nice without one is difficult. And then the current trend to make them even bigger....:banghead:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too don't understand why you'd take a perfectly good roof and cut a hole in it. I do understand some people LOVE them though.

I wish they were not so common, getting anything fairly nice without one is difficult. And then the current trend to make them even bigger....:banghead:
I love mine and hate the smaller sunroofs especially like the GLI. My fiance tiguan shes had for 2 years and has like 60k on it. She drives everywhere and has not had any issues. That's the risk you take with anything that isn't basic

·
Registered
112 Posts
Having owned 3 CC’s, Tiguan, and now the Arteon, I’m a member on dozens of forums. The piano black trim is notorious for cracking on each segment I am part of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
We'll add my mom's Arteon to this list! Brand New, delivery last month. About 500 miles on the clock now and notice this yesterday! Have an appointment with the dealer this Friday and hopefully it is covered under warranty
It's a straight line right in the middle!

Sent from my J8170 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.