VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in pothole and steep driveway heaven. I’m looking for a coilover kit which doesn’t drop the TT. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I live in pothole and steep driveway heaven. I’m looking for a coilover kit which doesn’t drop the TT. Any recommendations?
Ohlins Road and Track. They're pricey but well worth the money and both the best handling and most comfortable set of coilovers for our car. The new coilover kits may lower like .5" (OEM TTRS height). I have the strut kit that came out before they started making them will a collared sleeve that allowed you to run OEM springs. Mine have been modified with ground control sleeves and at full drop I'm only half an inch lower than OEM.

You can also change up spring rates. Their coilover kits come with 350lb front and 300lb rear. I'd swap the rears for hypercoils 10" 2.5" ID springs that have a 175lb-500lb rate. Might consider a 375lb or 400lb front. You could run both of those without having to get the struts revalved just run them on a stiffer setting.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-track/audi-tts-8j/

·
Registered
53 Posts
St xta

Another option which is the ST XT-A. Recently installed on my 2013. Replacement after Mag-Rides were leaking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same story with me. a 2013 with 40k. The Magride seems to be toast all over

I'm lost too. so many kits on the market. Just looking for the most durable coil over system for my DD
The BC coilovers I had on my F30 were rusting/stripped after 3 years

I already ordered 032's strut tower reinforcement and mount kit thingy

Are the KW's street set not loved?

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is my DD with a few track days I waited since June for Bilstein B16 PSS10 and finally gave up.

ST a division of kW. I chose the mid-priced XTAs for the included top mounts (like the Clubsports) which allowed camber adjustment, linear front springs with the option of switching out the rear progressives for linear later.

FWIW, from what I read on other sources, kW Cubsports >> v2 by track guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
^oh, my experience with other cars were that the pillow balls were noiser and less reliable on bad streets. if his intentions are just to replace the mag ride without sacrificing much else i would use the oem strut mounts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a Bilstein B12 strut kit with matched eibach springs. It did not lower my TTS. I only do 4-5 track events a year, so adjustability wasn’t a priority for me and I’m happy that’s the route I went.

The overall stiffness is somewhere between the mag ride comfort and sport modes, but big bumps are much smoother.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with Kw V3 bc local vender had a decent price. i cant tell the difference in ride height at max settings. however, the mag rides were absolutely toast. one strut was bent the spring wasnt even tense. i cant tell if the springs were bent, but im glad i didnt just get the strut replacement

1 - 11 of 11 Posts