VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post here so hopefully this is where I should be. I recently bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with 185000km. Car was well cared for, runs great. One day when I was driving the MIL started flashing and the engine was running very rough - only 3 cylinders were firing. Took it to the dealership, and it was throwing fault codes indicating a misfire on cylinder 3 - open circuit on the injector. Dealer replaced the overlay harness to NO2 injector, cam sensor, which seemed to fix the problem. Engine ran great, no MIL.

The next day the MIL came on again, not flashing this time, and the car ran fine. Took it to my mechanic, who found the following fault codes:

17511 - 02 sensor cicuit bank 1, sensor 1, output too low
16684 - random misfire detected
16685 - cyl1 misfire detected
16804 - cat sys bank 1 eff below threshold
17956 - boost pressure contol valve open
17939 - intake camshaft control circuit open
17695 - turbocharger bypass valve open
17645 17647 17648 17646 - fuel injector circuit open on cyl 1,2,3,4

We cleared the codes, but light came on later the same day. I haven't run the codes again, but I'm sure they are the same as listed above . The engine is running perfectly, so I am unsure why these same codes are popping up.

I would really appreciate any input you guys might have on this. My thoughts are that there is a problem with the new overlay harness that was installed. FYI, the coils have been replaced on recall, so no issues there. My mechanic also recommended that I replace my spark plugs, but I doubt that fouled plugs would cause all of these codes.

· Registered
11,960 Posts
I would get it scanned to be sure which code(s) are there, until then you nave no idea if it is those codes or something else. Then go from there.

· Banned
23,624 Posts
try a diff motor harness....something isn;t right.

what sort of SHIAATT is wired into that car..there has got to be some hackjob shait goin on with this thing from the previous owner or something.

· Banned
451 Posts
Hi everyone, first post here so hopefully this is where I should be. I recently bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with 185000km. Car was well cared for, runs great. One day when I was driving the MIL started flashing and the engine was running very rough - only 3 cylinders were firing. Took it to the dealership, and it was throwing fault codes indicating a misfire on cylinder 3 - open circuit on the injector. Dealer replaced the overlay harness to NO2 injector, cam sensor, which seemed to fix the problem. Engine ran great, no MIL.

The next day the MIL came on again, not flashing this time, and the car ran fine. Took it to my mechanic, who found the following fault codes:

17511 - 02 sensor cicuit bank 1, sensor 1, output too low
16684 - random misfire detected
16685 - cyl1 misfire detected
16804 - cat sys bank 1 eff below threshold
17956 - boost pressure contol valve open
17939 - intake camshaft control circuit open
17695 - turbocharger bypass valve open
17645 17647 17648 17646 - fuel injector circuit open on cyl 1,2,3,4

We cleared the codes, but light came on later the same day. I haven't run the codes again, but I'm sure they are the same as listed above . The engine is running perfectly, so I am unsure why these same codes are popping up.

I would really appreciate any input you guys might have on this. My thoughts are that there is a problem with the new overlay harness that was installed. FYI, the coils have been replaced on recall, so no issues there. My mechanic also recommended that I replace my spark plugs, but I doubt that fouled plugs would cause all of these codes.
If the dealer touched it last, why would u bring it to another mechanic???? Bring it right back to the dealer and tell them what they did, didnt fix it and leave it there til it does. As far as the MIL, it comes on if theres an emmisions problem thats all. They need to hook a VAG reader up to it gl, sounds like a FORSALE sign is going in the window:beer:

· Banned
451 Posts
That is sooo not true. MIL=Malfunction Indication Light, it is not only for emissions related malfunctions.
The mil light is for the OBD systems wich is Just to moniter the emmision controls thats all. Being all late 80's + cars have some sort of ECM, its all tied into one. All car makers have somesort of advanced readout thus a VAG system to look past the emmision monitering. And yes the "check engine light is a light to tell the driver that somesort of problem with emmisions is accuring

· Registered
11,960 Posts
Then why would that light come on for an auto tranny code? They do and I have seen it. The ECU logs a code to "Check the TCU" and turns on the MIL.

· Banned
23,624 Posts
The MIL is to give u a status of a problem code..wether emissions or not. It doesn't strictly apply..hence why u get an MIL with a brakeYtrans related code..voltage codes...ecu issues and so on.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.