VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not much of a reader but i am trying to read more. Prefer non-fiction (i think), easy to read stuff. interests include cars, bikes, fishing, kayak fishing, drug stories (arti lange type stuff)

Here is what i have read lately (like last 10 years)
-The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs - loved it
-World war Z - good to very good
-The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing World - loved it
-The Da Vinci Code - meh
-Too Fat to Fish - loved it ,but i am a Howard stern fan
-Anthony Bourdain Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly - loved it

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diaries are a couple quick reads that are pretty stellar if you've never read them/only seen the movies.

ninja edit: I guess these are technically fiction, though really its just stretching the truth.:laugh:

·
Banned
29,811 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Every-Man-Dies-Alone-Novel/dp/1935554042 every man dies alone.

Fantastic book loosely based on a true story. I can't believe it hasn't been turned into a movie yet.

Otto and Elise Hampel, a working class couple in Berlin were not interested in politics, but after Elise Hampel learned that her brother (portrayed as a son in the novel) had fallen in France, she and her husband began committing acts of civil disobedience. They began writing leaflets on postcards, urging people to resist and overthrow the Nazis. They wrote hundreds of them, leaving them in apartment stairwells and dropping them into mailboxes. Though they knew the law made this a capital crime, they continued this work for well over a year until they were betrayed and arrested.[1] They were tried by Nazi judge Roland Freisler and executed in Plötzensee Prison.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I've been going through the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child for the past few months. The books suck you in quick and they are page turners. A good read if you are not a big reader as they will keep you interested.

·
Registered
16,228 Posts
I've been going through the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child for the past few months. The books suck you in quick and they are page turners. A good read if you are not a big reader as they will keep you interested.
I read about 8 of them 18 months ago and burned out on them. They're all far too similar to each other.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could try one of these non-fiction books:

H is for Hawk: This one is a New York Times bestseller. Helen Macdonald's father dies suddenly on a London street and she's devastated. In her grief, she sees the goshawk's fierce temperament mirroring her own. This one is a heart-wrenching and humorous one, rolled into one.

Why Do Buses Come in Threes?: The Hidden Maths of Everyday Life: Why is it better to buy a lottery ticket on a Friday? Why are showers always too hot or too cold? These and many other fascinating questions are answered in this entertaining and highly informative book.

Into the Wild: The true story of a young man named Chris McCandless. In 1992, he walked deep into the Alaskan wilderness and four months later, his SOS note and emaciated corpse were found.

Reasons to Stay Alive: 24 year old Matt Haig's world suddenly caves in and he can see no way to go on living. This is the true story of how he came through crisis, triumphed over an illness that almost destroyed him and learned to live again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Might not be your cup of tea because it doesn't have to do with fishing or kayaking, but it is based on real events (so it is a creative non-fiction let's say). Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan.

review here: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/24/half-blood-blues-esi-edugyan-review

It covers the life of some Jazz musicians in Germany on the cusp of WW2 and is incredibly interesting. Believe it or not, Jazz played a really big political role in anti-nazi activism.

But the book is written in dialect, so if that bothers you (it does bother some) then it isn't for you.

Another book that I absolutely loved, and again based on a true story is Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Follows a murder trial from start to finish. Really intense read.

I could go on, but I will stop here. You are missing out on some truly great literature though by not reading fiction.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.
Very readable science based book. Literary classic. If you have a kindle it can be had for free since it's public domain. Genius author's are rarely so easy to read.

Also recommend Darwin's The Voyage of the Beagle. That was an adventure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts