VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT
2,731 Posts
ah nice emerson hd7, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?

·
Registered
966 Posts
ah nice emerson hd7, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?
if you are referring to the post above yours, it is actually a CQC-7B wave. I got it for about $180 at a gun show (impulse buy ftl, but I had to have it). I've seen them online for about $150.00.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT
2,731 Posts
i recently experienced the benchmade 530 pardue design

damn it is light

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
Decided on a Buck Woodsman. Great knife so far. Feels good and looks good too.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Quote, originally posted by 2k3GTI18T »
. I have found that i can draw and open my non-AO knives much quick due to not having to screw around with the safeties.

The majority of the safeties you can remove, or use a allen key and tighten them down.
I have never had any AO knife open up in my pocket. I don't use the safeties because they are a hassle, and just not needed.
+1 to that. I've been carrying Kershaws assisted openers for 8 years haven't had any issues with the newer hard sided models. Some of the early plastic framed models (i.e. Blackout) would open once in a blue moon if you bumped up against something real hard or god forbid dropped them, but I think the flimsier frame had a lot to do with that. The springs they put in the earlier models also seemed to be a lot stronger (also prone to snapping) than the newer ones. Anyway, bottom line is that there's no need for a safety on a modern hard framed Kershaw. Most that I've owned and handled need to be open about 1/4" before the the spring takes over, and before that 1/4" mark they're actually sprung in the opposite direction to help keep it closer.

Anyway, if you haven't already guessed what my recommendation's going to be, I'd say get what ever mid to high quality Kershaw that you like. I personally prefer the feel and action of the Kershaw assisted openers over everything else I've tried. Most (all?) are build in the US, and they have an amazing warranty program. They've been known to ship people back brand new knives when they send in their old beater for sharpening, spring replacement, etc.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
kershaw leek, you can find them for just under $40.00 I just ordered a 2nd one from walmart.com for $38.00 a few days ago

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT
2,731 Posts
how do you carry your knife? tip up or down? i recently picked up a 943 and is thinking about returning it because i'm not used to the tip up carry

·
Registered
23,451 Posts
Tip-up carry knives generally have the blade facing towards the "back" of the pocket, or the side seam of your pants, so that should the blade ever start to open up, it would open between the handle and the pocket. As long as the knife is slid backwards as far as possible, it shouldn't be a problem. Plus, your hand reaching into your pocket would run along the spine of the knife, so your hand won't get injured.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT
2,731 Posts
i'm getting used to carrying tip up, and i now feel like where was I before without tipup carry.

Anyways, I love the Benchmade 943 SBK. s30v steel. aluminum handles. Work with a Benchmade distributor so I got a really good price on it, otherwise I don't think I could have paid so much for a knife

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Does anyone know of a folder that has a built in bottle opener in the handle? I know Gerber, Leatherman and a few others have quasi multi tool/knives that have a fold out opener. I might end up with one of those if I can't find what I'm picturing.

What I'm looking for is something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-2370-Dogfish/dp/B001AQI3JS

Ideally with a 3 in blade instead of 2, and a folder. I like the fact the opener is part of the handle, and not a fold out accessory. If you don't know of any, any experience with either the leathermans or gerbers that have openers?

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
Does anyone know of a folder that has a built in bottle opener in the handle? I know Gerber, Leatherman and a few others have quasi multi tool/knives that have a fold out opener. I might end up with one of those if I can't find what I'm picturing.
Skip that search and just get a belt buckle opener. :D Then u never need to fish anything out of your pocket, and it's totally hot with the wimins. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
ever see anybody open a beer with a lighter? same principle is how I open beers with my knife. works fine, doesn't damage anything. :beer:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'd say look for the knife you want then find it for the price you want to pay. I got my SOG Aegis Tanto Assisted (MSRP 110) for about 55 bucks. My SOG Vulcan Tanto (VG-10 steel MSRP 180) for 75.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT
2,731 Posts
^ sweet karambit

who made it? fox? emerson cause of the wave feature?

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
My new EDC:

41 - 60 of 109 Posts