VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
18,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil recycling, I thought it would be an interesting topic to start.. When you drop off your oil at Autozone or any other place that accepts oil, where does it go? How is it recycled? Does synth oil contaminate conv oil and make it useless? I have heard in the past that it is used for heating, but if it is used for heating, does synth oil burn like conv does?
Discuss...

· Registered
18,870 Posts
You sound like a troll. Can't someone be curious as to what happens 'behind the scenes'?
Believe whatever you wish newbie. :p I'm satisfied in that 1) I'm not overtly polluting, and 2) apparently I'm recycling. I don't need to know the details about #2.

This new forum software sucks.

· Registered
18,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You sound like a troll. Can't someone be curious as to what happens 'behind the scenes'?
Thanks, and yeah, I am truly interested in the process and distribution of used oil.
I was reading about it on some sites and some of it is actually re-refined into "used base stock"

I was a litte more interested if there is any differentiation between conv and synth.. do they get re=refined the same way?

only 10% is re-refined for reuse, some of it is even just filtered out and reused, perhaps this is the makup of super-cheap no-name oil you can get for 99 cents in some places, I don't know.

The majority of it goes into industrial furnaces, turbines, and heating systems. I believe it can also be used as fuel to power some types of industrial engines/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.