VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Re: recieved timing belt warranty letter today (taifighter)

I got that a few weeks ago, read it, and put it in my car pile, so if it ever happens I'll have it to bring to the dealer http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Edit: .klipse mentioned how mods would negate this warranty, but I think that could be argued. A full intake, exhaust, chip, and several other mods have nothing to do with the TB - my dealer told me that I would be covered under my CPO as long as the broken part isn't associated with the modification. I suppose bolt-ons do affect the engine, but you never touch your timing belt with those mods, and they also do not really affect how the timing belt works. The TB deals only with engine speed, and is not related to boost or other performance mods. Regardless of how tuned the engine is, it will still turn the same speeds as the stocker because the block is a virgin OEM assembly. The TB's actual operation would only be affected buy an engine build (non-OE) or a lightened flywheel, because only those would affect engine speeds and stresses. I obviously don't speak for Audi, but them arguing that tuning a stock 1.8T affects the belt life is a cop-out.

Modified by l88m22vette at 2:27 PM 8-4-2008

· Registered
1,372 Posts

Just got mine today. I might hold of on paying for the replacement then. I'm just under 60k, and don't really feel like paying for a new timing belt if I don't have to. I was concerned about it what with all the talk of making sure you get it replaced at 60k. Now I've got a piece of paper saying that Audi will cover it if it goes before 105k and I get the belt inspected at 80k.

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: recieved timing belt warranty letter today (l88m22vette)

well, I can say that when I got my cay, the 48 month warranty was already expired, so I had no reason not to mod my car. Now that they adjusted the warranty, they should cooperate since this is an add on and was not reflected as current conditions when I first purchased the car as its second owner.

· Registered
1,372 Posts
Re: (taifighter)

Yeah, maybe my wording was a little confusing. What I meant was that as long as I meet the terms of the extended warranty (free inspection of system at next scheduled maintenance, and timing belt inspection at 40k and 80k and replacement at 105k) If my engine goes boom before 105k Audi will cover it.
For giggles I asked the service rep at one of the local dealers how much the service was to replace the belt if I were to take care of it now, and he rattled off something like $1100. I'd rather keep that in my pocket for the time being.

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see, that's where I'm confused... the service guy said they'll just check it out, no cost to me.
He said nothing about the scheduled maintenance having to be done in order to get the belt inspected.
I do my own work, hopefully they understand that.

· Registered
1,372 Posts
Re: (storx)

True, if they look at my belt when I take it in, and tell me it needs to be replaced, then I have to replace it at my expense. But if they tell me it's fine and to wait until 80k for another inspection, and it goes, they pay.
I guess that was really my main worry. I've heard about a few people taking their car in for service having the tech tell them it's fine and to wait, and then the belt goes. In that situation they should be responsible in any case but before this you might have to fight them on it.
If they tell me that I need to have it replaced, It just means that I'm right back to where I am now, and I'll go to one of my trusted local shops and have them take care of it. I'm not paying the dealership's labor fees if I don't have to.

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so if they say at 45,000 mine needs replacing wouldn't that be covered since it's before the 105,000 mark?
that's how I read the paper
If I don't replace it after they inspect it and say it needs to be done, then it breaks and ruins my engine, I wonder if I'll be covered. I'm asking this tomorrow at the dealer in person, to try and get the truth and clear up some misconceptions

· Registered
1,372 Posts
Re: (taifighter)

Nope, the "Revised Maintenance Program" ends with a note that states:
Any replacement of the timing belt system, wether required as a result of inspection or at the 105,000 mile intervals mandated in the Revised Maintenance Program, shall be at your expense.
Audi will provide free repair to the timing belt system and associated engine damage related to a timing belt system failure, at any authorized Audi dealership... as long as you are following the Revised Maintenance Schedule.

· Registered
755 Posts
^ well like i said, i'm not saying for SURE, but any dealer can easily single out your mods as the breaking point of your TB and give you BS reason after BS reason.
that's my reasoning of it anyhow

i also got the same TB letter today in fact, but hmm... i already changed my TB at 62k miles at an Audi dealership... but it was an inside job done by my friend who works there and i got the WP + TB installed for a steal ($300 hooked up) soo.. i dont have any papers to prove it =\

· Registered
21 Posts

This would have been nice to know last month when I got my TB replaced. The dealership took me for $2,200, but then again I guess I did it to myself by taking it to them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.