VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT
2,731 Posts
^ what is the fixed blade on the left? and is that a 530 on the right?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just picked up a Spyderco Endura with the black FRN handle and VG-10 steel with the saber grind. I absolutely love this knife. Love the size, weight and feel. The solid lock up blade open gives me the utmost confidence this thing can handle just about anything that gets thrown at it. Just a great knife. Very happy with it. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something they can carry for every day tasks but also for self defense if need be.

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
I totally forgot about this thread. :laugh:

I've been carrying my ESEE-4 every day and love this knife. :thumbup:

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
Sell some spare organs? :laugh:

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
Yeah, I really liked the new catalog. I've been wanting to pick up a HEST, but they are getting hard to find since they were discontinued. :(

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
Oh excellent. Great price too. :thumbup:

I've seen some places charging ~$150+ for the HEST.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
the police stole my sog trident tanto when i was arrested in september. I went out and got the same one a few weeks ago. i love this knife

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Over Xmas I got a CRKT Snap Lock, and the KISS, I think either would be good for an EDC

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT
2,731 Posts
Over Xmas I got a CRKT Snap Lock, and the KISS, I think either would be good for an EDC
Be extra careful with the KISS, as the locks are not as strong as they should be. The blade is nice and sharp, but the lock may disengage if you grip it too tight or apply a certain degree of leverage. Frame locks are great when they're designed properly (like a Chris Reeve) but on an unprotected frame lock like the KISS, well just watch out for your fingers.

I wouldn't use it for EDC, it isn't something I can completely trust.

How do you like the snap lock?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Be extra careful with the KISS, as the locks are not as strong as they should be. The blade is nice and sharp, but the lock may disengage if you grip it too tight or apply a certain degree of leverage. Frame locks are great when they're designed properly (like a Chris Reeve) but on an unprotected frame lock like the KISS, well just watch out for your fingers.

I wouldn't use it for EDC, it isn't something I can completely trust.
Wow I didn't even know that, thanks for the tip for what to watch out for.

How do you like the snap lock?
I really like it, it has a nice feel to it, the only thing I would say its missing is some type of grip on it. Other than that I love it.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
i picked up a benchmade mini-griptillian w/ a serated blade a few weeks ago. i know the price is beyond what the op was looking to spend. but i highly recomend this knife. i'm right handed and the tip up carry is perfect. thought i wouldn't like it but after carrying it i wouldn't want it any other way. blade is very sharp and the perfect length. and it weighs next to nothing. for me it's perfect for edc.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
So what is your guys' take on blade type? I have a cheapy knife with a 1/2 serrated blade and I'm not sure I like it... That could be because the blade sucks and/or too short (~2.25") so neither section of the blade is really effective.

Tanto, straight or 1/2 serrated?

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
My EDCs for years were half serrated.

That changed when I lent my Benchmade 690 to someone and they chipped the tip of it. While I was sending it for service, (which I actually never got around to doing) I bought a Kershaw 1760 with a damascus blade, no serrations, as a temp replacement.

I am not going back to half serrated.

I really think that a well sharpened and cared for straight edge is just as good as a serrated at most things, and even better at some.

-Tim

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
So what is your guys' take on blade type? I have a cheapy knife with a 1/2 serrated blade and I'm not sure I like it... That could be because the blade sucks and/or too short (~2.25") so neither section of the blade is really effective.

Tanto, straight or 1/2 serrated?
The last folder I bought (CRKT Denali) had serrations. I didn't use them once. My current EDC (ESEE-4) doesn't have serrations and it's a better knife all around. :thumbup:

·
Registered
21,613 Posts
While I don't normally care what a knife has...I'm more leaning towards Tanto/Straight.

I don't use the serrations on any of my knives. I used to use them cutting dope-bag straps...but a properly sharp normal blade would have done just as well.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts