VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a question, sounds dumb but a question anyway, my carbon fiber hood is starting to cloud cause moisture got under the clear coat cause of my hood pins, can i sand off the clear coat and reclear the hood and it look the same or not? And if i could i was thinkin of adding metal flake to the clear coat, would that be a problem? Thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Reclear coating carbon fiber hood (UntouchableGTI)

Question, are you sure the clouding is in the clear coat or is in the epoxy/carbon of the hood? I ask since I've typically seen the later to be the case.
A friend is having the rear wing of his EVO VIII replaced because the factory did a crap job of sealing the edges. As a result, the carbon fabric 'wicked' moisture and started to cloud the epoxy and also delaminate. Similarly, I've had the same experience with carbon fiber rowing shells where the owner thought they 'dinged or scratched' only the clearcoat but in reality they were through to the fiber and it wicked in water which clouded the epoxy and eventually delaminated the prepreg.
Tough to say without a picture but I would pull the hood pins to see if there is any exposed carbon that might be wicking in water.

Modified by Donuts at 8:08 AM 8-29-2006

·
Registered
734 Posts
Re: Reclear coating carbon fiber hood (Donuts)

if it is faded or like hazing clear coat that would be like top layers of clear you can scuff it up lightly and respray it...but i agree if its acutally moisture in the fiber layer under the clear theres not much you can do except paint the hood a color. Cause you end up sanding down into the fiber to fix it.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Reclear coating carbon fiber hood (Hokus)

ok so im funked then that sucks, it looks like its between the cabon fiber and the clear coat

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Reclear coating carbon fiber hood (UntouchableGTI)

Quote, originally posted by UntouchableGTI »
ok so im funked then that sucks, it looks like its between the cabon fiber and the clear coat

Sorry to hear that. At the very least, assuming you want to keep it clear, you should use some epoxy try to seal the edges of the holes where the hood pins are at so you don't get anymore water seepage resulting in hazing or delamination.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts