VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Recently rattle canned my mk1

24K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  tinygiant 
#1 ·
Been slowly working on my cabriolet and finally finished rattle canning it.
Krylon primer
Krylon colormaxx ocean glass blue
2k clear

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel
Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Gadget
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

lighting in the garage isnt good. Car color is what it looks like in the outside picture. Overall really happy and cost me roughly
About $220

Most of that was the 2k clear at $20 a can

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Googles.
Oh.. 2K clear has hardener in it.
That should give a fairly durable finish!
Rattle can jobs are all prep (surface prep and masking).. well painting small areas at a time so you can get enough paint to get a surface film.
I rattle canned my 73 Longbed F100 (one body piece at a time) and nobody believed that I rattle canned in unless I showed them I could dent the plant with my fingernail.
It looks like you did a very good job. [thumbsup]
I doubt anybody would believe you rattle canned that.
2k clear in rattle cans didn't exist back in the late 90s when I painted my truck?

#5 ·
Well color me impressed!!! My rattle can jobs NEVER come out this good. As has been said already, kudos!!!

#6 ·
Thanks. I watched a few videos on youtube about techniques and decided to try it out.

i basically worked trying to catch a reflection and working the paint down the pieces making sure i had a consistent wet look. Seemed to work well to keep any streaking or tiger striping out of it

Last time i painted this car i rolled rustoleum on and wet sanded for what seemed like months. The rustoleum was far too soft and i didnt end up clearing iafter as i did not have a garage at the time.

day i bought it
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

after rolling
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.